Special Education Teachers

The turnover rate has much more to do with national standards and the taking away of creativity, telling teachers what they can and can't be.

It's funny because in college all we heard was to diversify your teaching to reach all kids. Yet, the schools tell all teachers to use the same methods.

New teachers (less than 5 years) benefit from having a dictated framework as opposed to admin saying "Here's your room, see you at the year end check out" Chicago school district was more successful in retaining teachers with a very rigid structure "At 10:07 all 5th grade teachers will be on page 47 of the book".

The problem as Coach says, is with the veteran teachers who had the experience with diversifying, teachable moments, etc and still "got the job done"

Very interesting....and this approach is working?

This way, new teachers can concentrate of classroom management versus hours on lesson plans.

The turnover rate has much more to do with national standards and the taking away of creativity, telling teachers what they can and can't be.

It's funny because in college all we heard was to diversify your teaching to reach all kids. Yet, the schools tell all teachers to use the same methods.

New teachers (less than 5 years) benefit from having a dictated framework as opposed to admin saying "Here's your room, see you at the year end check out" Chicago school district was more successful in retaining teachers with a very rigid structure "At 10:07 all 5th grade teachers will be on page 47 of the book".

The problem as Coach says, is with the veteran teachers who had the experience with diversifying, teachable moments, etc and still "got the job done"

Very interesting....and this approach is working?

This way, new teachers can concentrate of classroom management versus hours on lesson plans.

It improved the retention rate of first year teachers in a poor urban district. Many experienced teachers left because of the micro-management. If they set different standards for newbies and for experienced - it would work.

Lesson Plans.

There is way too much stock put into Lesson Plans and less stock put on the actual development of students.

Lesson Plans are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have taught less than 3 years.

Admin rule #1 - One size fits all

Lesson Plans.

There is way too much stock put into Lesson Plans and less stock put on the actual development of students.

You crack me up! We think the same exact things! ha

Lesson Plans.

I don't think I ever turned in lesson plans the last 5-6 years that I taught. My administrators didn't really worry about it with veteran teachers.

Lesson Plans.

I don't think I ever turned in lesson plans the last 5-6 years that I taught. My administrators didn't really worry about it with veteran teachers.

That is sweet! You should see the cluster f#*k way we have to turn them in.

• 2 months later...

I'm bumping this topic tonight because I've dealt with my wife being in tears for the last 2 weeks about her job and how fvcking unbelievably stressful it is. Part of it is administration but the other part is due to the shear hours she has to put in.

I posted this on facebook tonight to my friends to see if anyone had any opinions on it. But in my mind something needs to happen with special education teachers.

"Tonights topic: Special Education.

Why is there such a revolving door for special education teachers in Nebraska/America? Here is why...because they make no money for the amount of hours they have to put in on a daily basis (including weekends). I did the math tonight because I know what my wife does on a daily basis.

In a 30 day cycle, she puts in close to 400 hours WORKING for these kids in a special education system. 400 hours. 400 hours. I'll say it again. 400 hours. What does a regular 8-5 job work? 40 hours a week which is 176 hours in 30 days.

So back to the 400 hours, which I included the 1.5 hours each day it takes her to get ready and commute 50 mins to her job and back round trip. Break all this down by how much we bring home a month and she makes 2 dollars less than minimum wage.

She has a Bachelor's degree and spent all that time working her tail off to earn it, to make 2 dollars less than the people at mcdonalds? Ya. The education system is broken. It needs re-evaluated, especially for special ed teachers. This is not acceptable.

By the way the exact number comes out to $5.26 an hour. Chew on that."

I'm bumping this topic tonight because I've dealt with my wife being in tears for the last 2 weeks about her job and how fvcking unbelievably stressful it is. Part of it is administration but the other part is due to the shear hours she has to put in.

I posted this on facebook tonight to my friends to see if anyone had any opinions on it. But in my mind something needs to happen with special education teachers.

"Tonights topic: Special Education.

Why is there such a revolving door for special education teachers in Nebraska/America? Here is why...because they make no money for the amount of hours they have to put in on a daily basis (including weekends). I did the math tonight because I know what my wife does on a daily basis.

In a 30 day cycle, she puts in close to 400 hours WORKING for these kids in a special education system. 400 hours. 400 hours. I'll say it again. 400 hours. What does a regular 8-5 job work? 40 hours a week which is 176 hours in 30 days.

So back to the 400 hours, which I included the 1.5 hours each day it takes her to get ready and commute 50 mins to her job and back round trip. Break all this down by how much we bring home a month and she makes 2 dollars less than minimum wage.

She has a Bachelor's degree and spent all that time working her tail off to earn it, to make 2 dollars less than the people at mcdonalds? Ya. The education system is broken. It needs re-evaluated, especially for special ed teachers. This is not acceptable.

By the way the exact number comes out to $5.26 an hour. Chew on that."

I agree with everything you posted except for the commute - other jobs involve commuting and in bigger cities it is much more. Still that leaves about 367 hours which is still crazy. Might bump up the pay to $5.40

Also, one last bit of advice...if you are thinking about teaching...I would take down that FB post. I know many many many administrators that will go right to FB before they even interview you. Yes, they are crazy ones but there are a lot of crazy ones.

This is true. I know OPS checks this when hiring. I always tell my student teachers or people doing practicum to be smart with what they post.

My wife teaches kids that have learning disabilities and are troubled. She deals with a lot of sh#t on a daily basis from being cussed at and having chairs and desks thrown at her. There are days where she just comes home and unloads on me about how things are run at school and that it is sad that it will probably stay this way. I can tell you that she doesn't get paid what she should for having to deal with the crap that goes on.

I'm not the expert in this situation. However, I know several special ed teachers that don't put that many hours in and they love their jobs. Yes, they are in Nebraska.

I guess I have a question in an attempt to learn more.

What is she doing that takes that many hours? You have school roughly from 8:00 am - 3:30 pm during the week. What is she doing outside those hours that takes so much time?