Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

It's great that people feel they can come up with solutions to personally represent someone else's idea and method of protest...but that's not their prerogative or right. One doesn't get to tell people when or where to protest as they see fit. It's the right of every American to do whatever peaceful protest they desire as long as it is within the framework set out by the constitution and any laws at the federal and state level.

• Saying, "this wasn't the time for that protest" is ignorant to the maximum. It isn't the time for you...but it IS the time for them and thus, it is RIGHT.
  • Saying, "this isn't the place for that protest" is ignorant to the maximum...it's not the place for YOU...but it is the place for them and thus, it is RIGHT.
  • Saying, "this isn't the way they should be protesting" is ignorant to the maximum...it's not the way YOU would protest...but it is the way they did and thus, it is RIGHT.

People choose when, where, how, and why they protest and it is their constitutional right to do so...regardless of whether anyone agrees or not. People either remain angry, irritated, and ignorant or they enlighten themselves and move on past the issue...arguing that a constitutionally exercised right is anything except constitutional is a moot point. No one has to agree with the protesters...but you HAVE to agree that the protest was within their RIGHT to do so...and thus, was an exercise of the rights of all Americans.

Disagreeing with the exercise of the right to protest is disagreeing with America as a whole and really craps on anything that the troops fight for or the flag stands for.

:yeah THIS. Drop the mic. Thank you.

How much of this is in easily accessible public record that someone who doesn't know you personally can find out all about what you're doing towards a cause you believe in?

I will gladly give you the name of the guy teaching at CCC-Platte who asks me to come talk every year. I can give you the number for the Columbus Rescue Mission and you can talk to the Chaplain there. I can also line you up with Mayor Mike Moser and see if he remembers me going around with police chief Gumm on whether he can "ruin someone's day".

However, if my "background check" proves out, will you disappear from the forum for a year? I mean, if you call a bluff in poker and it's not a bluff, you lose, right? That will be YOUR skin in the game. Are we on, Landlord? Put up or shut up time! I'll disappear forever if it doesn't check out.

Do any of the moderators want to "referee" this bet, so it can be validated by a neutral party?

People choose when, where, how, and why they protest and it is their constitutional right to do so...regardless of whether anyone agrees or not.

Not really. Remember way back when the two guys ran out on to Wrigley Field to burn the flag, and Cubs outfielder Rick Monday dashed over and snatched it from them? They didn't get to sue Rick Monday.

How much of this is in easily accessible public record that someone who doesn't know you personally can find out all about what you're doing towards a cause you believe in?

I will gladly give you the name of the guy teaching at CCC-Platte who asks me to come talk every year. I can give you the number for the Columbus Rescue Mission and you can talk to the Chaplain there. I can also line you up with Mayor Mike Moser and see if he remembers me going around with police chief Gumm on whether he can "ruin someone's day".

However, if my "background check" proves out, will you disappear from the forum for a year? I mean, if you call a bluff in poker and it's not a bluff, you lose, right? That will be YOUR skin in the game. Are we on, Landlord? Put up or shut up time! I'll disappear forever if it doesn't check out.

Do any of the moderators want to "referee" this bet, so it can be validated by a neutral party?

You misunderstand my point. I'm not casting doubt on what you say you've done. I believe you. Basically, I'm saying you should shut up about what Michael Rose-Ivey is or is not doing, because you as a total stranger really have no idea what he's up to that doesn't happen to be highly publicized.

• Fire 1

I'm saying you should shut up about what Michael Rose-Ivey is or is not doing, because you as a total stranger really have no idea what he's up to that doesn't happen to be highly publicized.

Well if Rose-Ivey is doing something constructive and out of the public eye, that's a positive thing. The kneeling thing, not so much.

We can agree on the former and have a disagreement on the latter.

My apologies for misreading your post as calling me out. Much of my churlishness about such things comes from the feeling that the needs around us so far outnumber those willing to address them to the point it seems a losing battle. A person could use up all of their time and money and energy and not even make a dent, so it seems.

