Texas Public Schools Required To Teach The Bible

Ah, the irony.

Outrage about other people shoving religion down their throats they don't believe in, then in turn, the person outraged shoves their social programs down yours, rationalizing your "moral obligation" to pay for it.

Amazing isn't it!!

Was this in reference to anyone's post?? Just wondering!!

Naaaah, what ever gave you that idea? :sarcasm

I wonder how much this will increase the enrollment at private schools?

You mean decrease? Why would parents be paying 7 grand a year for private schools when literally you can get the same exact thing now in a public school without paying one dime for tuition. Before the only difference was religion classes, now they are the same. I guess you do learn more about it in a privite school though.

Do you really believe that the only difference between public and private school is religious classes? Public education in the US is a joke and there are plenty of studies that back that up. Most parents enroll their kids in private school so that they have somewhat of a say in what their children are taught. This is clearly a case of government overstepping and forcing students to learn something without regard of student or parental opinion.

The reality of the matter is that public education doesn't offer any public choices whatsoever. In this case, the Bible will be taught, students and parents will have no choice in the matter. What is taught at public school is what those in government power deem suitable. Seeing as how government power fluctuates with each election, this could very well mean a change in public school curriculum after each election. Since this is the case, how can parents who wish to have a say in their child’s education, ever consistently know what public schools will be teaching? Would this not cause an increase in private school enrollment?

Regardless of the private school enrollment, say you are right and the number of parents who wish to have religion taught in school far outweighs those who don't wish to have it taught. Even if it did create an increase in public school enrollment how do you figure that it wouldn't cost them a dime? Is public school really free?

Any increase in demand always causes the prices to go up, and public schooling is no different. More students enrolling requires an increase in teachers, administrators, books, athletic equipment, etc… This in turn requires more funding. Does the funding just appear out of thin air as if the Federal Reserve is hot at the press again? No, it comes from the pockets of each individual who pays taxes. Increases in funding require an increase in taxes, and guess who pays those taxes? Enrollment “without a dime for tuition, ” I think not!!

Public education is a joke? Really?? Hmmm. I received an outstanding education in public school (good enough that I didn't have to pay a dime for undergraduate or graduate school). I'm sorry your experience was otherwise . . . assuming you didn't go to private school.

You mean decrease? Why would parents be paying 7 grand a year for private schools when literally you can get the same exact thing now in a public school without paying one dime for tuition. Before the only difference was religion classes, now they are the same. I guess you do learn more about it in a privite school though.

Do you really believe that the only difference between public and private school is religious classes? Public education in the US is a joke and there are plenty of studies that back that up. Most parents enroll their kids in private school so that they have somewhat of a say in what their children are taught. This is clearly a case of government overstepping and forcing students to learn something without regard of student or parental opinion.

The reality of the matter is that public education doesn't offer any public choices whatsoever. In this case, the Bible will be taught, students and parents will have no choice in the matter. What is taught at public school is what those in government power deem suitable. Seeing as how government power fluctuates with each election, this could very well mean a change in public school curriculum after each election. Since this is the case, how can parents who wish to have a say in their child’s education, ever consistently know what public schools will be teaching? Would this not cause an increase in private school enrollment?

Regardless of the private school enrollment, say you are right and the number of parents who wish to have religion taught in school far outweighs those who don't wish to have it taught. Even if it did create an increase in public school enrollment how do you figure that it wouldn't cost them a dime? Is public school really free?

Any increase in demand always causes the prices to go up, and public schooling is no different. More students enrolling requires an increase in teachers, administrators, books, athletic equipment, etc… This in turn requires more funding. Does the funding just appear out of thin air as if the Federal Reserve is hot at the press again? No, it comes from the pockets of each individual who pays taxes. Increases in funding require an increase in taxes, and guess who pays those taxes? Enrollment “without a dime for tuition, ” I think not!!

Public education is a joke? Really?? Hmmm. I received an outstanding education in public school (good enough that I didn't have to pay a dime for undergraduate or graduate school). I'm sorry your experience was otherwise . . . assuming you didn't go to private school.

You might not have paid for it, but somebody, somewhere did.

