The Colonels Secret Recipe Not A Winner in Lincoln

The Colonels Secret Recipe Not A Winner in Lincoln

September 12th, 2006

David Rischling (DJR313)

HuskerWeekly Sports Analyst

http://www.huskerweekly.com/?p=11

On Saturday, the triple option returned to Lincoln with little fanfare. Possibly because it was being run by Broderick Cole and Chris Bunch instead of guys like Tommie Frazier and Ahman Green. Aside from a Grant Thorne 49 yard fourth quarter scamper, the Colonels were rather unsuccessful. But that was to be expected.

I think Nicholls St. quarterback Chris Bunch put it best; “They’re fast. That’s all I’m going to say-they’re fast. Our line did the best job they could. They’re just too fast.” Bunch, of course, was referring to the Blackshirts, which held the Colonels to 187 yards total, all on the ground. The goose egg for passing yards is less impressive when you see that only 3 passes were attempted. 8 players ended up with 4 tackles or more, with Adam Carriker and Steve Octavien leading the way with 6 apiece. Coach Bill Callahan talked all week about defending the triple option as assignment football. After watching on Saturday, not many assignments were missed. I think that Callahan, Cosgrove and Norvell should be very pleased with the effort and the outcome.

Were the fans?

First of all, there was about 1,000 less of us on Saturday. I’m sure that the rain and the opponent didn’t have anything to do with it. The game was well in hand at the half and many didn’t come back to watch some more fireworks. Most notably, Maurice Purify hauling in a 42 yard pass from Taylor in the third quarter. Seeing Taylor hit Purify makes me giddy.

Many will say that this game didn’t show us much about the Huskers, that a week off would have served them better to prepare for USC. I say bologna! Yeah, Nicholls St. doesn’t necessarily have the firepower of a USC, or even a Missouri, but in this game Callahan was able to get a whole slew of newcomers some valuable playing time. Corey Young, Rickey Thenarse, Major Culbert, Tyrell Spain, Brett Byford, Bryan Wilson, Kenny Wilson and Joe Ganz all saw meaningful snaps.

What did we learn?

Rain won’t necessarily stop the WCO. Zac Taylor operated with surgeon-like precision in carving up the Nicholls St. defense like a Thanksgiving turkey. The rain didn’t seem to bother the receivers either. Taylor is well on his way to an All Big 12 season. Just remember, you heard it here last.

Marlon Lucky might be worthy of all that hype. Well, maybe running for a bill against a D1AA foe isn’t much, but he looks good and most importantly, comfortable. His only gaffe was a dropped swing pass from Taylor. I think this was a simple case of that sweet smell of paydirt overwhelming his sense of sight - and he just took his eye off the ball.

Nate Swift is a very capable punt returner. Swift was shifty, sure handed and showed great vision. When seeing Swift running with the ball, I didn’t hold my breath the same way I do when Terrence Nunn is on a return and carrying the ball like it’s a wet diaper.

Some of these newcomers can really play. The experience that they gained on Saturday will be invaluable later in the season when a player or two goes down and one of these guys will have to step up. For one, I was impressed by the performance of Brett Byford. No exchange problems with Taylor (which is phenomenal on a rainy day) and he held his own in there blocking. If Mann goes down (God forbid it), Byford appears ready to step in.

There is still no place like Nebraska. 84,000 showed up, ponchos and all and cheered like hell for their team. In this man’s opinion, not much tops a Saturday in Lincoln with good friends, some frosty beverages, and the opportunity to see the Huskers. The Men of Troy await; make us proud, gentlemen. Go Big Red and God Bless