Super D

This guy really is a lot of fun to watch. I really like everything about him. Even when he talks at press conferences, he's sincere in his remarks, he's cares a great deal about his teammates and wants to make Nebraskans proud.

Thank you Super D

Williams key cog in Blackshirts' success

BYSTEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star Nebraska's Demorrio Williams has established himself as an explosive outside linebacker.

The Texas native, however, needs work on the art of diplomacy.

Asked about ending his college career in the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio, Williams said, "I hate that we're going there because I don't like getting a lot of tickets for people. I rather we ended up in San Diego. But we're going to Texas, so that's where I have to play."

Kansas State's upset of Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game ruined Nebraska's chances of playing in the Holiday Bowl in San Diego.

So now the 9-3 and No. 22-ranked Huskers prepare to play Michigan State in the Dec. 29 Alamo Bowl. The 8-4 Spartans feature a pass-oriented attack led by strong-armed pocket passer Jeff Smoker.

"It's all going to start up front with pressure," said Williams, of Beckville, Texas, who leads Nebraska with nine sacks and 13 quarterback hurries. "We can't give him all day to sit back and look at all the options he has to throw the ball to.

"We're going to have to dominate up front so he has to run, and Idon't think he wants to run. We want to put pressure on him and make him turn the ball over."

The 6-foot-3, 224-pound Smoker this season has completed 62.6 percent of his passes for 3,239 yards with 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. Michigan State has averaged 279.5 passing yards to lead the Big Ten and rank 19th nationally.

Smoker, however, rushed for minus 90 yards, as the Spartans surrendered 27 sacks.

A first-team All-Big 12 selection, Williams is a key cog in a Nebraska defense that ranks second nationally in takeaways with 44 while ranking among the top 15 nationally in four of five major statistical categories.

Lining up as a defensive end in passing situations, Williams also led the team in tackles for loss and fumble recoveries.

"He's a playmaker," said Bo Pelini, Nebraska's defensive coordinator and interim head coach. "We try to use him in different ways and utilize his talents in as many ways as we possibly can. We try to put him in situations where he can make plays for us. I give him a lot of credit. He's come a long way in the last 11 months."

Pelini receives much of the credit for the Huskers' defensive resurgence. Williams said Pelini's impact began the first time the coach addressed his defenders.

"He said, `You guys have never played hard, you don't even know what it means,'" Williams recalled. "I can remember one time in the spring. We just went three plays (in practice), and I felt like they were the hardest three plays I've ever played in my life.

"He's a great teacher, too, and he's got a great staff around him."

In recent days, Williams has been staying after practice and doing defensive back footwork with senior cornerback Pat Ricketts.

"It's just learning a little something extra, you know," Williams said. "Pat's pretty smooth, so I thought he could teach me a couple of things ... The best way to be is to be prepared for anything that could happen."

Pelini said the 6-foot-1, 215-pound Williams is athletic enough to play safety in the NFL. However, Pelini said, Williams' position will depend on the system of the team that drafts him.

"From my experience in the NFL, when you're looking at tape, sometimes you just throw out size and numbers and just say, `He's a good football player and we have to get him on our football team,'" said Pelini, who spent nine seasons as an NFL assistant.

Meantime, for the second straight season, Williams and his teammates prepare for a bowl game amid major change on the Nebraska coaching staff. Last season, three defensive assistants were fired before the Independence Bowl.

Three weeks ago, Husker athletic director Steve Pederson fired head coach Frank Solich.

"It's been hard, but the key thing my coach always says is a leader is the type of guy who steps up when times get hard," Williams said. "But I don't really feel like I have to do a lot, because a lot of guys on this team are more mature than they were last year. They can handle these situations.

"It'll be my last time playing with these guys, and I've really enjoyed playing with them. I just want to leave on top. Ijust want to go down there and prove to people this is a good team. We've had some ups and downs, but we still have the talent to go down there and win this game."

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

• 2 weeks later...