Yep. A university that wants to get students with the highest test scores possible to prop up their US News and World Reports rankings. It's got nothing to do with government . . . and everything to do with schools competing for talent/potential. Look at it as no different than Nebraska offering an athletic scholarship . . . or are you against those as well?

Yes you would have to pay taxes but you are already paying for them. Even the parents that are sending their kids to private or Catholic schools like my parents. In addition to spending 7 thousand dollars a year on tuition they are paying those taxes for public schools just like everbody else. It is a blatant waste of a lot of money if you could get something for free somewhere else. Also there isn't that much difference between a private and public school. I have a lot of friends that go to public schools and they are basically being taught the same things that I am. The only difference is religion and a couple of electives like cooking and acting which no one takes at my school.

another public school graduate here...and loved every bit of it.

Socal...is there any tax you ARE for? Or are you against all taxes unless it benefits you?

It's fine to have pride in your education, but realize that the top kid in the class in your average Joe public school is going to be the village idiot in India or China. We get flat creamed in math and sciences while hordes of bureaucrats sit around coming up with character counts and self esteem exercises. In poorer communities half the kids who graduate (these taken from dismal Detroit-like graduation rate to begin with) can't point to America on a map.

Our education system is how the Joker got his scars.

Yep. A university that wants to get students with the highest test scores possible to prop up their US News and World Reports rankings. It's got nothing to do with government . . . and everything to do with schools competing for talent/potential. Look at it as no different than Nebraska offering an athletic scholarship . . . or are you against those as well?

Which I agree with 100%, unless it is the taxpayer, who under threat of force, is funding your education and not the school. Also, I'm pretty sure the Nebraska athletic department is self-sufficient, is it not?

By the way, the "public education is a joke" comment wasn't intended to ruffle any public school attendee's feathers (I was also one), the statistics just overwhelmingly prove that privately funded education is leaps and bounds ahead of publicly funded education.

another public school graduate here...and loved every bit of it.

Socal...is there any tax you ARE for? Or are you against all taxes unless it benefits you?

I enjoyed my time in high school also, but that doesn't mean it was a good education or that it was right that money was stolen from hard working individuals to pay for it. I for one, won't be sending my child to public school, nor will I ever sanction a system that requires people to pay for it.

And as for taxes, do you believe theft is ok? You must if you think taxes are ok!! I am against all taxes, no matter what it's used for and especially if it benefits me. For starters I have morals which tend to agree with the idea that theft is wrong. Secondly I have pride and never wish to be given anything except for that which is rightfully mine. What about you?

It's fine to have pride in your education, but realize that the top kid in the class in your average Joe public school is going to be the village idiot in India or China. We get flat creamed in math and sciences while hordes of bureaucrats sit around coming up with character counts and self esteem exercises. In poorer communities half the kids who graduate (these taken from dismal Detroit-like graduation rate to begin with) can't point to America on a map.

I don't know if my school was top notch or anything but I know of at least two people I went to school with who scored perfect on the SATs and many others who went on to some of the top US colleges.

btw, China is a socialized country. They're government provides 9 year mandatory basic education for every child.

And as far as students in America who can't point to their own country on the map...I would say some of the blame might fall partly on the school. But I would also say that most of it also falls on the parent(s) and student themselves. Poorer communities tend to have less involved parents. Children don't care to learn if they aren't being pushed by both teachers and their parents.

There's more that's involved in what children learn than just who pays for their education.

And as for taxes, do you believe theft is ok? You must if you think taxes are ok!! I am against all taxes, no matter what it's used for and especially if it benefits me. For starters I have morals which tend to agree with the idea that theft is wrong. Secondly I have pride and never wish to be given anything except for that which is rightfully mine. What about you?

so how do you suggest things be funded in your city? We just start asking the Treasury to make more money to hand out?

I don't know if my school was top notch or anything but I know of at least two people I went to school with who scored perfect on the SATs and many others who went on to some of the top US colleges.

btw, China is a socialized country. They're government provides 9 year mandatory basic education for every child.

And as far as students in America who can't point to their own country on the map...I would say some of the blame might fall partly on the school. But I would also say that most of it also falls on the parent(s) and student themselves. Poorer communities tend to have less involved parents. Children don't care to learn if they aren't being pushed by both teachers and their parents.

There's more that's involved in what children learn than just who pays for their education.

