Special Teams, Ball Security, and Penalties

Ok..... :boxosoap

We obviously have a lot to work on, and a long way to go before we are a top tier contender again. However, before we can even DISCUSS stepping up to that next level, these fundamental issues have to be looked at. The thing about it that's bothering me so much the past couple of weeks, is that (to the best of my memory), these have been issues since Bo took over. Don't take this as a "Bo needs to be fired" thread, that's not what I'm getting at. I just don't understand how these simple, simple things can continuously be so atrocious.

Today's game certainly highlighted it, but our Special Teams play has been, IMO, has been the worst part of our game by far (dare I say some of the worst ST play in the country). We hold our collective breath in our house everytime we kick off. I can't believe that it is a talent issue, we have plenty of good atheletes on this team. Honest question, can any one here identify where the break down is occuring? There has to be a fundamental issue with the way we approach Special Teams for it to be consitantly bad.

There are a couple of things I will roll into ball security - Fumbles and Drops. Again, this is not a 'fire Pelini' thread, but I have to imagine that a good portion of this issue starts with the coaching? I find it inexcusable to have this many fumbles and dropped passes on a week-to-week basis at the DIV-I level. The bulk of a reciever's job description is catching passes. Why is it that our entire recieving corps. has such an issue with this? Martinez is finally putting the majority of his throws on target, and we've got balls hitting our recievers in the hands that aren't being caught. I know this goes without being said, but there is no chance at getting back to where we want to be with out this being addressed.

Did any one keep a tab on fumbles today? Better yet, does anyone have a running tab for fumbles on the season? I almost EXPECT a fumble now. Other than Burkhead, I've lost all confidence in our guy's ability to hold on to the ball. I'll ask again, because I truely don't know the answer; Do you think this is a problem with coaching? Or is ball security something that should be built in to a player's skill-set when they enter the program? Biggest thing though, is how does it get fixed, because I've NEVER seen (or heard of, for that matter) a team that coughs up the ball like we do.

Last, but not least, is this penalty issue. I think it's improved over the past couple of years, but it still amazes me how much we get penalized. This was definitely not a problem I thought we'd encounter with this coaching staff. I didn't expect to see such a lack of discipline, it was something that I assumed would be there, given the nature of our staff. Though it was a questionable call, that special teams penalty totally took the guts out of any comeback possibilty late in the game. To me, there is nothing more frustrating than these drive-killing penalties.

I don't know, fellas.... Clearly we're not at the level we want to be, There isn't a doubt in my mind that we will, eventually, get back to where we want to be. However, we have to agree that it CAN'T HAPPEN with out resolving these key issues. So, what's burning on my mind, is HOW DOES IT GET FIXED?!

:rant

KEEP THE FAITH! THERE'S LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL GUYS!!!! GO BIG RED!!!!

Even if we don't fumble in this game, we still get our butts kicked. We could not move the ball. We were 1 out of 122 3rd down conversions. They ran the ball on us like they were running practice drills because our D line gets pushed around. We always seem to expose the strengths of the opponents weakness, like Shoelace is not a good passer.....unless he's playing Nebraska. Despite what you might say about Taylor, the fact is the O-line sucks.