Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

6 minutes ago, Toe said:

Please, could you tell me who you think he'd be throwing to?

If all you've got is a Kade Warner out there dropping would-be TDs, it doesn't really matter a damn bit if the ball was thrown by Burrow or Martinez.

Sorry man but Joe Burrow would 1000% undoubtedly make even an average wide receiving corp look 100 times better due to his sheer skill set and ability alone.  I mean you are talking about a Heisman trophy winner here who then stepped into the NFL and practically didn't miss a beat with the Bengals no less until he got injured.

I am dumbfounded that I even just had to write this.

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

If you don't think Joe Burrow and our offense could/would have faired better than it has behind Adrian Martinez then no offense but I definitely want some of what you are having.  

There's no planet in this or any other solar system where Nebraska would have been markedly better with Joe Burrow than Adrian Martinez. 

• Plus1 6
41 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Sorry man but Joe Burrow would 1000% undoubtedly make even an average wide receiving corp look 100 times better due to his sheer skill set and ability alone.  I mean you are talking about a Heisman trophy winner here who then stepped into the NFL and practically didn't miss a beat with the Bengals no less until he got injured.

There would have been improvement.  But, he would not have been the same QB as he was at LSU. 

So many of his passes were thrown up in great coverage and the WR would make a fantastic play and catch the ball. We haven’t had those players.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
31 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Nebraska wouldn't have been any better with a Heisman trophy winner and #1 overall NFL draft pick caliber quarterback running their offense.

Just trying to let that one sink in.  Yeah.  Wow.  I know it's the work day but maybe it is time for a puff...

The difference would have been minimal. Was Martinez perfect? Nope, but the lack of a run game, lack of a line, and lack of quality dependable receivers would have left Burrows with an ok season that probably leaves him an undrafted and unheralded free agent, not the Number 1 draft pick. The quarterback on a good team is the most important piece. A quarterback on a bad team is just another cog in the wheel who gets to take the most beating. A great team around a mediocre qb will make that qb a Heisman candidate. A terrible team around an above average qb will make that qb look like they'd be second string at any other school at best. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There would have been improvement.  But, he would not have been the same QB as he was at LSU. 

So many of his passes were thrown up in great coverage and the WR would make a fantastic play and catch the ball. We haven’t had those players.  

Oh I absolutely agree he wouldn't have been the same QB as he was at LSU.  Regardless a QB with his skill set is still going to make a huge huge difference to your entire team let alone your offense versus having an average quarterback under center.

3 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Sorry man but Joe Burrow would 1000% undoubtedly make even an average wide receiving corp look 100 times better due to his sheer skill set and ability alone.

Sorry man, but our WR corps last year wasn't even close to 'average'. (The word 'clusterf#&%' comes to mind...)

• Plus1 7
3 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Nebraska wouldn't have been any better with a Heisman trophy winner and #1 overall NFL draft pick caliber quarterback running their offense.

Just trying to let that one sink in.  Yeah.  Wow.  I know it's the work day but maybe it is time for a puff...

QB #1: 219/379 (57.8%), 2,894 yards (7.6 Y/A), 16 TDs, 5 INTs 133.2 QBR

QB #2: 224/347 (64.6%), 2,617 yards (7.5 Y/A), 17 TDs, 8 INTs. 139.5 QBR

Now, without looking, which one is 2018 Adrian Martinez, and which one is 2018 Joe Burrow? 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

QB #1: 219/379 (57.8%), 2,894 yards (7.6 Y/A), 16 TDs, 5 INTs 133.2 QBR

QB #2: 224/347 (64.6%), 2,617 yards (7.5 Y/A), 17 TDs, 8 INTs. 139.5 QBR

Now, without looking, which one is 2018 Adrian Martinez, and which one is 2018 Joe Burrow? 

2018?!?!?!  Where are 2AM's 2019 and 2020 stats???!!!!  Also W/L records????!!!! Let's not forget the biggest stat of them all when it comes to quarterbacks...turnovers???????

