#16 in Both Polls

I guess I am still not ready to say FSU wins out.

They still have to play

@ Louisville

@ Miami

Virginia

BC

On paper non of those teams should be too much problem, but they are all ok teams that if FSU plays bad they could lose to. FSU got lucky against NCState and they aren't very good. I particularly like the @ Louisville it is a Thursday night game.

Theres always a possibility that they have to play one of those games without Infamous Jameis.

The real question is this, if we went to a playoff system, why a 4 team playoff system? Why not 8?

SEC Champ

B10 Champ

B12 Champ

PAC Champ

ACC Champ

3 Wild Cards

Because one of the things that makes college football so great is that every week is life or death - you feel like you can't ever screw up and drop a game or you're screwed.

If it expands to 8 then when Bama or Oregon or whoever drop a game early, the opinion will be "eh. not a big deal. they'll rebound and still make it."

I think 6 teams with 1 and 2 getting byes is the sweet spot.

Ummm....that's already happening. Look at the talk about which one loss teams deserve to be in.

And...for the record, this has been happening for a very long time. Look at Alabama winning the championship when they didn't even win their division. Look at us in 2001 playing for it when we didn't win our division. Neither team should have been in the championship game because they didn't win their conference.

Also, if you take conference champions, EVERY GAME STILL MATTERS because you have to win your conference.

If you're undefeated, you deserve to be at the top.

Marshall says hi.

Oh, what's that? They shouldn't get in because SOS has to be factored into the equation? I see.

If Alabama or Ole Miss finish 11-1 with top five SOS rankings, they will and should be included over a 12-1 FSU or a 12-1 Michigan State with an SOS in the 30-50 range. The fact that the latter teams happened to be in mediocre conferences while the former are in a very good conference is not up to them. The "conference champion" tag does not arbitrarily give you a whatever-it-is-you-need-to-pass-the-better-teams-in-front-of-you boost.

Slow your roll there, playa.

I think you're jumping the gun a bit to declare already what's going to happen at the end of the year. You'll get no argument from me that MSU and FSU haven't played the toughest schedules this year, compared to the SEC. But if the argument that the SEC rankings are inflated anyway is out there, the SOS of SEC teams is also also inflated.

Beyond that, don't forget that there are two ex-coaches on that playoff committee now. Old school, Big 10 coaches. I think that the rest of the committee, if faced with tough choices between several talented one loss teams, May lean on the ex-coaches to choose the best of those teams. And I think ex-coaches, especially with no SEC experience, would be less likely to be swayed by the might of the awesome SEC SOS and instead place higher value on conference champions.

The real question is this, if we went to a playoff system, why a 4 team playoff system? Why not 8?

SEC Champ

B10 Champ

B12 Champ

PAC Champ

ACC Champ

3 Wild Cards

Because one of the things that makes college football so great is that every week is life or death - you feel like you can't ever screw up and drop a game or you're screwed.

If it expands to 8 then when Bama or Oregon or whoever drop a game early, the opinion will be "eh. not a big deal. they'll rebound and still make it."

Ummm....that's already happening. Look at the talk about which one loss teams deserve to be in.

And...for the record, this has been happening for a very long time. Look at Alabama winning the championship when they didn't even win their division. Look at us in 2001 playing for it when we didn't win our division. Neither team should have been in the championship game because they didn't win their conference.

Also, if you take conference champions, EVERY GAME STILL MATTERS because you have to win your conference.

It's not a matter of on or off, it's a matter of degree.

The point is that it would happen more and that games would matter less. Not that it never happened and mattered and now it happens and doesn't matter.

And if you take conference champions then out of conference doesn't matter.

SEC Champ

B10 Champ

B12 Champ

PAC Champ

ACC Champ

3 Wild Cards

The point is that it would happen more and that games would matter less. Not that it never happened and mattered and now it happens and doesn't matter.

but more games matter because in a world where you are out after a loss, every game after that loss really does not matter. like, neb. gets to hope to be one of four teams in the playoff now even with our loss to msu. but last year? we would just be hoping for a bcs appearance. games still matter even after a loss. they always have, but they are more meaningful to more teams now.

SEC Champ

B10 Champ

B12 Champ

PAC Champ

ACC Champ

3 Wild Cards

but more games matter because in a world where you are out after a loss, every game after that loss really does not matter. like, neb. gets to hope to be one of four teams in the playoff now even with our loss to msu. but last year? we would just be hoping for a bcs appearance. games still matter even after a loss. they always have, but they are more meaningful to more teams now.

Yes...that's why the playoff is a good thing. A sweet spot, if you will.

But that's also why 8 teams would be too many, in my opinion. 4, and even 6, still creates a sense of urgency in performing well every single week but gives just enough grace with the safe assumption that all but 1-2 teams will stumble along the way.

Yes...that's why the playoff is a good thing. A sweet spot, if you will.

But that's also why 8 teams would be too many, in my opinion. 4, and even 6, still creates a sense of urgency in performing well every single week but gives just enough grace with the safe assumption that all but 1-2 teams will stumble along the way.

i think 6 is good but 8 is just right. i get what you are saying. i would be happy with 6. but with 8 you could have the 5 conf. champs and 3 at large bids. that would be pretty exciting and make the conf. champs like a play-in. or just top 8. but then if it is just the top teams, 6 probably suffices. i think with 8, there will still be a sense of urgency, plus you could reward the top 2-4 with byes.

• Fire 1

Agreed. I think eight is the magic number.

Of course, a few years from now we'll have eight. Then it'll be such a success they'll expand it to 12, or maybe 16, and screw up the whole thing.

yeah, i think any more than eight is gratuitous and just another money grab. if you can't be a top 8 team, you have no argument for being there.