MY Greatest Oklahoma Game

I was only 13 years old. My dad was head of security in the lockerroom. Our family had 2 tickets in the south stadium. However, my 2 oldest brothers were in line for the tickets. So, after begging my dad, he did what any dad would do. He took me to work. He had to be there at 11:00am for the 1:00pm games. I would go in with him and then I would wander around the stadium before the game. Man, it was cold for early November. There was sleet and some minor snow. Of course, not enough to cover the ground.

The Big 8 champion got an automatic bid to the Orange Bowl. Almost always, the NU/OU game decided the champion. I was moving around the stadium during the game because I did not have a seat. It was electrifying. Towards the end of the game, it was 14-14. Our team moved the ball toward the south stadium end zone. I just happen to be sitting, at the time, on the 2nd row stairway close to the field goals. As the team moved down the field, many stadium security told me to leave. But everytime, the fans said, "leave the kid alone" and they would just leave. Then, Billy Todd kicked a 24 yard field goal early in the fourth quarter to give the Huskers a 17-14 lead. Traditionally speaking, when you knew your team was going to win, most fans would throw oranges onto the field. Remember: it was a cold November day and most fans held their oranges till the end which meant semi-frozen oranges. About 2 minutes after the field goal from Billy Todd, I got nailed in the back of the head by one of those oranges. It HURT, but I did NOT go down! All the fans around me just asked if I was OK and brushed off the remains from my back of my coat with their hands. Osborne had finally beat Oklahoma!!!

It was the first time that, as a kid, I felt the sinserity of the Husker fans. They cared! I had been to games before and just watched the games.

Notibles in the Game:

Nebraska

Rick Berns - IB

IM Hipp - IB

Tom Sorley - QB

John Ruud (has sons playing now)

Derrie Nelson - DE?

Billy Todd - Kicker

Frank Lockett - WR

Jim Pillen - Monster Back

Oklahoma

Billy Sims - RB (Heisman Winner)

David Overstreet - FB

Kenny King - RB

Thomas Lott - QB

Uwe von Schamann - Kicker

Read the slugfest here:

http://www.huskernews.com/vnews/display.v/...01/01/34a99f763

That 1978 game was the first Husker game I ever went to in person.

We sat a couple of rows from the top of the South stadium looking straight down the OU sidelines. We were freezing our butts off as there was virtually no protection from the cold north winds. At the time I had thought we didn't have very good seats.

When NU had to settle for the field goal late in the game I was sure OU would make their infamous fourth quarter comeback and score a TD to beat us again. As it played out it looked, once again, that the Sooner speed on offense was going to be more than our tired defense could handle as they marched down the field putting them in position for at least a tieing field goal.

Then it happened. Billy Sims laid the ball down on the carpet again. The fumble occured right in front of us. I could see the ball laying on the ground and the tiny patch of green between the ball and the white sideline. Everything seemed to slow down as if it was occuring in slow motion. In my mind I was thinking it was going to bounce out of bounds before a Husker could get on top of it. But alas, Jimmy Pillen, recovered the fumble at the Husker 3 yardline and saved the day.

Amazingly, we didn't notice how cold it was after that. It was incredible watching the goal posts come down. We saw them being carried down "O" street as the fans took to the streets celebrating Osborne's first win over the evil Oklahoma.

What an unforgetable introduction to Memorial Stadium and the Husker Experience. As I look back on it, those seats don't look so bad now.