2023 Husker Football Schedule

Mavric

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

We *should* have 4 wins built into the schedule as we play 4 teams that finished the year 110th or worse in SP+ (out of 130).

Colorado 124th in SP+

No Illinois 123th in SP+

La Tech 121th in SP+

Northwestern 110th in SP+

FYI, we finished 71st.

I get that, but I also think that Trey Palmer was a huge amount of the teams offense and he won't be around next year. 

I'm not sure how they score enough points to beat many teams without him. And if CT doesn't come back? 

I think Nebraska fans need to really lower the expectations in year 1 of Matt Rhule. This roster is pretty terrible.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I really wish our first two games weren't on the road.

But, if Rhule can make improvements and is a good in game coach, we should be at least 3-1 going into the Michigan game.  Hopefully, 4-0.

We better be 4-0 going into the Michigan game.  Must wins for me are Minnesota, Colorado, NI, LA Tech, Northwestern, Iowa.  If any of these games are losses...Houston, we have a problem. 

• Haha 5
8 minutes ago, Rhuletheday said:

We better be 4-0 going into the Michigan game.  Must wins for me are Minnesota, Colorado, NI, LA Tech, Northwestern, Iowa.  If any of these games are losses...Houston, we have a problem. 

I think expecting a win game 1 at Minny is a little pie in the sky. Certainty possible but I don’t think a loss there signals immediate devestation by any means. I agree with the rest. I guess some would argue with Iowa but I truly believe that is a program in a decline which is about to drop off significantly. I don’t see how they can possibly recruit any offensive talent whatsoever with the Ferentz family clown show still calling the shots

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

I think expecting a win game 1 at Minny is a little pie in the sky. Certainty possible but I don’t think a loss there signals immediate devestation by any means. I agree with the rest. I guess some would argue with Iowa but I truly believe that is a program in a decline which is about to drop off significantly. I don’t see how they can possibly recruit any offensive talent whatsoever with the Ferentz family clown show still calling the shots

The first game of Matt's tenure here is a must win for it sets the tone for that first season and beyond.  HC first games:

Bob Devaney (South Dakota) WIN

Tom Osborne (No. 10 UCLA) WIN

Frank Solich (LA Tech) WIN

Bill Callahan (Western Illinois) WIN

Bo Pelini (Western Michigan) WIN

Mike Riley (BYU) LOSS

Scott Frost (Colorado) LOSS

It just so happens that our two worst coaches in the past 60 years both started their time at NU with losses.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

What is a realistic expectation for the record next year? 

I think fans should brace themselves for 4-8 or 5-7. This roster needs a lot of turnover and a lot of work. But I do think a bowl game is possible, probably slightly over achieving if they make it to one. 

Just looking at our roster, I think we'll manage 2 wins next year. If Rhule can do some amazing development of the lines in a single off-season, then 4-6 wins. But given that Rhule had 2 wins in his first year at Temple and 1 win in his first year at Baylor, I'm expecting 1-3 wins.

Of course anything is possible so we could suddenly win 7+, but I think that's extremely unlikely. I think Rhule will rebuild the program, but we won't see tangible results until year 2 or 3.

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Just looking at our roster, I think we'll manage 2 wins next year. If Rhule can do some amazing development of the lines in a single off-season, then 4-6 wins. But given that Rhule had 2 wins in his first year at Temple and 1 win in his first year at Baylor, I'm expecting 1-3 wins.

Of course anything is possible so we could suddenly win 7+, but I think that's extremely unlikely. I think Rhule will rebuild the program, but we won't see tangible results until year 2 or 3.

OL is one of the hardest to build. You can have "big" dudes but technique is what separates the good from just being big...and good technique is not taught and applied in 9 months. This is why they need a recruiting bonanza for the top OL in the country, whether it be HS or transfers, sell the FAB 5 motto to them.

If iam Rhule, iam hitting the OL transfer market hard.

13 hours ago, RedDenver said:

This roster will look a lot different come fall, and it was good enough to win or be within one score in 9 of the 12 games this year. I'm not expecting a West division championship year one or anything, but people calling our roster terrible aren't objectively comparing it to other rosters in the West. A bowl is completely doable if Rhule can instill any kind of mental toughness and a united gameplan between the offensive and defensive coaches.

• Plus1 4
4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

This roster will look a lot different come fall, and it was good enough to win or be within one score in 9 of the 12 games this year. I'm not expecting a West division championship year one or anything, but people calling our roster terrible aren't objectively comparing it to other rosters in the West. A bowl is completely doable if Rhule can instill any kind of mental toughness and a united gameplan between the offensive and defensive coaches.

I think we'll continue to be within 1 score for a lot of games. But I don't think we're going to fix what plagues us in 1 off-season. Possible but doubtful.

On 11/28/2022 at 9:17 PM, UniversalMartin said:

OL is one of the hardest to build. You can have "big" dudes but technique is what separates the good from just being big...and good technique is not taught and applied in 9 months. This is why they need a recruiting bonanza for the top OL in the country, whether it be HS or transfers, sell the FAB 5 motto to them.

If iam Rhule, iam hitting the OL transfer market hard.

It took Harbaugh 5 years and 3 assistant coaches to build an OL.

• TBH 1
On 11/28/2022 at 6:14 PM, Rhuletheday said:

Seriously? 

You do know that Minnesota is an 8-4 team, right?

Why does Rhule have to win his first game but Frost only won one of his season openers?

On 11/28/2022 at 7:14 PM, Rhuletheday said:

This is, frankly, an absurd and delusional take. If nothing else, Minnesota is a solid, disciplined team and we will rightfully be underdogs in that game. In addition, you have no idea what Colorado will look like next year and Northern Illinois is usually not a terrible program.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric unpinned this topic