Tyjon Lindsey

I think multiplicatively would be use grammatically in the same way as exponentially, but it don't mean the same damn thing. Exponentially is overused so much it basically has 2 meanings. It's a distribution, and the other meaning is "IT'S INCREASING SUPER SUPER FAST." (Similarly, "random" has two meanings. There's the statisticy meaning and the "so random!" random which is more like haphazard).

So multiplicatively is the correct word to use almost every time someone says "exponentially," but it's a hell of a lot harder to pronounce, so let's not do that.

Edited by Moiraine

Tyjon Lindsey, hospitalized after a workout last month, is back to training at nearly full speed, Nebraska football coach Scott Frost said Thursday.

"Tyjon's doing well," the coach said of the fleet sophomore wide receiver from Corona, California. "He's pretty much back doing everything and looks pretty good, so I'm excited about where he is."

LJS

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, zoogs said:

The case for 'exponentially': the increase is larger and larger the more threats there are on the field, rather than a constant scale factor. Three threats is better than two threats by more than two threats is better than one threat.

That's not a case for exponentially that hasn't already been made.

Multiplicatively is more accurate if we're going to be nerds about it.

If we're gonna not be nerds, exponentially is better because it's easier to say and makes you look like less than a nerd. But it's less accurate.

Is multitudinally a word?

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

Oh! I missed it. By all means, let’s be nerds about it! Why is multiplicative more accurate? I do feel like the scale factor of the benefit is not constant. So the colloquial definition of exponentially is not in conflict with the mathematical one, and here’s a case where it isn’t misused. Am I misunderstanding one of these terms?

39 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Oh! I missed it. By all means, let’s be nerds about it! Why is multiplicative more accurate? I do feel like the scale factor of the benefit is not constant. So the colloquial definition of exponentially is not in conflict with the mathematical one, and here’s a case where it isn’t misused. Am I misunderstanding one of these terms?

Ya I can't get that nerdy about it. But exponential is more specific than multiplicative. I don't think the following definition applies to an increasing rate of improvement for the offense. "Exponential growth is exhibited when the rate of change—the change per instant or unit of time—of the value of a mathematical function is proportional to the function's current value" (ya it's from wikipedia).

Multiplicative covers all of these:

300px-Exponential.svg.png

Now I'm going to steal someone's answer that I've just now randomly found 'cause it sounds smart and kinda summarizes the way I'm seeing it.

Exponential growth is not just when something grows quickly, or grows faster and faster. It's when the rate of growth is proportional to the current amount. For example, if you earn 5% on your investments in a year, then one million dollars of investments will earn $50,000 and ten thousand dollars of investments will earn $500. The growth is proportional to the amount already there, so this is exponential.

There are two criteria I can think of for a change to be "exponential":

1) The amount of change should be a constant percentage of the thing that's changing.
2) The independent variable should be continuous, or nearly so.

https://www.quora.com/When-is-it-correct-to-say-something-is-growing-exponentially

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2