Execute, Execute, Execute

Husker Z

If there was ever a week where offensive and defensive execution is key, this is it. MU's d is MUCH improved, but they will still give up yards, but they really stiffen inside the 20. This will be KEY this weekend. We've had a nice trend of scoring outside the 20's, but you can't always bank on that. NU's offense has too many playmakers for MU to shut down all day if we execute our offense. Points will come at a premium this weekend, so drops, broken plays, fumbles, missed blocking assignments will all need to be kept at a minimum. UT game is a prime example. UT's defense is, statistically, much better than MU's across the board. We struggled to get much going on offense that game, BUT, had we simply executed the few plays that WERE there, we win that game by 2-3 TD's and are probably a top 2-3 team in the country right now. I said it yesterday as well, but when Watson takes the training wheels off this offense and Martinez gets comfortable, you can't stop it, no chance. When a D keys on the pass, we have three backs that will flat out gash you, if you start walking up help from the secondary, there is a group of 4-5 WR's that will burn you over the top. BUT, you have to execute when those plays happen, can't afford not to in a game like this, or you'll lose, see UT!

Same goes on the defensive side of the ball. I'm sure most of you have gone back and watched the OSU game, or at least highlights. OSU got SO MANY yards on plays where we had the play played perfectly, only to put our heads down and miss a tackle and Hunter goes for 20+ yards, when it should have been dead in the backfield. The long pass plays don't concern me as a long term problem, Prince had most of them played very well, but it was just a big time player making a big time play, underthrown balls are one of the toughest in the game to defend against without drawing a penalty. My concern on D was missed tackles and a handful of missed assignments, again, those can't happen this week or they'll get burnt. This D was built from day one to stop this Missouri offense, there is no way around that. This will be the best D MU has faced as far as stopping their offense. All that crap that The Pelinis have said about keeping everything in front of you and not allowing the big play ALL POINTS TO THIS GAME. MU won't test us deep, they don't have the WR's to do so and that's not what they are good at. They will throw the ball 8-12 yards on quick plays all day long, based on timing. The D needs to disrupt that timing, either up front or by the DB's playing physical and picking the right time to jump a route, trust your instincts, trust your coaches!

I expect a great game on Saturday, but, if NU comes out and executes and does the little things right, they will win this game. NU has better athletes all over the field that MU does. We match up very well against them and are the favored team for a reason. BUT, you have to execute, you have to trust your coaches, trust what you saw on film and have faith in your own abilities out there. Don't think, just trust!!

:throwdabones1::bigredn::bonesflag:

They will throw the ball 8-12 yards on quick plays all day long, based on timing. The D needs to disrupt that timing, either up front or by the DB's playing physical and picking the right time to jump a route, trust your instincts, trust your coaches!

Herein lies the big difference between our defense and that of Oklahoma, which was not able to stop these quick-strike-between-the-hashes Mizzou pass plays. Along with the incredible play we get on the outside and deep from our DBs and safeties, we have some of the best defensive playmakers in the B12 - Gomes, Hagg, David - when it comes to between-the-hashes defense and coverage of short, quick patterns across the 2nd tier. We need a huge game from our entire secondary no doubt, but I think the game will be decided by the playmaking abilities of these three Blackshirts.

They will throw the ball 8-12 yards on quick plays all day long, based on timing. The D needs to disrupt that timing, either up front or by the DB's playing physical and picking the right time to jump a route, trust your instincts, trust your coaches!

Herein lies the big difference between our defense and that of Oklahoma, which was not able to stop these quick-strike-between-the-hashes Mizzou pass plays. Along with the incredible play we get on the outside and deep from our DBs and safeties, we have some of the best defensive playmakers in the B12 - Gomes, Hagg, David - when it comes to between-the-hashes defense and coverage of short, quick patterns across the 2nd tier. We need a huge game from our entire secondary no doubt, but I think the game will be decided by the playmaking abilities of these three Blackshirts.

I completely agree. MU won't see slow footed LB's out there chasing slot receivers and backs across the middle like OU did. Everyone keeps talking about getting pressure on Gabbert, which I also think is important, but it's the second priority if you ask me. First priority is to knock the WR's off their routes just enough to throw off their timing based offense. You can see when Gabbert looks for his WR's, if the timing is off, he starts to panic a bit and starts getting happy feet. They key after throwing off the timing is getting at least a push into the backfield to make it seem like there is more pressure than there really is. Gabbert is prone to panic and throw bad balls when the play breaks down a bit.

We are the best team MU has played all year, just play our game, execute the plan and we'll be fine.

I completely agree. MU won't see slow footed LB's out there chasing slot receivers and backs across the middle like OU did. Everyone keeps talking about getting pressure on Gabbert, which I also think is important, but it's the second priority if you ask me. First priority is to knock the WR's off their routes just enough to throw off their timing based offense. You can see when Gabbert looks for his WR's, if the timing is off, he starts to panic a bit and starts getting happy feet. They key after throwing off the timing is getting at least a push into the backfield to make it seem like there is more pressure than there really is. Gabbert is prone to panic and throw bad balls when the play breaks down a bit.

We are the best team MU has played all year, just play our game, execute the plan and we'll be fine.

Part of executing defensively is also being ready for when Gabbert runs the ball. Obviously the mobility of Gilbert killed us vs Texas (along with poor tackling) so we gotta know Gabbert is capable of hurting us with his feet. I know he scored a rushing TD on us last year, and against OU he had at least 2 designed run plays, both worked for 5-10 yard gains. As important as it is to be prepared for Gabbert running the ball, we must wrap him up the first time. That goes for any tackle 'cause broken tackles will kill us - all part of executing I guess.

I think you are underestimating Missouri. I agree Nebraska is quite athletic, that being said, Missouri is just as "athletic" as Nebraska. The teams are just athletic in different ways. Martinez a tremendous runner, quick, fast.. Gabbert big athlete, cannon for an arm and strong in the pocket with good speed. Both very athletic but different. Helu and Birkhead, strong big running backs, but not really with break away speed. Lawrence and Josey and Devon Moore, very quick very fast, ability to eat up 20 yds quickly.

The WR's of Moe, Jackson and Egnew, athletic, strong receivers and Jackson becoming his old self after injury. McNeil a solid tight end with enough speed to get up the seam, Pauls good speed and a deep threat.

Defensively.. MU has great athletes at LB with Gooden and Ebner.. Nebraska has their great athletes at DB and Lb... Missouri's defensive front probably a bit more athletic with Aldon Smith and J Smith..

Pretty Even from where I sit.. many of you will have a different seat..lol

I think you are underestimating Missouri. I agree Nebraska is quite athletic, that being said, Missouri is just as "athletic" as Nebraska. The teams are just athletic in different ways. Martinez a tremendous runner, quick, fast.. Gabbert big athlete, cannon for an arm and strong in the pocket with good speed. Both very athletic but different. Helu and Birkhead, strong big running backs, but not really with break away speed. Lawrence and Josey and Devon Moore, very quick very fast, ability to eat up 20 yds quickly.

The WR's of Moe, Jackson and Egnew, athletic, strong receivers and Jackson becoming his old self after injury. McNeil a solid tight end with enough speed to get up the seam, Pauls good speed and a deep threat.

Defensively.. MU has great athletes at LB with Gooden and Ebner.. Nebraska has their great athletes at DB and Lb... Missouri's defensive front probably a bit more athletic with Aldon Smith and J Smith..

Pretty Even from where I sit.. many of you will have a different seat..lol

Nope,Nebraska hands down has the better athletes. :thumbs