NU loses recruit

Redout

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

Bayshore's Adams commits to Spartans

BY ALAN DELL CORRESPONDENT

BRADENTON -- Christmas has always been a special day for Sirdarean Adams, afterall, it's also his birthday.

But this past Christmas, the Bayshore High quarterback made it the most memorable day of his life when he verbally committed to play football at Michigan State University.

The just turned 18-year-old, who is being heavily recruited by many of the major college programs in the country, had narrowed his choices down to Michigan State and Miami. More than a week ago, he decided on the Spartans, but wanted to wait until Christmas Day to make the commitment.

"I called coach (John) Smith on Christmas Day morning and told him I was coming there and he told me he was excited," Adams said. "I wanted to wait until Christmas Day to commit because it's also my birthday and I thought that would be the perfect day to do it."

The Spartans plan to use the speedy six-foot, two-inch, 215-pound Adams at wide receiver. The chance to get on the field next year as a starter at the position and his desire to play for Smith, Big Ten Coach of The Year, sold him on Michigan State.

"I wanted to play for coach Smith because he is so much like my coach here (Bayshore High head coach Raymond Woodie)," Adams said. "Coach Woodie is like a father to all his players and is a tough disciplinarian, which I like. I think coach Smith is exactly the same."

Michigan State finished its season with an 8-5 record, losing 17-3 to Nebraska in the Alamo Bowl. Ironically, Nebraska at one time was at the top of Adams' list, but when the Huskers fired head coach Frank Solich they lost Adams.

Adams limited his visits to Michigan State and Nebraska. He said Miami, which wants to use him as a defensive back, told him he could still visit the school. But Adams said he isn't going to change his mind and he prefers playing wide receiver.

"I chose Michigan State because they need help and I want to be the one who can take them over the hump," Adams said. "They throw the ball a lot and I think I have a chance to be a starter next season."

Adams was a Herald-Tribune first team All-Area selection this year. He quarterbacked Bayshore to its best season in school history, but most colleges were recruiting him as an athlete, a lot of it based on his athleticism and 4.4 40-yard dash he ran at several Nike summer camps.