I want to see someone willing to pay a price for what they believe or it is just theatrics. I don't want to see someone post on Facebook about litter or write a letter to the editor, I want someone to show up on a Saturday morning with a pointy stick and several trash bags. I want Michael Rose-Ivey to go to the police station and talk to the police. I want to see Michael Rose-Ivey go to North Omaha and talk to the young men there. I want to see Michael Rose-Ivey get together with the police and young men together and start a dialogue. That's what I do, that's what I expect from everybody else if they want to be taken seriously.

Tell me, where would YOU personally see MRI with trash bags on a Saturday morning? Do you hang out at the police station to see him talking with them?

Because it sure seems like you're insinuating that he isn't doing any of these things, and even if you're not, which you totally are, you're framing this insane scenario where MRI and others aren't accomplishing anything unless you personally witness it.

• Fire 1

Yeah, sorry, you're wrong.

Former presidential candidate was shouted down and booed off of HIS OWN stage for saying "All lives matter."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/18/politics/martin-omalley-all-lives-matter/

Black Lives Matter Co-Founder: ‘All Lives Matter’ a Racial Slur, ‘White Folks Gotta Give Up Something’

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/02/23/black-lives-matter-co-founder-all-lives-matter-a-racial-slur/

Every Time You Say “All Lives Matter” You Are Being an Accidental Racist

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jesse-damiani/every-time-you-say-all-li_1_b_11004780.html

Obama Explains The Problem With ‘All Lives Matter’

"...“I think the reason that the organizers used the phrase “black lives matter” was not because they were suggesting nobody else’s lives matter,” he said. “What they were suggesting was, there is a specific problem that is happening in the African-American community that’s not happening in other communities. And that is a legitimate issue that we’ve got to address.” --Barack Obama

https://thinkprogress.org/obama-explains-the-problem-with-all-lives-matter-780912d54888#.dtnb7120l

So landlord, if you disagree with me, take it up with the founder of Black Lives Matter and your president. Oh, and the Black Lives Matter crowd to which your link pointed is mostly white, so that might be damning to the point you are trying to make.

As for the second link, I think All Lives Matter and I said something when it happened, so that article is disingenuous and discredited. I have been pointing out the disturbing trends in police shootings before Rose-Ivey was born, back in the time of Waco and Ruby Ridge, but I do want to thank him for his kneeling to make me aware that I wasn't really aware.

Basic logic. It’s reasonable to expect that if you’d had to witness the gross injustices committed against those in non-white communities, you would understand why “All Lives Matter” is so harmful. You would understand that it is in fact you who is missing the point.

Try reading and comprehending your links. Saying "All lives matter" is dismissing minorities that don't enjoy many of the same privileges as white people.

• Fire 1

You think I was stating an opinion? That's cute.

I think you are missing the main point of this thread is that nobody else is required to give you a venue to exercise the First Amendment...not on a website, not in a newspaper, not on the radio, and not in a stadium. Nobody owes anybody else a stage, and if they barge in on anybody else's, then they deserve to get thrown off of it. That especially includes blocking traffic and shutting down bridges and ruining public events.

So is it still cute if I don't think you are stating an opinion but instead are just plain ass wrong? :wub:

you're framing this insane scenario where MRI and others aren't accomplishing anything unless you personally witness it.

If you know of something he is doing, please share, but don't expect me to prove a negative. We both know that is impossible.

My guess is that we would have heard of it by now through the Husker media, since we heard of Abdullah's and McMullen's and Burkhead's service to the community. I find it odd that they would do a media black out on good press for Rose-Ivey (especially Rose-Ivey) if he was doing something, don't you? I mean, he hasn't shunned the spotlight yet that I have seen. Since he has shared all of his tweets with us, I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have tweets and facebook photos and what not of everything else happening in his life.

Like I said, if he is doing something concrete, great. My take throughout life has been "When all is said and done, more is said than done." Doesn't fit all people every time. Might not fit Rose-Ivey.

I witnessed his kneeling theatrics I and am saying that it accomplished nothing of import or lasting significance. In fact, I think at this juncture it was counterproductive and caused dissent and conflict where none need exist.

Evidently, you think it was some watershed moment in American history. I don't, and we probably won't find common ground here.

Last word is to you and that guy who thinks I'm cute.

"I'm not willing to pay the price of allowing Michael Rose-Ivey his right to protest. What I want is to see him pay a price of my choosing."

I saw the above on my way out.

