Player tweets on Pelini firing

Mauro Bondi@mbondi37[/size] 13m13 minutes ago

Bo talks to us like we're his own kids and EIchorst talks to us like we're the media. Coach Bo is man and a father figure! Thanks coach #FOE

Said the guy who posted this to the public on Twitter. Gosh, why would Shawn measure his words?

Bondi's tweet stuck out to me, too. At the risk of looking too closely into words which may have been chosen off-the-cuff, Bondi equates Eichorst's behavior toward the players to how "the media" is treated.

But... how is the media treated? What metric is he using to measure that? Presumably he's using Bo's, and Bo famously has great disdain for the media. That is not a healthy metric by which to measure anything.

That line about "the media" struck me as symptomatic of the bunker mentality we've seen from North Stadium. The sooner that mentality is washed away from this team the better. If for no other reason, ridding ourselves of that mentality is worth a coaching change.

The players were informed about the firing through a publicist crafted email on a Sunday morning. That sounds exactly like how the administration treated the media.

Did you hear about past players who learned that their coaches were fired by hearing about it on ESPN or from their parents? I'm not saying that it was ideal, but it was a holiday weekend-- at least they were contacted directly. I mean, would it have seemed better if it were a certified letter? Is it bad just because it's email? I'll bet it was very formal and thoughtul and contained no "LOLs," "FWIWs," "ROFLMAOs," or emoticons. It was the fastest and most reliable way to get a letter to the team, dispersed as they were, quickly. No matter what he did, there would have been criticism of the method-- "He let us know in a meeting he called that morning! We couldn't all make it. Bad form" or "He had a Skype conference! We weren't talking to our girls back home. No respect" and on and on. It's just picking out one tangible detail that is commonly used as shorthand for "lazy" or "off-the-cuff" to criticize someone their angry at. Without a solid argument to counter the main points (can't win the big games, stagnant, no national presence) the method of the delivery of the message is attacked.

• Fire 1

People are really over-reacting to the players reactions. The vast majority of the players just want to play football and will be ready to go about 5 minutes after the new coach arrives on campus.

The few ones that are fiercely loyal to the old coach and let that become a negative influence on the team(which happens with EVERY coaching changed) will be weeded out in due time.

• Fire 3

Could have seen this coming. It's been this whole "Us against the world: The other teams, our university, our AD, our fans, the media, most of our parents" mentality. It's a defense mechanism Bo employed when the heat got turned up early on and he lost his cool. And he's a players coach. And of course the players now think that it's only because of our university, our AD, our fans, and the media that Bo was unjustifiably fired and now the poor players will have to be subject to the attacks of the entire world without Bo to guide them through it safely.

What a jacked up sense of reality. More than his failure to ever win a big game, this mentality is why I wanted him out.

• Fire 1

I don't use Twitter, but what I've seen of it, I would be happy to see it go up in a ball of flames. People seem to say things that they would never say in person. Things that are said get taken out of context or misinterpreted. A couple of jerk fans make rude comments to players (or coaches) and all of a sudden, all of the fans are jerks. Some people are jerks in person, but most people would not say things in person that they so boldly say on the internet.

I have always supported the players and I always will. I think this is true of 99% of the Husker fans. A few comments by jerkwads should not be interpreted as being representative of the fan base.

I would like the players to know that the NU fans do appreciate their efforts, and we do care. The few jerkwads that are throwing insults should be ignored.

People are really over-reacting to the players reactions. The vast majority of the players just want to play football and will be ready to go about 5 minutes after the new coach arrives on campus.

The few ones that are fiercely loyal to the old coach and let that become a negative influence on the team(which happens with EVERY coaching changed) will be weeded out in due time.

I agree. No sense bouncing off the walls now. Although I do think the long term bunker mentality instilled by Bo may make this case a little rougher transition than it would've had to be. It is unfortunate that some of these players aren't exhibiting a little more class, restraint, and prudence with some of their comments but they aren't fully mature and haven't learned a lot of life's lessons yet. I will say, the more of this that comes out, can't help but sour a person on Pelini. I was done with him as a coach that wasn't showing signs of getting over the hump but this, this situation really makes me dislike him in a more personal way. Oh well, this too shall pass.

But the players were away for the holidays after the Iowa game. How else t do you tell them ?? Wait for all of them to get back ?? I think not.

Michigan managed to get everybody together to have a team meeting and tell their players face to face and in person.

I guess some people can do things and some people explain why they couldn't.

But the players were away for the holidays after the Iowa game. How else t do you tell them ?? Wait for all of them to get back ?? I think not.

Michigan managed to get everybody together to have a team meeting and tell their players face to face and in person.

I guess some people can do things and some people explain why they couldn't.

Oh boo f'ing hoo. They knew Hoke was going to be gone for most of the season. It was widely known and expected. Our situation was different. Can we drop the feeling sorry because the players got an email/text message instead of a face to face meeting. Hell, I thought kids nowadays preferred texts and email to all other forms of communication. Face it, it's just a weak ass excuse to complain about Eichorst and the only people it really bothered wanted Bo to stay.
  • Fire 2

This is just what kids do now, they get mad and vent it on the internet, for better or more often worse. Hell plenty of adults including many huskerfans do it. Don't forget our passion can be a double-edged sword. Kids are mercurial, they'll get over it. They got on board with Callahan after Solich got canned and Riley seems significantly more personable than BC.