This concept of "talent" of which we speak...

Bowfin

How much talent does Houston have?

Per the recruiting rankings, not much at all.

Per the on the field product, apparently enough to beat a recruiting darling.

They also went out and hired a freaking boss-ass-coach
Interesting back story on Tom is that he was not very successful at ISU. Meyer may have saved his career.

Makes me wonder who has been missed due to being caught in the wrong situation on the wrong staff.

In other news, the Frost posted a resounding win over the weekend - the first for UCF since 2014.

Interesting back story on Tom is that he was not very successful at ISU. Meyer may have saved his career.

Makes me wonder who has been missed due to being caught in the wrong situation on the wrong staff.

In other news, the Frost posted a resounding win over the weekend - the first for UCF since 2014.

Lots of talent in the Houston area. The star rating system is flawed. Because it rates kids on what they look like now and not what they may be like in a couple of years. A 6'3" 230# LB that runs 4.6 forty. is gong to be rated higher than a 6'1" 200# LB that runs a 4.6. When they are both sophs the first kid now weighs 240 and the second kid weights 235. They both still run 4.6. Not a lot of difference at that point. But the first kid was a high 4* and the other was a middle of the road 3* coming out of HS.

Combine that with good coaching and you have Houston. I think most seem to forget that Houston was playing at a pretty high level when Herman got to the program. The one thing I think he as made them better at is playing physical.

Lots of talent in the Houston area. The star rating system is flawed. Because it rates kids on what they look like now and not what they may be like in a couple of years. A 6'3" 230# LB that runs 4.6 forty. is gong to be rated higher than a 6'1" 200# LB that runs a 4.6. When they are both sophs the first kid now weighs 240 and the second kid weights 235. They both still run 4.6. Not a lot of difference at that point. But the first kid was a high 4* and the other was a middle of the road 3* coming out of HS.

Combine that with good coaching and you have Houston. I think most seem to forget that Houston was playing at a pretty high level when Herman got to the program. The one thing I think he as made them better at is playing physical.

Sure, the star system has flaws and it makes mistakes, but there are mountains of data out there showing that it does work. It's come a long way since even 10 years ago, and is light years different than 20 years ago.

My issue with the ranking system isn't the system itself, but people's perceptions of it. Many treat it as the ultimate deciding factor for team and program success when that is not the case at all. Look at USC, a program that consistently hauls in top ranked talent yet hasn't been a dominant program since Carroll left.

And as I stated earlier, Nebraska is a good example as well. Lackluster coaching is, in my opinion, the biggest reason Nebraska has been unable to win a conference title in almost two decades. There has been enough talent in this program to win a conference title since 1999.

Sure, the star system has flaws and it makes mistakes, but there are mountains of data out there showing that it does work. It's come a long way since even 10 years ago, and is light years different than 20 years ago.

My issue with the ranking system isn't the system itself, but people's perceptions of it. Many treat it as the ultimate deciding factor for team and program success when that is not the case at all. Look at USC, a program that consistently hauls in top ranked talent yet hasn't been a dominant program since Carroll left.

And as I stated earlier, Nebraska is a good example as well. Lackluster coaching is, in my opinion, the biggest reason Nebraska has been unable to win a conference title in almost two decades. There has been enough talent in this program to win a conference title since 1999.

Yeah there has been some years that NU should have won a title. The 09,10 years are obvious. They were not that off of OU in 2006. A lot would point to 2012, but that team was all smoke and mirrors. I wasn't surprised they lost to Wisconsin, but was surpised at how bad it was. I do think they have had the talent to win their division since about 2009 on though.

They also went out and hired a freaking boss-ass-coach...

who will likely be in Baton Rouge or god knows where this time of year next year. Certainly wont be in Houston.

I did not even think about LSU...man, you might be right. I think he is from Texas so LSU would not be all that far off and lets face it...they will toss him a contract worth about 5 million a year with an asst pool of probably 4-5 million to work with.

Herman has an "it" factor to him, like Meyer does...he is like a young Meyer...he just seems to make his guys believe they are going to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VLzJX8CRzM

Miles is already dun. That loss saturday was the dagger. Unless he goes unbeaten from here. But with that offense it's not happening. Im not a Les Miles fan. Never have been. Nothing about his program suggests solid coaching. Just riding on the shirttails of incredible talent. And i think ppl of LSU have finally seen it the same way. What transpired at Lambeau Saturday was complete and utter garbage.

this is kneejerk with 11 games to go, but if Texas were smart (LOL, right?) theyll stick with Strong. I'd really like what I see transpiring in Austin if I were a texas fan right now. It's taken him a couple years, but he's instilled his culture. Gonna be interested where they go from here. Im a Strong fan.

I agree. I've never been much of a fan of Miles either. I'd definitely put him in the same camp as Mack Brown. Don't you suppose this is why he wouldn't and didn't take the Michigan job before Hoke was hired?

I also like Strong at Texas, but I do question his perceptions on staff. Isn't he on his fourth OC in three years?

But I could work harder and be trained and coached by to top twenty football coaches of all time as measured by anyone's standards, and could NEVER be good enough to start and play QB at Nebraska. I am not big, strong or fast enough and certainly am too old, etc.

Yep, one of those could keep you out. Those other three remind me of what Jim Skow's NFL coach used to say about his size: "If he's good enough, he's big enough."

• 2 weeks later...