Steve Sipple

Interesting column. I'm not buying the book and I hope most Nebraskan's don't either. There was no need to write this book. I don't know Doak, but from all I've read he sounds like a nice guy. Too bad he had to get involved with this. No reason to give the program another black eye. Yesterday on 1620 they interviewed the author and it sounds like after he wrote a column for the Daily Nebraskan, Doak contacted him about writing this book. And the chanting about Coz as his son plays high school ball? Classless.

Steven M. Sipple: Nebraska has changed its ways

Friday, Oct 19, 2007 - 11:48:53 pm CDT

Where exactly did Nebraska football go wrong this season?

Where do I start?

The problems are so deep-rooted and widespread, you could probably write a book.

Now there’s an idea.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln student Jon Crowl beat everyone to the punch with “The Nebraska Way,” which traces the Huskers’ recent struggles on the gridiron to the abandonment of cultural values that once were the lifeblood of the program. Makes sense, I guess.

Interestingly, the Nebraska way evidently involves exacting extreme and perfectly timed revenge on a former employer who had fired you. Some would say that’s also Tony Soprano’s way, but let’s not become overly dramatic here.

Doak Ostergard — best I can tell, the most high-profile athletic trainer in the history of college or professional sports — was a key source for Crowl’s book. Ostergard, the longtime Nebraska trainer fired last February by Husker coach Bill Callahan, gets a measure of revenge on Callahan in the book in a big way — or I guess in the Nebraska way, if I understand all this correctly.

Ostergard recounts phone conversations Callahan allegedly had with Tom Osborne when Osborne was still a U.S. congressman. Among other things, Ostergard said Callahan called Osborne a “crusty old (expletive)” after talking with the former coach.

The book should be in bookstores in November. The author could be retired by March and living in a fantastic, “MTV Cribs” worthy beach house by July. So, maybe the Nebraska way isn’t all that much different than the American way after all.

Some are comparing this week’s hubbub at Nebraska — Steve Pederson’s firing and Osborne’s triumphant return to take his place — to a Shakespearean tragedy.

It often feels more like a bad soap opera, hardly worthy of William’s sophistication and artistry.

I almost feel guilty watching it, but, hey, I’m like everyone else — I can’t turn away, even though the Nebraska way apparently has an ugly side or two, or three or four.

The Nebraska way last week featured fans at one Lincoln high school chanting “Fire Coz!” as a son of Husker defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove played defensive back for the opposing team. Coach Cosgrove sat in a corner of the stadium listening to the chants and hurting for his son. I talked to the coach the next day and he said it was all part of big-time college coaching. He didn’t complain a bit, saying he understood Husker fans’ frustrations.

Of course, the Nebraska way is to be kind to our neighbors. So, we allowed a Colorado radio guy to get into our little act this week. A sudden and widespread erosion of work production in our state occurred Wednesday as a FOX Sports Radio host in Colorado breathlessly spelled out major changes on the Huskers’ coaching staff on a popular Internet message board. The newsy fiction, of course, spread like wildfire.

Osborne is moving swiftly with changes! Callahan is fired! Charlie McBride becomes interim head coach! Six o’clock press conference! The radio guy was 90 percent sure of it! Ninety percent!? He had confirmation from four sources! Four sources!

Uh, never mind.

So, Pederson gets a golden parachute. Callahan gets left behind in the middle of utter madness.

But at least it’s the Nebraska way.