Question about Coach Riley

LJsurf41

I think love is interesting. I don't really know anyone who doesn't enjoy being loved or cared about. Love is a unique behavior there is no doubt. I don't see love as a societal norm. It seems to be more confined to a small clan - family, relatives, etc; however, I know people who love out of a care for humanity rather than out of that familial/friend relationship. Though, I would estimate that the same way you love and perceive your daughter (beautiful, priceless, and worth fighting for) is the same way some people say their higher power loves them. To reach a point where you can love humanity the same way you love your daughter is probably something you will not learn or acquire just by following societal standards - it would take much more than that. I believe to achieve that you would have to follow some sort of religion or believe in some higher power. I don't know any society in the world who is currently trying to implement this type of love (the love you have for your daughter) as a societal norm. I think Mike Riley loves his athletes - he enjoys seeing them succeed, he enjoys seeing them happy, etc. But does he love them the same way he loves his daughter Kate? You know he loves his daughter Kate. When his wife called him to tell him Kate was pregnant he said, "I don't know if I was having a heart attack or what.:" Mike very well may love his athletes the same way he loves Kate, but I would most likely contribute that to his Christian faith rather than a societal norm. I don't think that's debatable really. I mean societal norms have come a ways but they have been back-pedaling for a while and I don't expect societal norms to shift towards the loving direction.

Radical, thank you.

It's obvious Riley lives by a code of decency, humility, respect and care for others. I couldn't care less if he got that way from attending church or from life experience. And I get a little tired of religious people pretending they possess some goodness unavailable to other people- that's nothing but pride and arrogance.

It's available to everyone. The arrogant are the ones that don't feels like they need anything other than themselves.

Everybody believes in something; some people just have a hard time accepting that that something may not be the same thing as they believe. I judge a man's faith by the fruit it produces, not his sales pitch. It's usually pretty obvious what is what. And to me, that is the case with Riley. It is obvious to me he is a man of faith (in something).

Bingo...

It's obvious Riley lives by a code of decency, humility, respect and care for others. I couldn't care less if he got that way from attending church or from life experience. And I get a little tired of religious people pretending they possess some goodness unavailable to other people- that's nothing but pride and arrogance.

I think a bigger problem is trying to justify/rationalize why someone will behave goodly without any real reason other than societal acceptance. That's what scares me. Fear of law? Fear of opinion? Or simply not really ever taking a moment to even think about it. sh#t, some people live and breathe to help people - they even die without ever considering why. Does that matter?

Why does it need be fear of anything? People can be kind because they have empathy. They can be kind because they feel gratitude. They can be kind because they enjoy being kind. Why do you think people only behave well out of fear? It's entirely possible to take a moment to think about it and come to the conclusion the god of religions is make-believe. That doesn't preclude a person from believing in an order to the universe, or a reason for being, or the virtue of decency or faith in those same things.

You are right. Mike Riley may show tremendous kindness because of his empathetic personality. He may be kind because he experienced it many times during his life - or for some other reason, who knows right? I am only saying that if Mike Riley is acting this way it could be based upon his life experiences - he reached a point where showing these behaviors made him feel like he is following the societal standard - where he would rather fit in then go to jail or face ridicule. The other possible reason is that he believes this is how his higher power acts and he wants to imitate him; that and it's possible he believes his higher power has commanded him to act this way. Either way I believe you proved my point. Empathy and gratitude are learned traits- either from society or from some form of religious belief.

FIFY

If you need religion and a God to make you be a good person, you are not one.

Since faith plays into W/L was it God's will when TO lost 9 of 11 bowl games? Had he turned his eyes away from God? Did he sin like the ancient Israelites?

And do we want to dig deeper into the behavior of some of his championship players?

HCMR may be a man of faith, he may not. His ability to mentor and lead seems pretty evident.

OP, why don't you admit you had an agenda starting this thread.

I get irritated when Christians seem to think they have a monopoly on morality, faith and God. Especially when they have been on the wrong side of history so many times.

