borNred's Big Red Rebound

borNred's Big Red Rebound

Kevin Sinnett

HuskerWeekly Sports Analyst

Sept 22, 2006

-----------------------------

Read & comment here: http://www.huskerweekly.com/?p=23

-----------------------------

One week after a disappointing loss to USC, the Husker’s have the task of taking on the smaller Trojans. Think of it as USC was the Magnum, and Troyis the well…Ultra Thin.

Welcome to the pre-game point of view, and I am your host, Kevin aka borNred to my fellow Huskerboard.com members. Here we go….

Troy comes into Lincoln with a 1-2 record, with a two game road skid to Florida State and Georgia Tech. These games were close, and FSU could barely hang in for the W, but what the “experts” fail to realize is that those two teams have NO offense.

Aside from GT’s showing last night against a dismal Virginia team, the Yellow Jackets gave no reason to believe that their offensive woes from last season are corrected. Florida State on the other hand does have an offense, it may only be by passing the ball but it’s there. However, the staff fails to utilize the talent of Drew Weatherford and the gifted receivers. Bowden seems determined to establish the run (Sound familiar? But I do agree with Cally’s game plan, difference is we have the backs, it’s just miscues and execution…or lack there of) before unleashing the big dogs of his offense; the problem is…they can’t run for squat. Enough about GT and FSU, I’m here for Big Red talk,nothing else.

The Trojan’s run defense looks suspect, and by that I mean giving up over 3 hundred to a so-so GT team. This fact should play a big role in Callahan’s game planning. This brings me to NU’s run game….

Look for Lucky to have a big game, with what he’s showed so far it looks like another 100+ game is in order, as only one man on their D-Line is over the 300 mark. I also plan to see his receiving ability to play a decent roll as well, slide out in the slot and get some bubble screens, and dart plays to throw them off. Play action passing will reemerge with a vengeance, bank on it baby! This game will be a lot like last week’s match up with SC, only the roles will be reversed and there will be higher scoring.

Troy will put up one hell of a fight, but count on this one to start slipping away from them in the third, when our superior depth starts to show its shining face. Pass the ball for God’s sake…sorry, I had a relapse for a second! I think that the passing game will be electric, hold on let me explain myself. For one, we have Zac Taylor and talented receivers; for two Troy’s tallest CB is Chris Bowen’s who is 6’0 and also third string. The others are as follows (LCB): Leodis McKelvin (5-11), Justin Bray (5-11); (RCB): Henry Chubb (5-10), Elbert Mack (5-10), and Darryl Watts (5-10). Now, you can’t sit here and tell me with a straight face that you don’t like the odds of that! Stick big Mo over there and play

pitch and catch over the top all day long, what we have here is our own version of Dwayne Jarrett vs. NU secondary all over again in our favor.

Now onto the Blackshirts…. and dominate is what comes to mind while eyeing their depth chart. Their starting receivers should pose a better match up then last weeks Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith show. Standing at 6-2, 6-1, 6-0, and 5-10 this shouldn’t be overwhelming for Jones and the rest of the Secondary, we just have to keep a lock on the Trojans QB Omar Haugabook, although not highly recruited out of JUCO he is still talented enough to cause some problems. This is what Carriker, Moore, Ruud, and McKeon are for, and I truly believe that they will hold him incheck with the help of the rest of the D.

Finally the atmosphere on game day… this will have little effect on Troy, because they have been here before and they won’t be intimidated simply because they believe that they can hang with any team in the country and you know what? They are right on.

On the other hand, crowd noise is ALWAYS a factor, so scream your little hearts out and it will be rewarded.

In conclusion comes my prediction…

NU – 42

Troy – 17

Passing: 339

Rushing: 215

Troy hangs in until the middle of the 3rd, but NU’s depth and talent pull them ahead big. Confidence and swagger return to top form and carry intothe Big 12 opener against KansAss.

I bid you farewell Husker Nation, and you’ll hear from me on Sunday.

GOOOOO BIIIIIG REEEDDDDD!!!

---------------------------------------

Comment here: http://www.huskerweekly.com/?p=23