Do We Have the Talent We Need?

Mavric

47 minutes ago, QMany said:

Frost's WR Recruits

2018:

• Jaron Woodyard commits after Frost's hire. Transfers to Marshall. 
  • Andre Hunt commits after Frost's hire. Never played, expelled.
  • Justin McGriff commits after Frost's hire. Transfers to Utah State.
  • Mike Williams commits after Frost's hire. 17 catches in 2 years.
  • Dominick Watts commits after Frost's hire. Never makes it to campus. 

2019:

• Demariyon Houston. Hasn't played?
  • Kanawoi Noa. 17 receptions in 1 year here.

2020:

• Zavier Betts. 12 receptions, 131 yards, 1 TD. 
  • Marcus Fleming. Transferring. 
  • Omar Manning...
  • Alante Brown. 1 reception. 
  • William Nixon. Knee injury, has not played.

Maybe, just maybe, Mike Riley isn't our problem with WR retention and production over 3 years after his departure. Or we can keep rationalizing for Frost.

2018: 

Woodyard - Stop gap

Watts - .. Didn't make it as listed. 

Williams - Stop gap

McGriff - Was projected as a possible TE?

Hunt - .. How are you supposed to predict what he did?

Love how you left the fact that Frost had 2-3 months to fill this class out and had to bring in two JUCO's in the first place to fill depth, a gadget slot guy like McGriff, as well as an on the edge guy like Watts.

2020:

Noa: Again??? Trying to fill lack of depth left by Riley and was meant to only be a 1 year player. 

Houston: Known as a developmental player, like most young wide receivers.

Zavier: Showing out as a freshmen

Fleming: You know Covid is an issue this season.

Manning: JUCO again because of lack of depth.

Brown: Fresh

Nixon: Fresh

I guess you want to make points that want to only fill your agenda that Scott didn't walk into a s#!t show when it comes to depth. Also, that we should expect all freshmen receivers to have an immediate impact. 

By the way, all 5 WR's you listed were recruited in Frost's time in the those last 3 months of him getting to Nebraska. Which means that Riley didn't have a single WR commit for the 2018 class.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is the point I was getting at:  I think we went through four years of most terrible recruiting on the offensive side of the ball. FOUR YEARS!!!  It's just a lot harder to recover than we thought,

So much negative talk about Jurgens.  I understand and see first hand how bad the snaps are and how many times it has cost us negative plays, including the timing issues in the passing game.  

Certain people want to act like advanced stats don't matter, and I get that they're not everything, but we finished 32nd in SP+ this year. We were 55th last year and 49th in '18. Riley's best team was

6 hours ago, QMany said:

@Mavric, I'm curious, why did you break it down 2015-2018 and then 2019-2020? Doesn't that imply the 2018 class and its shortcomings are somehow on Riley, not Frost? 

Riley inherited classes ranked:

• 35th
  • 22nd
  • 32nd

Frost inherited classes ranked:

• 23rd
  • 26th
  • 30th

Riley went 19-19; Frost is 11-20.

I recall this same "Do we have the talent?" conversation during the last regime. We did, we do; we still don't have the coaching, playcalling, clock management, player development, etc. 

Well, I mostly broke it there because that's what Frost has to work with.  The 2015 Class was mostly Pelini recruits but was a transition class.  The 2018 class was a lot of what Frost could come up with in two weeks.  So between two transition classes and what Riley recruited, that's what Frost started with and has for upper classmen right now. 

And yes, there was the talent discussion during Riley's first year.  I was one that said we had the talent.  People who continued to want to blame Pelini for everything said we didn't.  I think we found out after three years of seeing Riley that it was mostly Riley.  Riley inherited a bunch of NFL players in Maliek Collins, Vincent Valentine, Alex Lewis, Andy Janovich, Nathan Gerry, Khalil Davis, Carlos Davis, Freedom Akinmoladun, Cethan Carter, Nick Gates, Luke Gifford, Chris Jones, Joshua Kalu and Stanley Morgan from Pelini.  Frost inherited Ozigbo and Lamar Jackson that Riley recruited and are in the NFL.  Will probably add Jaimes and Domann and probably a couple others.  Those lists don't look similar to me.

But I'm not so much trying to blame anyone for it.  Just pointing out that I don't think it's really fair to judge Frost's offense at this point because he's had to patchwork it together because there wasn't much to work with.  And he's had some bad luck (or whatever you want to call it) in that some of the guys who showed promise didn't work out or haven't gotten on the field yet (Washington, Bell, Manning, etc.) and so a lot of the talent is still trying to get up to speed, particularly after how screwed up this year has been.  Not a good year for trying to get a lot of young guys going.

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But I'm not so much trying to blame anyone for it.  Just pointing out that I don't think it's really fair to judge Frost's offense at this point because he's had to patchwork it together because there wasn't much to work with.  And he's had some bad luck (or whatever you want to call it) in that some of the guys who showed promise didn't work out or haven't gotten on the field yet (Washington, Bell, Manning, etc.) and so a lot of the talent is still trying to get up to speed, particularly after how screwed up this year has been.  Not a good year for trying to get a lot of young guys going.

I think Hunt being an irredeemable pos was a pretty big loss that people don't mention as much. Which I get. I don't blame people for wanting to forget he was ever here, but iirc he was set to get a lot of targets last season and it was after fall camp so he probably took a lot of the first team reps that someone else could have used. 

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 1

On 12/16/2020 at 11:01 AM, Born N Bled Red said:

Hey I got an idea. Let's you and I both go in for a heart surgery. The crew working on you, is learning on the job they've been there a mix of 1-3 years. The crew working on me has been there mostly 5 years, with a standout or two that has been there 3 or 4 years.

Which one of us is more likely to survive?

Nebraska should never be a destination for OJT.

Next year is the real year to judge Frost and the staff's performance. By next year they'll have majority of their classes in the program and those from the Riley era will have been coached more under Frost then Riley. If we are another 4-8, 5-7 type team next year, then that tells me development isn't happening and Frost should probably start looking at coaches who aren't doing their jobs in development. 

39 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Next year is the real year to judge Frost and the staff's performance. By next year they'll have majority of their classes in the program and those from the Riley era will have been coached more under Frost then Riley. If we are another 4-8, 5-7 type team next year, then that tells me development isn't happening and Frost should probably start looking at coaches who aren't doing their jobs in development. 

4-8/5-7 could very well happen next year with the schedule we have...really hope there are big strides this off-season or things will get dicey really quick!

5 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

4-8/5-7 could very well happen next year with the schedule we have...really hope there are big strides this off-season or things will get dicey really quick!

Nothing from this year gives me confidence in anything better than 5-7 next year. I just hope we look better. I hope our lineman are bigger and stronger and don't look small compared to Minnesota or Wisconsin. I just hope our guys are faster to close a 5 yard gap to an open receiver quicker.

But Martinez will be a starter again next year, he will make the same mistakes as this year and the last 3 years, it will just be big to see if any WR can break coverage or get open at all. It will be interesting to see if when this team makes one mistake if it just completely derails the entire game and they can't overcome it, or if they continue to fight and are able to overcome the mistake.

We will see, but I'll be very happy if we can get to a bowl game next year. Seems every year our schedule looks more and more daunting then the previous year. That's unfortunate because you'd like to see the schedule look easier and easier as the years go on.