Mississippi GOP on Interracial Marriage

Ah, yes. Marriage rights are not a hot topic in national politics. :thumbs

So your (flawed) deductive reasoning flows something like this:

Marriage rights are important to national politics

Interracial marriage is a form of a marriage right

Interracial marriage is important to national politics

?

Ok, let's use a metaphor that we all will love to put this in real terms, Nebraska Football

Nebraska RBs contributed 2258 rushing yards last season to the statistical rushing total

Tyler Legate is a Nebraska RB

Tyler Legate contributed to the statistical rushing total

Come on, you're better than that (right?)

Is this still the Politics and Religion board?

My thinking is that marriage rights are a national issue at the moment. The debate is currently about the legality and propriety of same sex marriage. Now if Mississippi is (apparently) having trouble accepting the legality of interracial marriage (which I think most consider a settled issue) it seems unlikely that they would accept the even more recent issue of same sex marriage. Also, I find it interesting that such a high percentage of one party's voters are so openly racist. I'm interested to see how the Democratic primary voters in Mississippi compare.

If that doesn't sufficiently justify the topic to you . . . well . . . I just don't know how I'll sleep tonight. :(

• Fire 2

Ok the debate is currently on the legality of taxing unhealthy lifestyle choices. So if someone in New Hampshire surveys 400 "hardcore fast food eaters" and ask them if they are in favor of or against McDonald's hamburgers, I can reasonably assume that if 46% of the "hardcore restaurant connoisseurs" (usually go out to eat at least once a week) are for McDonald's hamburgers that it is unlikely that they (the state of New Hampshire) would accept a tax on fax food? So your definition of "politics" is making cryptic yet technically possible linkages between the opinions of a miniscule subset of a population? Oh yeah, we would also have to assume that those who are against McDonald's hamburgers are prejudiced against McDonald's, right?

Explain how Mississippi is "having trouble accepting the legality of interracial marriage"?

"Mr. UGAHusker, are you for or against the speed limit?" "Totally against it, I actually want to drive 120 on the interstate!" "Do you accept the legality of the speed limit and limit your 120 MPH escapades because of it?" "Yeah, my baby never goes above 70"

UGAHusker is having trouble accepting the legality of the speed limit?

Also, how are these voters "openly racist"? Do you have undisclosed information where all of the people who answered "opposed" claimed to be racist? Do you know what percentage of people claimed that they were opposed to interracial marriages because they are racist against all non-whites, or because they personally would not marry interracially (take any polling class and you'll quickly learn that what survey administrators ask and what people hear/how they interpret the question are often very different ex. If they surveyor asked me if I were in favor or opposed to fit people marrying fat people and I said no because I don't want to marry a fat person, the assumption is that I am prejudiced against fat people?)

You still have failed to link why you care about how a state that you don't live in and I'm assuming have never traveled to affects your daily life. Have a lot of gay friends that want to live out their dream existence, living with their spouse in Mississippi? I'm sure you do. Do you honestly think that the attitudes of a select number of Mississippians (lay citizens, not legislators) on the topics of gay marriage or interracial marriage is going to influence the legislative processes in other states or set national precedent? For as much as you claim to know or be around political issues, you don't appear to have a firm grasp on how political processes work in real-life.

EDIT: Thought of a better example of making a ridiculous assumption. Everyone who answers the question "I am for the legalization of marijuana" is a drug addict. I mean, they have to be, the want to be able smoke a doobie at their own leisure, man! These people obviously have trouble accepting the legality of the "whole marijuana is illegal" thing.

Ok the debate is currently on the legality of taxing unhealthy lifestyle choices. So if someone in New Hampshire surveys 400 "hardcore fast food eaters" and ask them if they are in favor of or against McDonald's hamburgers, I can reasonably assume that if 46% of the "hardcore restaurant connoisseurs" (usually go out to eat at least once a week) are for McDonald's hamburgers that it is unlikely that they (the state of New Hampshire) would accept a tax on fax food? So your definition of "politics" is making cryptic yet technically possible linkages between the opinions of a miniscule subset of a population? Oh yeah, we would also have to assume that those who are against McDonald's hamburgers are prejudiced against McDonald's, right?

Explain how Mississippi is "having trouble accepting the legality of interracial marriage"?

"Mr. UGAHusker, are you for or against the speed limit?" "Totally against it, I actually want to drive 120 on the interstate!" "Do you accept the legality of the speed limit and limit your 120 MPH escapades because of it?" "Yeah, my baby never goes above 70"

UGAHusker is having trouble accepting the legality of the speed limit?

Also, how are these voters "openly racist"? Do you have undisclosed information where all of the people who answered "opposed" claimed to be racist? Do you know what percentage of people claimed that they were opposed to interracial marriages because they are racist against all non-whites, or because they personally would not marry interracially (take any polling class and you'll quickly learn that what survey administrators ask and what people hear/how they interpret the question are often very different ex. If they surveyor asked me if I were in favor or opposed to fit people marrying fat people and I said no because I don't want to marry a fat person, the assumption is that I am prejudiced against fat people?)

You still have failed to link why you care about how a state that you don't live in and I'm assuming have never traveled to affects your daily life. Have a lot of gay friends that want to live out their dream existence, living with their spouse in Mississippi? I'm sure you do. Do you honestly think that the attitudes of a select number of Mississippians (lay citizens, not legislators) on the topics of gay marriage or interracial marriage is going to influence the legislative processes in other states or set national precedent? For as much as you claim to know or be around political issues, you don't appear to have a firm grasp on how political processes work in real-life.

EDIT: Thought of a better example of making a ridiculous assumption. Everyone who answers the question "I am for the legalization of marijuana" is a drug addict. I mean, they have to be, the want to be able smoke a doobie at their own leisure, man! These people obviously have trouble accepting the legality of the "whole marijuana is illegal" thing.

I see that you've adopted the avalanche approach. McDonalds. Speeding. Marijuana. My travel history! (And little ol' me thinking we were talking about marriage? How foolish.) Since I'm not interested in your opinions enough to answer each disjointed analogy, I'll just bold the part that made me laugh. Who said anything about racism towards non-whites? Put that UGA education to work and find where that was stated.

Also, it's a damn good thing that those select lay citizens don't have voting rights, isn't it? Perhaps you should start with Schoolhouse Rock before moving on to those polling classes. ;)

Please, don't take this the wrong way . . . but you might find a better way to waste your time than telling others what political stories they should or shouldn't be interested in following. It's not that I don't appreciate your concern, because I do. It's much appreciated.

• Fire 1