Unfortunately anecdotal evidence can't carry the day in this argument. I'm talking systemic issues in our education system. You might have one or two bright ones in your class, but the average Hindu boy in a decent school has four years of physics by the time he's out of high school. There's a

about this here. Also I'd recommend John Taylor Gatto's Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling.

Most of your post is totally valid. Parents aren't as involved in poorer communities. The schools are terrible to begin with. But even in my private school, which is the public school baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the entire tone and concept behind it is pathetic. High school in this country is nothing more than a social hour with babysitters in which lazy kids like me can prosper without the slightest effort.

Bottom line, anyone who thinks we're at a good place educationally in this country needs to wake up and smell the oriental food cooking.

so how do you suggest things be funded in your city? We just start asking the Treasury to make more money to hand out?

By privatizing, meaning establishing property rights, and allowing the market to function. This allows individuals to voluntarily make transactions and choices, which leads to more efficient businesses and ensures the production of goods and services that the population is actually in need of. Is paying for something that an individual does not consider beneficial, not considered wasteful?

Do you believe that it is ok to use force to ensure funding?

By privatizing, meaning establishing property rights, and allowing the market to function. This allows individuals to voluntarily make transactions and choices, which leads to more efficient businesses and ensures the production of goods and services that the population is actually in need of. Is paying for something that an individual does not consider beneficial, not considered wasteful?

Okay...I get ya.

So then where do we get money for the roads we drive on? Stop lights, bridges, and all that jazz?

How about our military...who's gonna fund that?

Do we still get to have 911? Police/fire services? If those are privatized...do you just get a bill after you call the fire department to put out your house fire?

Do we still have a criminal detention system...or are our prisons paid for by some corporation?

Should we just make libraries privatized? I much prefer being able to check books out for free than pay rental fees for research materials I borrowed in high school or college.

How about National Parks? I love being able to visit the Rocky Mountain National Park when I visit Colorado

Are there still zoning laws in effect? Or can I just take over my neighbors backyard and call it mine?

Mass transportation systems?

How about that rest stop I always stop at when I drive out to Lincoln for a game day?

Is my bank account still insured by FDIC?

just curious

Unfortunately anecdotal evidence can't carry the day in this argument. I'm talking systemic issues in our education system. You might have one or two bright ones in your class, but the average Hindu boy in a decent school has four years of physics by the time he's out of high school. There's a

about this here. Also I'd recommend John Taylor Gatto's Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling.

Most of your post is totally valid. Parents aren't as involved in poorer communities. The schools are terrible to begin with. But even in my private school, which is the public school baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the entire tone and concept behind it is pathetic. High school in this country is nothing more than a social hour with babysitters in which lazy kids like me can prosper without the slightest effort.

Bottom line, anyone who thinks we're at a good place educationally in this country needs to wake up and smell the oriental food cooking.

Very true!! Though I might tend to disagree with your assumption that just because those in India have taken physics for 4 years in high school, that they are more educated. Smarter in physics yes, educated no.

Education is a life long process that each individual experiences and is something that cannot just be taught in school. Each individual is different, which means that education is different for each individual. Just as not everyone is cut out to be a doctor, a mechanic, a lawyer or a professional athlete not all people are cut out to be students. Yet, the fact remains that individuals still become educated throughout their lives.

In the government’s attempt to "educate" the masses, public schools force every individual to learn exactly the same thing in exactly the same way. It’s sort of like the idea of trying to fit a square peg through a round hole, it just can’t happen. Since not everyone is the same and therefore cannot be taught the same way, this concept of learning is detrimental to both the individual who learns fast and those that learn slow, if at all.

Sure, there are AP classes for the smart and LD classes for the slow, but these classes still serve to restrict learning to the extent of the government’s curriculum. So, instead of increasing an individual’s process for thinking, public schooling actually works to bring everyone to an equally mediocre level of learning. Is that really how society gets better?

This is not to say that certain individuals cannot learn from public institutions, because it is obvious that they can, and just goes to show what motivated individuals are able to accomplish despite. However, the fact remains that public education is also disastrous to many individuals. And this brings us to the moral question of whether it’s right that the individuals who can’t learn through the illogical methods of public schooling are still forced to attend? Wouldn’t their education be better served learning in an environment in which they respond positively?