United Airlines PR Disaster

Anyone who says a doctor is not more important than say, a fast food employee is freakin nuts. Thats just the way society is. People get paid more because their job is more important.

So, I'm more important than you? I might like it in your twisted world.

So we should all be compensated the same because we are all equal. Everyone should be given a living wage, free college and free health care. I like your newfound philosophy.

What the hell does a person's compensation have to do with their worth as a human being. JFC people...

You're the one who brought up people's worth as human beings. That's not what anyone's actually talking about when they say a Dr. needing to see his patients or someone attending a funeral is more important than a McDonald's employee getting back for a 4 hour shift or an unemployed person getting back a day late. They're not more important in the eyes of God or whatever you want to call it but that's not what anyone's saying when they say a Dr. is more important when it comes to getting somewhere on time.

Saying we're all equal when it comes to getting from point A to point B is the same as saying we should all be compensated the same for doing different jobs. I.E. it doesn't matter what our job is or why we're going to our destination. We're all the same. Our time is worth the same exact amount of $ or inconvenience regardless of what our job is.

So, since a doctor's job is more important than a ditch digger, what is supposed to happen in this commercial flying scenario? United is supposed to determine whose jobs are less important and triage the removal list to eliminate important people? Who gets booted, the person with least important job? And how exactly is that determination arrived at? Their bank account, some random customer service persons personal opinion, a vote of everyone on the aircraft? I need to understand how the perceived importance of any passenger's job has one frikken thing to do with who is worthy of not getting off the plane.

And please don't go back to saying United should've prevented the whole issue. I know that and acknowledge it but they didn't. So what happens at that point?

Anyone who says a doctor is not more important than say, a fast food employee is freakin nuts. Thats just the way society is. People get paid more because their job is more important.

So we should all be compensated the same because we are all equal. Everyone should be given a living wage, free college and free health care. I like your newfound philosophy.

What the hell does a person's compensation have to do with their worth as a human being. JFC people...

You're the one who brought up people's worth as human beings. That's not what anyone's actually talking about when they say a Dr. needing to see his patients or someone attending a funeral is more important than a McDonald's employee getting back for a 4 hour shift or an unemployed person getting back a day late. They're not more important in the eyes of God or whatever you want to call it but that's not what anyone's saying when they say a Dr. is more important when it comes to getting somewhere on time.

Saying we're all equal when it comes to getting from point A to point B is the same as saying we should all be compensated the same for doing different jobs. I.E. it doesn't matter what our job is or why we're going to our destination. We're all the same. Our time is worth the same exact amount of $ or inconvenience regardless of what our job is.

So, since a doctor's job is more important than a ditch digger, what is supposed to happen in this commercial flying scenario? United is supposed to determine whose jobs are less important and triage the removal list to eliminate important people? Who gets booted, the person with least important job? And how exactly is that determination arrived at? Their bank account, some random customer service persons personal opinion, a vote of everyone on the aircraft? I need to understand how the perceived importance of any passenger's job has one frikken thing to do with who is worthy of not getting off the plane.

And please don't go back to saying United should've prevented the whole issue. I know that and acknowledge it but they didn't. So what happens at that point?

obviously at that point the cops should have shot the mad dog customer

• Fire 1

:sarcasm i think every global corporation has the right to sh#t on any customer of theirs that they wish to at any time.

Unfortunately they do. Luckily, consumers also have the right to not patronize those businesses.

Your job may be. Im not saying him as a person is more important. Im saying his job is more important

Its called socio-economic status. I didnt invent it, but it damn sure exists

Okay, so his socioeconomic status determines that, as a paying customer on an airline, his time is to be valued more than anyone else's?

I think what you want is a world where people are ranked based on their job. Heck, let's take it the rest of the way and require everyone to get a dna test and we'll rank people's importance based on their potential as a human being. I smell a wonderful sci-fi thriller in the works.

This argument that some people are more important than others...stupidest sh#t I've heard in a long, long time. And I've frequented HB for a long, long time.

BTW, I do agree his job may be more important than many others. Still doesn't mean jackshit on a commercial flight. Anybody that is too important to be subjected to equal treatment as all other passengers better be making different travel arrangements or better yet staying right the hell where they are so gd important.