• Fire 5

Wow what a topic. Look at what is playing outing the political world in america today. Every person i know that has a strong faith in god lives with a lot less stress in there lives. Nebraska has been a leader in having faith as a part of the football program for years. Look a the NFL players kneeling down after a game, pointing upward after scoring and talking about faith in news articles. As a high school student I had the fortune to meet with TO at a fellowship of christians athletes meeting in Omaha and can say that Christ play a major role in athletics and every day life for me. I can only hope our new coach shares these same values.

+1000

FCA was huge for me as well. Thank you for sharing; that is awesome. This made my day, going to surf and thank God for the ability to do so, and live in paradise. Good game coming tomorrow and I trust we are in good hands. Have an epic Friday everyone! God bless!

+1, and GBR to you guys. This needn't be such a contentious topic. We're all proud of Riley and it's clear his faith is a very positive aspect of his life.

• Fire 1

Well, I appreciate your opinion but disagree. Inherently having moral convictions isn't really human nature. The way I see it the minute we selected men who lacked strong faith to lead our program the program fell to shambles: both in the W/L column and in a spiritual sense (see lack of respect for the fan base, anger on the sidelines, poor recruiting, scandals etc..). The body follows the head so to speak. After some research it appears to me that MR is a man of FAITH...like TO and this more than anything else makes me confident in our future as a football team and most importantly the future of the young men on this team and the men/women on the staff. MR seems to have his priorities in order:

1. God

2. Family

3. Everything else....

And we are seeing the fruit of that on/off the field. Just like TO.

I don't think wins in football are in any way related to the belief in god. The point is that people who believe have less stress, far less time spent on negatives and are not worried about the political crap going on in this country and can focus on and keep in prospective what the game of football is all about.

Statistically, you don't have near enough evidence to back up your claim that faith in God is correlated with wins. Look up some other coaches, those who believe in God and those who don't (good luck picking out the ones who aren't just saying it). Then get back to me.

Logically, as a Christian, I say this is crazy talk. There are people getting raped and shot every day, and having faith in God leads to more football wins? What happens when one Christian coach's team plays against another Christian coach's team? What's the 2nd factor involved in deciding? Which coach prayed the most? Which coach was born-again first? Which coach saved the most non-believers? It's ridiculous to think belief in God leads to more wins. The only thing I will say is perhaps not having football as your #1 priority helps you relax more and not act like a jerk to the players, and could perhaps help in that regard.

Since faith plays into W/L was it God's will when TO lost 9 of 11 bowl games? Had he turned his eyes away from God? Did he sin like the ancient Israelites?

And do we want to dig deeper into the behavior of some of his championship players?

HCMR may be a man of faith, he may not. His ability to mentor and lead seems pretty evident.

I get irritated when Christians seem to think they have a monopoly on morality, faith and God. Especially when they have been on the wrong side of history so many time

Spoken like a true resident of Colorado...you might be breathing too deeply. Continuing to work hard and humbly do so after losing 9 of 11 bowl games was a testament to his faith. His players? Forgiveness and giving them a second chance..yes what a horrible guy. Maybe he should have hung LP from a tree? Would you have preferred that? Get back in the closet Buff fan....

I get irritated when Christians seem to think they have a monopoly on morality, faith and God. Especially when they have been on the wrong side of history so many time

Spoken like a true resident of Colorado...you might be breathing too deeply. Continuing to work hard and humbly do so after losing 9 of 11 bowl games was a testament to his faith. His players? Forgiveness and giving them a second chance..yes what a horrible guy. Maybe he should have hung LP from a tree? Would you have preferred that? Get back in the closet Buff fan....

Is this something Jesus would have said? Every time a "look at me" Christian opens his mouth, I know he's a poor excuse for a follower of Christ.

• Fire 5

You're using the Buffs as an example?

Have you heard of Promise Keepers??? Huge Christian organization focused on fathers. The founder was Bill McCartney. Maybe you forget where he coached?

You need to take a good look in the mirror and pray about what a judgemental horse's behind you're being.

• Fire 2

You're using the Buffs as an example?

Have you heard of Promise Keepers??? Huge Christian organization focused on fathers. The founder was Bill McCartney. Maybe you forget where he coached?

Got a little tricky when McCartney's starting quarterback knocked up his daughter.