Rhode Island recruit

NO CHANGE IN PLANS FOR MCCLELLAN, NEBRASKA

By Ed Owens - The Sun Staff

GROTON - Despite the coaching turmoil surrounding the University of Nebraska's football team, Fitch High senior Maurice McClellan's plans have not changed.

McClellan, who played his first three years in Stonington, transferred to Fitch at the beginning of the current season.

McClellan verbally committed to Nebraska in June, when Frank Solich was Nebraska's head coach.

But following a 9-3 season that ended with the Huskers ranked No. 21 in the ESPN/USA Today poll, Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson fired Solich on Nov. 30. Defensive coordinator Bo Pelini was named interim head coach.

Major coaching changes are grounds for concern for any player, especially for an incoming freshman. But McClellan stands by Nebraska's decision to remove Solich.

"I was shocked when I found out about coach Solich getting fired," McClellan said. "I haven't met (Pelini) and I haven't talked to him yet so I don't know exactly what's going on. Coach Jimmy Williams (linebacker coach) told me the situation though and I don't think they would have made the move if it wasn't a good move."

McClellan is coming off an injury plagued season at Fitch. He missed the first six games of the season after undergoing surgery to repair torn cartilage in his knee that he sustained during summer practices.

"My knee is feeling pretty strong right now," McClellan said. "I worried when I came back but I'm fine now. I am not worried about it. I still have my scholarship and I'm going to visit there next month. Coach Williams came to my house two weeks ago and they want me to go out there in June after I graduate. He said that if I go out there sooner then I will learn plays faster than the other freshmen."

McClellan, a running back and defensive back in high school, is projected as an outside linebacker by Nebraska coaches.

Throughout the uncertainty of the Huskers coaching situation, the only thing that has changed for McClellan is his arrival date.

"Nothing has changed (McClellan's) situation at Nebraska," Fitch coach Jim Buonocore said. "The scholarship offer still stands. After the firing of Solich, coach Williams flew in to Connecticut and paid a visit to Maurice and his family at home and to let him know that (McClellan) is still the man and that the offer still stood. Things are on the up and up. Maurice is going to sign with Nebraska on Feb. 3. Everything is still a go."