Solich Bonus

What I saw was an embarassing end to 2001 with Black Friday and getting run off the field by Miami (does a single person in the entire world believe we deserved to play in that game, anyways?), followed by the first non-9-win season in decades, followed by a season that was an improvement, but still featuring some nasty beatdowns and lack of competitiveness at times. Also not mentioned is the significant drop in recruiting.

And as far as coaches not being scared to come here....well, I disagree. Bill Callahan was the best we could find last time, and he was our 4th or 5th pick.

What I saw was an embarrassing end to 2012, getting run off the field by Wisconsin (does a single person in the entire world believe after that game either team deserved to be there?), followed by who knows what this season (which is why I think a lot is riding on this season). Also, Pelini's recruiting is still up in the air. Every time a season rolls around when we're supposed to count on his kids, they don't show up. See the 2010 class which was Pelini's "best" - A good chunk are gone/busts. That's your juniors/seniors.

And I have a lot more faith in Eichorst than you do. The firing/search was handled like crap. And I wouldn't doubt that we won't get our first pick. Nebraska rarely does. Highly doubt it would be any different after 3 losing seasons. Do you think more people would want to come to Nebraska after that?

Bo has just done little over the last 5 years to prove to me he is anything more than a D-Coordinator. I think he needs to give up that role, and then maybe I could see it more. But he won't hire anyone into it anyway...so it will always be his achilles heel.

(don't forget the embarrassing end to 2010, and 2011 too).

I agree the jury is still out on if Bo is the guy. But I think patience is the way to proceed.

The thing is.....say he has another year or a few more and it's the same thing. So we get rid of him. Who is going to come in that we are confident will certainly do any better? The elite big money guys wont' come, and we don't want them to anyways because they're in it for the bucks. Really anybody proven, to a championship pedigree, is going to be an unlikely hire, so we'll likely have to go to the same route we did when we hired Bo originally.

We deserved to be in the conference championship game last year. Jesus Christ. This is not even a discussion. We won our frickin division. Beat EVERYONE else in our division, on the damn field. That's not even worth discussing as a comparison to backing into an MNC game thanks to a 3 week ridiculous string of upsets and a drunk computer operator that came with .02 points in Nebraska's favor.

Oh, I won't disagree we won our division and were therefor allowed to participate in the game based on all rules that apply. But, backing into the championship because the 2 teams that were better than you were not eligible, then absolutely destroying the opposing team that "deserved" to be there...pretty much means neither team "deserved" to be there. But, heck...at least there was a "game" and it made some money for the conference. I think so anyway, the ramifications of that mess won't be fully felt for a couple of years I'm sure.

We deserved to be in the conference championship game last year. Jesus Christ. This is not even a discussion. We won our frickin division. Beat EVERYONE else in our division, on the damn field. That's not even worth discussing as a comparison to backing into an MNC game thanks to a 3 week ridiculous string of upsets and a drunk computer operator that came with .02 points in Nebraska's favor.

Oh, I won't disagree we won our division and were therefor allowed to participate in the game based on all rules that apply. But, backing into the championship because the 2 teams that were better than you were not eligible, then absolutely destroying the opposing team that "deserved" to be there...pretty much means neither team "deserved" to be there. But, heck...at least there was a "game" and it made some money for the conference. I think so anyway, the ramifications of that mess won't be fully felt for a couple of years I'm sure.

So, you're saying that Louisville and Florida didn't deserve to be in the Sugar Bowl?

The thing is.....say he has another year or a few more and it's the same thing. So we get rid of him. Who is going to come in that we are confident will certainly do any better? The elite big money guys wont' come, and we don't want them to anyways because they're in it for the bucks. Really anybody proven, to a championship pedigree, is going to be an unlikely hire, so we'll likely have to go to the same route we did when we hired Bo originally.

