Ohio RB looking to bring buddies

December 24, 2003

Nebraska commitment at this time?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duane 'Roz' Rossiter

Huskers Illustrated

Rivals.com

The word has been that the recruits that visited Nebraska during the December 12 weekend, were told to hold off on making a verbal commitment to NU. The reason was the coaching situation was in doubt. That might not be the exact story, but it doesn’t matter, as one top-flite recruit has made up his mind for Nebraska - no matter what happens. See here for this story and details.

“I’m just getting over this cold,” running back Delbert Ferguson said when asked how he was doing. “Not much else really.”

Then he came out with what are his intentions for the future.

“I’m probably gonna go to Nebraska next month,” the 6-foot-1, 220-pound running back said. “It will probably be when they go back to school on the 12th.”

The assumption has been that without interim coach being named as the new head coach, he would not be committing. He was asked that question and he gave us the following answer.

“Hopefully it will be Bo Pelini,” he said.

And if not and what about waiting for a new coach?

“They did (tell me to wait), but I think I might be there anyway. I know some of the coaches will be there. I know coach Gill will be there.”

“I would be okay on whoever they hire. I liked it a lot there.”

When asked when he would be telling the Nebraska coaches, he said, “They are at the bowl now. I will be talking to somebody next week. I‘m pretty much set.”

We asked him why he likes Nebraska and what position he was recruited to play at Nebraska - Is it as a fullback, as previously reported?

“I like the opportunity to play early. No, they are recruiting me to play running back.”

Delbert Ferguson is coming off a serious injury, but he is confident on the word from the doctors.

“They (doctors) said next month, January. I should be normal. I should be doing everything by the end of January. I should play in the spring game. I’m ready…been ready.”

Two of his teammates are scheduled to visit Nebraska next month - Brandon Braxton and Daryll Clark.

“I know they are both visiting Nebraska in January. Daryll - I heard it is between Nebraska and Penn State. I’ll be at Nebraska when they visit and will talk to them then. I’ll be seeing them tonight too.”