Jump to content

Who should our next HC be?


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I get where you are coming from but I also get where BRB is coming from.  I think a better way to ask the question is would your favorite to be the next coach been your favorite 13 months ago?  So many people look at what is happening right now instead of looking at the body of work from a coach.  Aranda might be awesome.  I wouldn't be mad if we hired him but I don't feel any level of comfort because he has such little experience as a head coach. 

 

I don't have one coach I would be crazy about but I would like us to hire someone who has shown he can recruit, then develop those recruits, and ultimately win at a high level with the players he recruited.  Hiring anyone without those 3 things becomes a gamble we shouldn't take imo.      

What are your thoughts on Bronco Mendenhal?

Link to comment

Just to be clear, Urban Meyer is a swell coach, but he did walk into existing powerhouses at both Florida and Ohio State. He did an impressive job at Utah, but they weren't exactly a dumpster fire either, and at the time playing against competition we consider well below Big 10 standards.

 

When actually hired to put out a dumpster fire with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Urban Meyer failed on multiple levels.

 

There really are no sure things. I know this will come down to a huge paycheck, but we still want the coach that's genuinely hungry. 

  • Plus1 4
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

What are your thoughts on Bronco Mendenhal?

I think we could hire him cheap but I also think there is a reason no programs picked him up for the 2022 season.    

 

I'm not a fan at all.  Part of that likely comes from my extreme dislike for BYU.  I grew up in Wyoming and played for University of Wyoming.  

 

 

He did do well at BYU but his last 4 years were pretty mediocre by their standards.  At Virginia, he has basically been a 500 coach.  Nothing to wow at all imo.  

 

I sure hope we can do better than him...  

 

  • Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just to be clear, Urban Meyer is a swell coach, but he did walk into existing powerhouses at both Florida and Ohio State. He did an impressive job at Utah, but they weren't exactly a dumpster fire either, and at the time playing against competition we consider well below Big 10 standards.

 

When actually hired to put out a dumpster fire with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Urban Meyer failed on multiple levels.

 

There really are no sure things. I know this will come down to a huge paycheck, but we still want the coach that's genuinely hungry. 


That’s an accurate assessment. Don’t you think Urban is more of an opportunist? He’s smart about positioning himself in situations where there’s a minimum of challenges to overcome. It’s efficient and effective.

 

I don’t know much about Jacksonville. Maybe he got bored with college and was seeking a different type of opportunity. 
 

I don’t see him interested in coming to Nebraska. It doesn’t fit with what he’s done in the past taking into account his history. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

I’m not talking wins and losses.  The coaching and administration/ ADs for 20 years have sucked, but they have no bearing on the next hire.   Nebraska, as a job doesn’t suck. 

You're right, the Nebraska job overall does not suck. The team sucks and it is virtually a complete rebuild. Maybe not player wise necessarily, but a culture and reputation. We are the laughing stock of the BIG and have been for a while now. We are a blue blood program with huge fan support and great resources. The big question is, which coach is willing to walk into the dumpster fire that Frost created that is currently leading a big time program?

Maybe I am just trying to keep my expectations low so if Trev does not bring in a big name/splash hire I won't be disappointed.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

You're right, the Nebraska job overall does not suck. The team sucks and it is virtually a complete rebuild. Maybe not player wise necessarily, but a culture and reputation. We are the laughing stock of the BIG and have been for a while now. We are a blue blood program with huge fan support and great resources. The big question is, which coach is willing to walk into the dumpster fire that Frost created that is currently leading a big time program?

Maybe I am just trying to keep my expectations low so if Trev does not bring in a big name/splash hire I won't be disappointed.

I guess one thing I haven't considered is Matt Rhule is apparently the dumpster fire whisperer.  How do posters feel about him at this point?

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

I guess one thing I haven't considered is Matt Rhule is apparently the dumpster fire whisperer.  How do posters feel about him at this point?


The impression I’m getting is that he relates well with players. He’d probably be a good culture fit. Some think he’s done a pretty amazing job bringing teams back around. Others aren’t as optimistic. There’s been a lot of criticism of him of late. 
 

It seems to me that he’s a good college coach. A significant part is who would he bring along?  He seems pretty good at developing players. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, M.A. said:


There’s  a “master list” on here somewhere with a considerable number of potential head coaches. Lol.

This master list was found in Trev's lunchbox with a Runza wrapped inside.

Feel free to download, and add names or wishes.

BigRed.JPG

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment

10 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

This master list was found in Trev's lunchbox with a Runza wrapped inside.

Feel free to download, and add names or wishes.

BigRed.JPG

A couple other items: "Uses clever catchphrases" and "Able to avoid sexual temptation".

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...