Equal treatment would be everyone on that plane getting kicked off. Everyone on that plane was there for a reason. And their time mattered. Im not saying the doctor was more important than everyone else on that plane. His JOB is extremely important. Not only for him to support himself and family, but for other folks and their families also. He should have never been kicked off. The three others never should have been kicked off. If there are no volunteers then United needs to find other options for their employees. And especially if a paying customer says I cant get off, I need to get where Im going now, that should be end of it and United needs to figure out the rest. He paid for a ticket at that time on that day because he was in a time crunch as was everyone on that plane.

If I pay for a plane ticket. Or a hotel. Or a meal. I expect things to get done the way I paid for them. And a good business would make sure the customer is satisfied. United did not in this case. The man did nothing wrong.

So, considering that United did not choose to do the right thing (because they didn't), what should've happened?

1- The person who was unlucky enough to be chosen for removal should've got of the plane under his own power.

2- Somebody less important should've been forced to take the bullet for him.

3- Since he refused to get off, they should've cancelled the flight inconveniencing all customers (you know, to be fair).

4- He should've fought the removal and been injured in the process.

These are your only choices considering United didn't do the right thing. So what's the correct answer?

I dont know. I honestly dont. If I had something important to get to I probably would have fought it also. If I had a day to spare I would have definetely taken the money. All depends on the individual situation.

For example, my girlfriend and I went to Detroit last week for a wedding. My idea was to leave Friday with wedding on Saturday but my girlfriend had to work Friday night at her synagogue, so we had no choice but to leave Saturday. If Delta kicked us off and told us we wouldnt be able to go til Sunday because their employees needed my seat, I would gave fought it because we needed to get there that day. On the way back, I didnt have to work the next couple days so I would have volunteered to give up my seat.

Hey, if I had to be somewhere, I would've argued and resisted for a bit too. And if I didn't have to get somewhere for something important I would've volunteered. Heck, if I was on this guy's flight and saw this deal beginning, I may very well have stood up and said stop, I'll get off, leave him be.

But considering in this case there really only remained the 4 options I listed, and 2, 3 & 4 are sh#t options, that leaves #1. Apparently the good doctor isn't as smart as I prefer my doctors be.

• Fire 1

None of that. After this much time has passed and you realize the randomly selected person has something important he needs to get to on time, have the 4th United employee book a different flight. (One thing I don't get is why, if there were other flights going to the same city as was reported, they offered $800 and a hotel to the passenger. Couldn't they have paid for him to fly on one of those airlines instead?).

Also, it's hard not to go back to before that because it's important to realize how irrational the whole situation was in the first place. The people who would have to make the above decision were the same ones (we can call them United because of their policy, or the employees who followed it) who let the plane board. Then after everyone was on it, told 4 they would have to leave, then called security when he said no. It's not likely they're going to make all those bad decisions, then do anything rational with the guy who doesn't want to leave.

If I was a policy maker for something like this, I would have had a stopping point where you let the passenger stay and take the flight delay on the other end of things, or book the employees on a different flight. You go up to the point where you randomly select people and tell them they have to leave. If they don't leave it ends there because up to that point they did nothing wrong, and then you put your employee on a different flight. You don't call the police to remove someone who paid for their ticket and made it there on time.

• Fire 1

Your job may be. Im not saying him as a person is more important. Im saying his job is more important

Okay, so his socioeconomic status determines that, as a paying customer on an airline, his time is to be valued more than anyone else's?

I think what you want is a world where people are ranked based on their job. Heck, let's take it the rest of the way and require everyone to get a dna test and we'll rank people's importance based on their potential as a human being. I smell a wonderful sci-fi thriller in the works.

This argument that some people are more important than others...stupidest sh#t I've heard in a long, long time. And I've frequented HB for a long, long time.

BTW, I do agree his job may be more important than many others. Still doesn't mean jackshit on a commercial flight. Anybody that is too important to be subjected to equal treatment as all other passengers better be making different travel arrangements or better yet staying right the hell where they are so gd important.

