Jump to content


Power Football


r06ue1

Recommended Posts

For those that do not believe power running game can win these days, I offer up to you the final in the Ohio State (27) vs Michigan (42) game where Michigan used a power running attack to the tune of 41 attempts for 297 yards. 

What Nebraska ran in the past (50% power run, 25% option, 25% pass) can work again today. 

For those looking for more pass happy offense, maybe Bill Callahan is available, give him a ring.

  • Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment


9 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

For those that do not believe power running game can win these days, I offer up to you the final in the Ohio State (27) vs Michigan (42) game where Michigan used a power running attack to the tune of 41 attempts for 297 yards. 

What Nebraska ran in the past (50% power run, 25% option, 25% pass) can work again today. 

For those looking for more pass happy offense, maybe Bill Callahan is available, give him a ring.

 

I fully agree. Michigan has a coach that sought to find any identify for his team and to stick with it.  Nebraska's coach has no idea what he wants the teams identify to be, and just when the team is doing something well, he abandons it.  After 39 minutes vs Iowa, Nebraska ran the ball over 80% of the time and had a 21-6 lead.  For the final 21 minutes we passed the ball over 70% of the time and failed to score again.  

  • Plus1 4
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Michigan has a coach that sought to find any identify for his team and to stick with it

 

Harbaugh has had plenty of struggles over the years though, and gone back and forth somewhat with offensive philosophy.  He was considered a dead man walking in terms of his job coming into the year by some. 

 

But it is working this year.  OC Josh Gattis is doing a great job finding the right formula for their personnel and game plans this year, and I bet Harbaugh has some involvement in the scheme too.

 

Gattis brought his 'speed in space' ideas originally but now the incorporation of a power running game this year seems to be working for them.

 

Somewhat similarly, Scott Frost has said he believes in blending traditional Husker power football with new ideas.

  • Plus1 3
Link to comment
Just now, observer3 said:

 

Harbaugh has had plenty of struggles over the years though, and gone back and forth somewhat with offensive philosophy.  He was considered a dead man walking in terms of his job coming into the year by some. 

 

But it is working this year.  OC Josh Gattis is doing a great job finding the right formula for their personnel and game plans this year, and Harbaugh has some involvement too I am sure in the scheme.

 

Gattis brought his 'speed in space' ideas originally but now the incorporation of a power running game this year seems to be working for them.

 

Somewhat similarly, Scott Frost has said he believes in blending traditional Husker power football with new ideas.


This forum is severely lacking in good analysis like this these days. Great post.

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

4 minutes ago, observer3 said:

 

Harbaugh has had plenty of struggles over the years though, and gone back and forth somewhat with offensive philosophy.  He was considered a dead man walking in terms of his job coming into the year by some. 

 

But it is working this year.  OC Josh Gattis is doing a great job finding the right formula for their personnel and game plans this year, and I bet Harbaugh has some involvement in the scheme too.

 

Gattis brought his 'speed in space' ideas originally but now the incorporation of a power running game this year seems to be working for them.

 

Somewhat similarly, Scott Frost has said he believes in blending traditional Husker power football with new ideas.

 

Harbaugh is 60-23 at Michigan since taking over in 2015.  I agree he has been in a hot seat for his inability to beat OSU in the past, but his struggles are nowhere close to how Frost has struggled at Nebraska.  Harbaugh also committed to becoming more dominant in the run game as well as having a tougher minded defense and he brought in new coaches to help make that happen.  Perhaps the hires Frost will make will help next year, but I am still not sure what Frost wants the identify of his offense to be.  

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Undone said:

You gotta absolutely love our fans accusing the Scott Frost of ruining the program with a “pass happy offense.”

 

Like, you couldn’t have even dreamed it up.

But NU ran the ball 55% of the time in 2021. I know that some of those runs were called pass plays which Adrian had to scramble or was sacked, but NU's run-pass ratio is also skewed to more pass with needing to come from behind in many of the games this year. I don't know if you are joking, but how is a 55/45 run-pass ratio "pass happy"?

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But NU ran the ball 55% of the time in 2021. I know that some of those runs were called pass plays which Adrian had to scramble or was sacked, but NU's run-pass ratio is also skewed to more pass with needing to come from behind in many of the games this year. I don't know if you are joking, but how is a 55/45 run-pass ratio "pass happy"?


I’m quoting the person who started this thread. He said “pass happy.”

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

 

Harbaugh is 60-23 at Michigan since taking over in 2015.  I agree he has been in a hot seat for his inability to beat OSU in the past, but his struggles are nowhere close to how Frost has struggled at Nebraska.  Harbaugh also committed to becoming more dominant in the run game as well as having a tougher minded defense and he brought in new coaches to help make that happen.  Perhaps the hires Frost will make will help next year, but I am still not sure what Frost wants the identify of his offense to be.  


It’s pretty similar to a write-up of Bo Pelini’s tenure here. Just replace “Jim Harbaugh” with “Bo Pelini” and “OSU” with “Wisconsin.”   :D

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
  • Create New...