Marijuana and Football Players

Back to the original question. Just because something is legal in your state, doesn't mean it can't be a violation of team/company rules.

From the perspective of my company, drinking alcohol at 6AM is legal. But my company rules state that you can't be drinking before you jump on a forklift. If one of my warehouse guys come to work smelling like booze, they are dismissed for the day. Too many times of this happening and they are dismissed for good.

The same would go for weed if it becomes legal in Minnesota for recreational use.

It all depends on what you are talking about as far as addiction. Is it a Physical dependency or Mental. A mental dependency means you use it for the high and how that part makes you feel. Physical means you use it as a tool to be able to manage a physical part of your life. Both can be known as an addiction but not both of them are bad.

Back to the original question. Just because something is legal in your state, doesn't mean it can't be a violation of team/company rules.

From the perspective of my company, drinking alcohol at 6AM is legal. But my company rules state that you can't be drinking before you jump on a forklift. If one of my warehouse guys come to work smelling like booze, they are dismissed for the day. Too many times of this happening and they are dismissed for good.

The same would go for weed if it becomes legal in Minnesota for recreational use.

Problem is, you can knock back a sixer of Busch every night after work and be sober for work the next day. If you take a few puffs on a j every night, the THC may still be in your system even though the use may not be high.

It all depends on what you are talking about as far as addiction. Is it a Physical dependency or Mental. A mental dependency means you use it for the high and how that part makes you feel. Physical means you use it as a tool to be able to manage a physical part of your life. Both can be known as an addiction but not both of them are bad.

I understand the difference, but imo if you're addicted you're addicted. I'm not going to differentiate why, you are using to make up for something.

Problem is, you can knock back a sixer of Busch every night after work and be sober for work the next day. If you take a few puffs on a j every night, the THC may still be in your system even though the use may not be high.

You are correct. I guess my point was that even if weed became legal in Minnesota for recreational use, we still wouldn't allow employees to use our equipment if they used. I they had an accident and tested positive, they would be let go.

You are correct. I guess my point was that even if weed became legal in Minnesota for recreational use, we still wouldn't allow employees to use our equipment if they used. I they had an accident and tested positive, they would be let go.

Now that that weed is legalized in some places, there are labs trying to find a way to test for recent marijuana use, like a breathalyzer for alcohol. I think it's mainly for driving impairment testing, but companies would be able to use it eventually.

Von Miller still got suspended from the Broncos for smoking weed.

That said, I'd rather them be smoking weed than drinking. Not addictive like alcohol nor can it kill people like alcohol can.

I think that is just a personal opinion. I actually know way more people who smoke on a regular basis, than people that smoke. They are both equally addictive, in my opinion.

I respectfully disagree and I have numerous friends that were marijuana users in their past that would disagree with you too.

Disagree all you want. Both are drugs and therefore, both are addictive.

What a weird attempt to prove a flawed assumption.

Just hope no Huskers get caught with Tylanol in their system.

• Fire 1

Von Miller still got suspended from the Broncos for smoking weed.

That said, I'd rather them be smoking weed than drinking. Not addictive like alcohol nor can it kill people like alcohol can.

I think that is just a personal opinion. I actually know way more people who smoke on a regular basis, than people that smoke. They are both equally addictive, in my opinion.

I respectfully disagree and I have numerous friends that were marijuana users in their past that would disagree with you too.

Disagree all you want. Both are drugs and therefore, both are addictive.

What a weird attempt to prove a flawed assumption.

Just hope no Huskers get caught with Tylanol in their system.

Let's hope they don't OD on it. Good thing you can't overdose on marijuana.

There are state laws but then again there company/school guidelines. They might not always agree.

I would pick alcohol over marijuana. Marijuana stays in your system longer. If the substance becomes a problem then I would pursue more aggressive testing.

THC (marijuana) stays in your system longer because your body doesn't consider it to be a bad thing. alcohol and the other illegal drugs are out of your system in a few days because your body views it as poison, and as such tries to purge it as quickly as possible. it tries to hold on to THC, which should tell you all that you need to know about how bad they are for you. if we're going on a strictly "how bad is it for you" scale, alcohol is much worse. the only real danger from marijuana is damage to your lungs, and there are ways to ingest THC that no longer require you to smoke it. you shouldn't smoke it and drive around, but you shouldn't after drinking either, which we all know is a common enough occurrence.

AnswerReponse3-2.gif

That's not how bodies work. At all.

Didn't you know cancer is good for the body. Thats why the body holds on to it.

20110916-marijuana-stupid.jpg

It doesn't matter if it's addictive or not. It doesn't matter if it's better or worse for you than alcohol. It doesn't matter if it's legal or illegal. We're talking about usage by high level D1 athletes. It should not be tolerated in the team environment. I sure wouldn't allow it on my team, if I wanted my team to perform at peak efficiency. I guarantee you smokin the ganja is not helping players perform better on the field. No sense analyzing it any further than that.

• Fire 3

It doesn't matter if it's addictive or not. It doesn't matter if it's better or worse for you than alcohol. It doesn't matter if it's legal or illegal. We're talking about usage by high level D1 athletes. It should not be tolerated in the team environment. I sure wouldn't allow it on my team, if I wanted my team to perform at peak efficiency. I guarantee you smokin the ganja is not helping players perform better on the field. No sense analyzing it any further than that.

Neither is eating Burger King, but you aren't going to prevent your players from that.

• Fire 1

Neither is eating Burger King, but you aren't going to prevent your players from that.

You're sure as hell going to try to prevent it. These guys are not your average run of the mill college student. A lot more can and should be expected of them. It's incredibly easy to not play D1 college football. But, if you sign up to play at a place like Nebraska, then you need to do things better. That includes avoiding alcohol, weed, drugs, fast food, etc. If any player can't handle that responsibility then I'm sure they would be more than welcome to participate in flag football or rec center ball.

Heck, when my son ran cross country in high school they were prohibited from drinking sodas or eating fast food. It isn't out of line to expect these guys to live a little cleaner and avoid things that are detrimental to their performance.

• Fire 2

You're sure as hell going to try to prevent it. These guys are not your average run of the mill college student. A lot more can and should be expected of them. It's incredibly easy to not play D1 college football. But, if you sign up to play at a place like Nebraska, then you need to do things better. That includes avoiding alcohol, weed, drugs, fast food, etc. If any player can't handle that responsibility then I'm sure they would be more than welcome to participate in flag football or rec center ball.

Heck, when my son ran cross country in high school they were prohibited from drinking sodas or eating fast food. It isn't out of line to expect these guys to live a little cleaner and avoid things that are detrimental to their performance.

They are still human beings that deserve to enjoy living life. You can ask them to avoid/limit it, but if you think you can prevent them from having a Mountain Dew before 8 am class, you're nuts.

Turner Gill thought players should live up to some mythical higher standard at Kansas. How'd that work out for him?

That's right, they are still human beings and they can choose how they want to live their life. And football teams can set reasonable limits on their behavior. They can choose to avoid that garbage in their lives or they can choose to get drunk, high, or eat like sh#t and they can do something other than play D1 football. It's not rocket science.

Look at it this way, you take your team of drinkers, tokers, and fast food fatties and put them up against my team, where that behavior is not allowed, all other things being equal, who's going to win that contest 9 out of 10 times? Spare me the "but they're just college students like everyone else" bs. They are high level athletes that can be held to a higher standard. The choice is theirs.

• Fire 3