Equal treatment would be everyone on that plane getting kicked off. Everyone on that plane was there for a reason. And their time mattered. Im not saying the doctor was more important than everyone else on that plane. His JOB is extremely important. Not only for him to support himself and family, but for other folks and their families also. He should have never been kicked off. The three others never should have been kicked off. If there are no volunteers then United needs to find other options for their employees. And especially if a paying customer says I cant get off, I need to get where Im going now, that should be end of it and United needs to figure out the rest. He paid for a ticket at that time on that day because he was in a time crunch as was everyone on that plane.

If I pay for a plane ticket. Or a hotel. Or a meal. I expect things to get done the way I paid for them. And a good business would make sure the customer is satisfied. United did not in this case. The man did nothing wrong.

So, considering that United did not choose to do the right thing (because they didn't), what should've happened?

1- The person who was unlucky enough to be chosen for removal should've got of the plane under his own power.

3- Since he refused to get off, they should've cancelled the flight inconveniencing all customers (you know, to be fair).

These are your only choices considering United didn't do the right thing. So what's the correct answer?

Those aren't the options. I just went over it in previous reply but:

5-Since he refused to get off, they should've booked their employees on a different flight, inconveniencing the employees and United.

• Fire 1

obviously at that point the cops should have shot the mad dog customer
+100 for shock value.

-1 for answering the question incorrectly.

-100 for failure to follow the instructions.

5-Since he refused to get off, they should've booked their employees on a different flight, inconveniencing the employees and United.

Guess you missed his 1st and 2nd to last line...
  • Fire 1

I agree....BUT THEY DIDN'T DO THAT.

Now, we're at that point in time where United has failed to do the right thing. What should the passenger do at this point in time? He has two choices, get off or get his ass dragged off.

United eliminated the good choices and only these two remain. Let's refer to the choices as dumb and dumber. He chose dumber. Me? I would've gone with dumb.

• Fire 1

People don't like to be forced into reality..... or they just can't follow directions.

• Fire 1

Why should he be allowed to make rules and then not follow them in the same post?

"3- Since he refused to get off, they should've cancelled the flight inconveniencing all customers (you know, to be fair)."

Also, the customer can't read people's minds. He didn't know exactly what was going to happen. One of the possibilities was the #5 I gave. It's easy for us to say what he did was wrong. He said they'd have to drag him out but I'm guessing he didn't think that would actually happen.

Lastly, once again I like dewiz's posts more than yours. And ED's, but that's not saying much 'cause I like him a good portion of the time. You basically came here to tell people they were being mean.

• Fire 1

People don't like to be forced into reality..... or they just can't follow directions.

See above.

I agree....BUT THEY DIDN'T DO THAT.

Now, we're at that point in time where United has failed to do the right thing. What should the passenger do at this point in time? He has two choices, get off or get his ass dragged off.

United eliminated the good choices and only these two remain. Let's refer to the choices as dumb and dumber. He chose dumber. Me? I would've gone with dumb.

You gave 4 options which all seemed to be in the mind of the guy this happened to. My choice absolutely was a choice. He can't have known ahead of time which of the 4 (if any of those) would happen. He had the choice between #1 and numerous other things happening. Being dragged out was probably not what he thought was the most likely to happen. He most likely also didn't imagine the flight would be cancelled.

• Fire 1

This man is no social justice warrior, but because of what he did, it will cause change. It opened peoples eyes to this idiotic policy of overbooking and people asked themselves, what if this was me? You can bet your ass other airlines are changing their policies so this doesnt happen to them. Hell even United CEO said they will be changing their policies.

This is how change is made people. Dewiz said obey authority no matter what. If they tell you to jump, you ask how high. Rosa Parks should of just gotten up and walked to the back of the bus. MLK Jr should have just said, "well i was born black so I will just obey the laws and not go to this school. Or this restaurant. Or drink out of this water fountain". Obeying authority when you know something is wrong doesnt create change. And because these two individuals listed above defied authority, they have buildings in their name and holidays named after them. This gentleman will not have any buildings named after him, hell he will be forgotten in a few weeks. But like I said above, because he fought this stupid policy, it will be changed. And because of that, it will hopefully never happen to you or I.

• Fire 1