Since the above is in quotes, then you are saying someone else said the above word for word, right? You took it directly out of someone's post, just as it appears?

Otherwise, you are making sh#t up and then arguing that point. That is called "setting up a straw man and knocking it down". Is that what you did here?

I guess twisting the truth is a protected form of free speech as well. I just wonder if you were kneeling when you did it. That counts for extra these days. Makes you a better person, I hear. :thumbs

The real watershed moment of American history is what Bowfin has done. If you don't believe him, ask the Mayor. He'll even volunteer to leave the board for a year if he's wrong. In my experience, people willing to truly lay it on the line like that should be venerated for their opinions.

If you ever find yourself wondering whether we should denigrate or support student-athletes taking a stand on social issues, ask that guy.

My guess is that we would have heard of it by now through the Husker media, since we heard of Abdullah's and McMullen's and Burkhead's service to the community. I find it odd that they would do a media black out on good press for Rose-Ivey (especially Rose-Ivey) if he was doing something, don't you?

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205371829

He is majoring in sociology and was an Academic All-Big Ten honoree in 2013. Rose-Ivey was also a member of the 2013 Brook Berringer Citizenship Team and received a Nebraska Student-Athlete HERO Leadership Award. Rose-Ivey has volunteered his time with local hospital visits, Shop with a Jock and the Lincoln Marathon.

What we really need is more questioning of MRI's sincerity.

• Fire 3

If you know of something he is doing, please share, but don't expect me to prove a negative. We both know that is impossible.

Then stop asserting a positive without any actual basis. Now, not only are you implying that MRI isn't doing anything active or sacrificial towards the causes he believes in, but you're also positing that he's an attention whore and using that as evidence for your insinuation that he's all talk. "I mean, he hasn't shunned the spotlight yet that I have seen." You realize how idiotic of a statement this is? If he did shun spotlight in certain areas, you wouldn't see it. Since you've shared 2,000+ posts with Huskerboard, I find it hard to believe you're some champion of putting skin in the game since I haven't seen any articles, references, pictures, etc. of your heroic civil deeds. Remind me, what have the things you've reported to have done cost you? Since that's the only mark of legitimate social protest, apparently.

Anyways, MRI's respectful, non-aggressive gesture of kneeling during the anthem has caused at least dozens of Nebraska fans to either change their mind on the issue of systemic racism in our country, or to at least admit that they've reconsidered and are more sympathetic to those fighting to end it. It's also provided a spotlight for our University to model very effective, supportive and healthy reactions and policy towards a complex and possibly divisive social issue and giving students room to work through those things. Who are you to say that doesn't have significance?

• Fire 2

Then stop asserting a positive without any actual basis. Now, not only are you implying that MRI isn't doing anything active or sacrificial towards the causes he believes in, but you're also positing that he's an attention whore and using that as evidence for your insinuation that he's all talk. "I mean, he hasn't shunned the spotlight yet that I have seen." You realize how idiotic of a statement this is? If he did shun spotlight in certain areas, you wouldn't see it. Since you've shared 2,000+ posts with Huskerboard, I find it hard to believe you're some champion of putting skin in the game since I haven't seen any articles, references, pictures, etc. of your heroic civil deeds. Remind me, what have the things you've reported to have done cost you? Since that's the only mark of legitimate social protest, apparently.

Anyways, MRI's respectful, non-aggressive gesture of kneeling during the anthem has caused at least dozens of Nebraska fans to either change their mind on the issue of systemic racism in our country, or to at least admit that they've reconsidered and are more sympathetic to those fighting to end it. It's also provided a spotlight for our University to model very effective, supportive and healthy reactions and policy towards a complex and possibly divisive social issue and giving students room to work through those things. Who are you to say that doesn't have significance?

Check out this Shelby Steele lecture On white guilt

I'm pretty well-versed on Shelby Steele. He always brings up a few interesting points, then drowns them in his own strange brew of artificial victimhood. The holes in his argument are many.

The fact that the most vocal/visible activists use manipulative tactics to garner attention and influence doesn't eliminate the fact that the minority in question has a legitimate grievance, as dictated by America's founding documents themselves.

It's quite a stretch to declare that white guilt is the problem with America right now.

• Fire 1