"We are lucky this happened against SDSU"

Anyone who has played ball knows- the best position is the under dog position. We got SDSUs best last night and that only got them a 17-3 loss(with a nice paycheck). In my mind, we were not lucky it was SDSU, but unlucky that they were even on the schedule. Anyone who has been on a good team knows how hard it is to get up for a game that has no real implications/below average opponent. Don't get me wrong SDSU fans, your team has my respect.

I have to admit- I am a little surprised that the kids came out with no intensity at home and as my old ball coach used to say, "you guys were just going through the motions out there- Your playing with them!". It is especially surprising from this staff, that usually always has the kids focused. The announcers on TV were saying the coaching staff made the game plan especially complex this week to try and get the kids to focus a little harder. Perhaps this was our downfall. I think everyone understands that we had to try some different passing looks, but I think a lot of us thought we would be doing this after a 28-0 lead.

:bonesflag:

"Today was our day off"

-Bo

Most teams have an off game or two throughout the season. Yes, for the better teams, many times it happens against weaker opponents and can be attributed to overlooking them to some extent. However, it's naive the think that's the only time it happens. Sometimes things just don't go your way no matter who the opponent is, and sometimes you come out flat no matter who you're playing.

That it was SDSU was part of it, I'm sure, but that wasn't all of it. We were quite lucky this happened against SDSU, who btw, played a very good game.

Anyone who has played ball knows- the best position is the under dog position. We got SDSUs best last night and that only got them a 17-3 loss(with a nice paycheck). In my mind, we were not lucky it was SDSU, but unlucky that they were even on the schedule. Anyone who has been on a good team knows how hard it is to get up for a game that has no real implications/below average opponent. Don't get me wrong SDSU fans, your team has my respect.

I have to admit- I am a little surprised that the kids came out with no intensity at home and as my old ball coach used to say, "you guys were just going through the motions out there- Your playing with them!". It is especially surprising from this staff, that usually always has the kids focused. The announcers on TV were saying the coaching staff made the game plan especially complex this week to try and get the kids to focus a little harder. Perhaps this was our downfall. I think everyone understands that we had to try some different passing looks, but I think a lot of us thought we would be doing this after a 28-0 lead.

:bonesflag:

"Today was our day off"

-Bo

I hope you're right. I've watched the game twice (and rewound certain plays numerous times) and to me, it wasn't a case of a team just over looking someone, as a team that was confused at times and manhandled at others.

Not sure what overlooking has to do with a qb locking on and telegraphing every throw, or skipping balls, or an offensive linemen getting blown off the line.

I'm sure there is some of that, but I wouldn't discount this all as an overlook. Remember, the offensive line was horribble last year and Martinez has not yet proven he can be a good thrower. So to chalk it up as a fluke and not notice there are some real concerns STILL with the offense, is short sighted imo.

You're right about that HEAT,

Carl said last week was the most complete football game he has seen played by Nebraska since he has been here, I wonder if he considers this week a complete turn-around? Like I said in the original post: The coaching staff did beef up the game plan this week to try and keep the kids focused- too many new concepts? or perhaps just enough to slide by SDSU?

I agree, we are lucky they didn't have one or two more big plays or that game could have gone either way, I think we will be alright against ISU this year, there is bad blood in the air. KU maybe another team to watch out for- their WR might just pull that TD pass down- or QB make that throw a bit better.