I don't think the elite big money guys will ever come...and maybe that's where I differ from most. Those guys are leaving big money jobs for recruiting hotspots, not for Nebraska. Which means we're going mid major or a program in flux (Al Golden). Where I am coming from is that if he has another 9 win year...the only thing I'll be fairly confident in with Bo is that it isn't going to get much better. And for me that's enough. Could it end up worse? Absolutely...but to me that is a risk worth taking. This program isn't far off. But if Bo can't do it this year, or the next...I just don't see him doing it in the future...so you have to ask yourself, are you happy with the current state of the program? Because that's likely how it will continue without change. If you are fine, support Bo. But, don't everyone continue to be afraid of the outcome of implementing change or taking risk. That's how you end up with the status quo.

Edit: The fact that the most common argument in defending Bo's status as head coach is "you can't fire a 9 win coach" is telling in itself.

• Fire 1

What the hell are you talking about?

We deserved to be in the game by winning our division and beating every team within on the field. End of story. To try to sit here and spin it otherwise just because we didnt show up and get railroaded is complete and utter bullsh#t.

• Fire 3

Edit: The fact that the most common argument in defending Bo's status as head coach is "you can't fire a 9 win coach" is telling in itself.

The goal of a coach is to win games. What exactly is it "telling" of? It means he's doing his job pretty effing well.

Generally when you defend the job someone is doing you don't defend them based on the future applicant but on the achievements of the one you're trying to defend. The first thing thrown out every time anyone discusses the hypothetical departure of Pelini is that the next guy is going to suck so we need to keep Pelini. If he had any major achievements outside of righting the ship, they'd come out long before that argument. But, they never do. It's always "the next guy will suck". He might, or he might win a dozen championships. We don't know. The only thing we know is that the program appears pretty stagnant, if not regressing in competitiveness.

• Fire 2

The goal of a coach is to win games. What exactly is it "telling" of? It means he's doing his job pretty effing well.

Generally when you defend the job someone is doing you don't defend them based on the future applicant but on the achievements of the one you're trying to defend. The first thing thrown out every time anyone discusses the hypothetical departure of Pelini is that the next guy is going to suck so we need to keep Pelini. If he had any major achievements outside of righting the ship, they'd come out long before that argument. But, they never do. It's always "the next guy will suck". He might, or he might win a dozen championships. We don't know. The only thing we know is that the program appears pretty stagnant, if not regressing in competitiveness.

the argument is that the next guy will suck *compared* to bo. bo is doing a pretty good job, and we disagree here, but i think we have yet to see his best. the point is that most would rather give bo more time than become tennessee or miami who just rifle through coaches and unbearable seasons.

The argument of Bo leaving is absurd.

Throw out the W/L, the statistics, sideline behavior, "curb stomping" losses. Throw em out.

Like a previous poster stated: it takes an entire (with a capital C) Culture to be successful at Nebraska.

The facilities and rallies, and stadiums will be half full if we bring in for-hire coaches.

We need Pelini here because he did put the pictures back up, he did reach out to former players, he kicked out the rats and riff raff, he did reconnect the state.

He knows it'll take a guy like burkhead to have a lasting effect on the Culture of a team, to rid a guy like Katchko, etc, to not sow bad seeds. To graduate players first and keep them out of police blotters, to gain confidence of mothers and fathers to send their kid from CA or FL alllll the way to Lincoln.

Then, he'll gain the trust of admissions, of the AD, of the police, of the city, of the state, and finally all of husker nation.

I hate giving up 70 points and 4 losses, but this ain't ur grandmas CFB world anymore. To win at Nebraska, especially after the Callahan DUMPSTER FIRE, is no easy task but Bo is doing it-- and doing it the right way.

Bo is doing so well, it's not even funny.

If solich had stayed, after 7-7 to 10-3...he may have turned it around and left Bo in the same place Tom left him. What we know for sure is if a guy doesn't build the right Culture here (cally) he will fail. And Bo is building the Culture first.

• Fire 1