Tackling

zoogs

Why is it that we could not tackle those guys? I'm wondering. I'm no football analysis expert, and a lot of you here will know way more about the fundamentals and the techniques than I do, so I'm asking for your help.

Surely the most baffling storyline of last night was how we couldn't make the tackles on those guys. Same thing against Wake.

Against USC, one thing must've been our D-line getting dominated and not plugging in those holes. We did make tackles - when we had a bunch of guys on one of theirs. But one on one, we couldn't do it.

Was it because of lack of technique? I heard some people talk about tackling too high, not going low, etc. Were we trying to make too many arm tackles?

Or was it because USC's players were bigger, stronger, and more physical, and we couldn't bring them down? That's also a strong possibility to me this week, but if that is the case, what about against Wake?

And lastly, what can be done about it? I hear lots of people talk about changing players, McKeon and Ruud especially. I don't know - these guys are the soul of our defense. They're emotional leaders, they're battle tested, and they have the experience and awareness that our backups don't have - or am I wrong? I mean, we even saw some of our hard hitters (Asante) miss tackles. And that one goal-line bust up led by Brandenburgh was a play where we gambled outright on defense, and if USC hadn't run up the middle, we would have been completely exposed on the outside. (I think? That's how the announcers told it)