Burrow's last two years at LSU:  76 touchdowns with 11 interceptions.  I'll let you look up Adrian's last two seasons in that dept.  Don't forget fumbles count as turnovers also while you're at it......

ExcellentShortIberianlynx-small.gif

Cherry picking is fun huh lulz....

Gotta hand it to HB to actually draw equal comparisons to an actual Heisman trophy winner, national championship MVP and #1 overall NFL draft pick to......Adrian Martinez

woof.....

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

Sorry man, but our WR corps last year wasn't even close to 'average'. (The word 'clusterf#&%' comes to mind...)

Sorry man but trying to use Nebraska's wide receivers as an excuse that a QB like Joe Burrow would absolutely make no difference whatsoever to any teams success is simply laughable.  

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Joe Burrow made his living throwing a lot of downfield 50-50 balls to JaMarr Chase, Justin Jefferson, and Terrace Marshall while playing behind the Joe Moore Award-winning offensive line, handing off to a first-round NFL running back, and having his plays designed by one of the most sought after offensive minds in the NFL. So I think he probably would have been a lot worse here!

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

I'm really sorry to break this to a few of you but Joe Burrow is a lot better quarterback regardless of who he has as his wide receivers...  

I guess we can expect to still see 2AM on Sundays then?  Scouts should be able to see that it's his receiving corp the last 2 years that has been the problem?  (Hopefully it's still not their fault this year...)  Wait, the O line?  Wait, the play calls?  It doesn't matter... 

I look forward to seeing him get drafted...

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I'm really sorry to break this to a few of you but Joe Burrow is a lot better quarterback regardless of who he has as his wide receivers...  

I guess we can expect to still see 2AM on Sundays then?  Scouts should be able to see that it's his receiving corp the last 3 years that has been the problem?  Wait, the O line?  Wait, the play calls?  It doesn't matter... 

I look forward to seeing him get drafted...

Is Joe Burrow a better player than Adrian Martinez? Yes. But when Joe Burrow played with a bad offensive line with bad receivers in 2018 he had a worse season as a redshirt junior than AM did as a true freshman. Getting a good quarterback doesn't magically make all the other terrible parts of your offense good.

• Plus1 5
2 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

Is Joe Burrow a better player than Adrian Martinez? Yes. But when Joe Burrow played with a bad offensive line with bad receivers in 2018 he had a worse season as a redshirt junior than AM did as a true freshman. Getting a good quarterback doesn't magically make all the other terrible parts of your offense good.

Burrow improved and obviously he is better.  When I see our quarterback blatantly making mistakes 100% on his own in his 2nd and 3rd years???? = no dice...  Turnovers/fumbles. Yeah there is pretty much no comparison.

If he happens to bounce back after taking a step back the past few seasons I'll be happy but again just how much progress do we make this year if that does happen?  Do we actually beat anyone with a pulse in other words instead of turning the ball over and laying an egg when it really counts???  Do we actually/finally have a 'quality' win with Martinez at QB?????  Heck how about even just 2 of them????  I'm sorry but until I see it then I'm not going to wish or expect those things to start happening and instead use things like our wide receiving corp as excuses.  If you're going to go that route I would chosen the offensive line but personally I'm not going to start using them as an excuse either.  

I'll be further honest in that me personally and to AM's credit I am not 100% sure if it is all Adrian or not or the actual coaching he is getting from Verduzco primarily and with our offensive coordinator(s) i/e Frost and Lubick.  For me that's not an excuse but a seemingly more believable circumstance but this is just my opinion as far as a true explanation.  Something changed that's for sure and you saw it mostly with the turnovers, 3rd down conversions, over/underthrown passes in key moments etc the past 2 seasons.

**If any mod wants to move these posts to the tangent thread please do and my apologies also.  This should be the Logan Smothers thread I realize.