I can remember a year or two ago on CNN they were discussing that someone started a college scholarship for poor white men. Some people in the black community were upset that a scholarship like this was being accepted. I don't know what the big deal about it is but they were pretty upset.

I can remember a year or two ago on CNN they were discussing that someone started a college scholarship for poor white men. Some people in the black community were upset that a scholarship like this was being accepted. I don't know what the big deal about it is but they were pretty upset.

That scholarship has existed for years, it's called the GI bill. baaazing.

and I'm banned.

• Fire 3

When whitepeoplemeet.com doesn't cause a big stink, we'll know we've reached the level of equality we've been striving for. The Sharpton's and Jackson's of the world keep true equality from being realized because they won't allow their favored community to truly be treated like everyone else. As long as there are any distinctions made due to color or race, racism will endure. I just can't figure out if these guys do it on purpose to stay in the limelight or if they really don't understand what the cause needs.

I can already see the minds churning, how dare I blame discrimination on those who point out it's existence? I know there is still real racism and discrimination. Imo there always will be. I just think we are at the point that it's time to start acting like we've arrived and quit having these over reactions to isolated cases of bigotry. I think the majority of people are on the right side of the issue and it's time to start treating the racists and bigots like the minority they are and not give them the control position by default.

• Fire 3

I can only talk about what I have seen in various places, especially in the South, that I have lived. They are my own experiences and my own interpretation of them so I don't want to hear a bunch of s$*t...but what I'm talking about are the super-restrictive dress codes at bars, the members-only clubs and billiards lounges, the massive networks of private schools founded post-brown v. board, the public transportation systems that end just outside of white neighborhoods, white neighborhoods that are kept white with gates and housing authorities and even some things I've seen with police. I'm not some bleeding heart liberal but the de facto segregation and discrimination that exists in this country, at least in the South, is very real.

Was just going to comment about the south. I worked in Mobile for the last year, and they have "members only" bars. There is no way to become a member, you just walk in, if your the right person you are in.

Yep same with me, I learned that "members-only" was a code word for White when I lived in SC. Same thing with schools there. There are the public schools where black families send their kids and then tons of moderately priced private schools founded in the 1960's where the white families that can afford it send their kids. It's not like the Midwest where almost if not all of the private schools are Catholic, nah these are I-don't-want-my-kids-to-be-in-school-with-black-people type private schools.

I'll bet $100 that every single person in this thread that has said it is a double standard and not fair is a white dude.

It's real simple and it's ignorant not to understand this - white people don't need white-exclusive things, because most of the systems and institutions in our country are already white exclusive, or at least white advantageous. That's what we had in the 60's, but the key difference is we are the oppressors in doing it. If blacks or any other minority group form together in exclusivity, it's not because of discrimination (not to say that there are not individual people in the world that are discriminatory against whites because obviously there are), it's in response to being discriminated against. Our world still has vestiges of belief that having white skin is more desirable, so asking for something like a whitepeoplemeet.com reinforces that belief.

As simple as I can explain it, the difference lies in power. White exclusivity oppresses minorities due to power held. Minority exclusivity is to protect against oppression, and does nothing to whites.

Think of it this way - we have a black history month. Do we need a white history month? No. Why? Because the history taught in our schools essentially IS white history month. Blackpeoplemeet.com isn't an effort to say "OH WE NEED TO KEEP THE WHITE PEOPLE AWAY". It's an effort to heal as a people group that isn't done bleeding yet.

JJ, you're fooling yourself if you think that examples of racism and bigotry towards people of color are isolated incidents and it sounds like what you are asking for is to just pretend like nobody has race, when we should be celebrating racial diversity.

I'm not asking for a whitepeoplemeet.com and I'm not ignorant. My point is, as long as there are things like blackpeoplemeet, affirmative action quotas, scholarships designated for certain races, etc., then inequality will continue. Part of being equal is realizing you are in fact equal and not asking to be treated differently. If you don't think the race issue has advanced far enough to achieve that level of equality, then maybe you're right, maybe society just isn't ready yet but I am already there and wish more people would catch up.

People of color have all of the laws they ever likely to have to assure their legal equality. Imo that only leaves attitudes and popular opinion left to change. I think a clear majority already accept equality regardless of race or color. It's time we leave the bigots and racists in our wake and quit empowering their antiquated attitudes.

JJ, you're fooling yourself if you think that examples of racism and bigotry towards people of color are isolated incidents and it sounds like what you are asking for is to just pretend like nobody has race, when we should be celebrating racial diversity.

Why should everyone "celebrate" diversity? What does someone else's heritage have to do with mine? Sure, I think there are some cool stories that black friends' parents have told me about what they went through and the trials and tribulations and I applaud them for the efforts that they made to make things better for themselves and others like them, but why is it up to everyone else to celebrate it as well? Why can't I be content celebrating my own heritage and the diversity that my background affords? Are the homogonous countries throughout the world (which are most of them, in case you didn't know) celebrating diversity? I think not.

How about white cultural minorities (non-American people) living in the country? They are "less American" than racial minorities who have been in this country for years? Are they part of the oppression as well solely because they're white? I'm not buying it.

I have no problem with these kinds of websites or bandings, whether it be with minority groups, fraternal groups, etc. but they should be universally accepted across the board. How quickly would a "nofattiesdate.com" dating site be put through the ringer if it popped up?

I'm not asking for a whitepeoplemeet.com and I'm not ignorant. My point is, as long as there are things like blackpeoplemeet, affirmative action quotas, scholarships designated for certain races, etc., then inequality will continue. Part of being equal is realizing you are in fact equal and not asking to be treated differently. If you don't think the race issue has advanced far enough to achieve that level of equality, then maybe you're right, maybe society just isn't ready yet but I am already there and wish more people would catch up.

People of color have all of the laws they ever likely to have to assure their legal equality. Imo that only leaves attitudes and popular opinion left to change. I think a clear majority already accept equality regardless of race or color. It's time we leave the bigots and racists in our wake and quit empowering their antiquated attitudes.

still being horribly unequal is the reason these things exist. as things improve (if they continue to improve) they can be phased out.

Median household income for whites: $49,000

Median household income for blacks: $30,000

Mean household income for whites: $65,000

Mean household income for blacks: $40,600

Median household net worth for whites: $110,000

Median household net worth for blacks: $5,000

We live in a society that is still recovering from the massive toll placed on blacks by slavery, by overt racism like Jim Crow laws, and now by systemic racism, by political policies that leave the poor (predominantly minorities) population hanging out to dry, by urban gentrification, by lack of funding for schools in areas highly populated by minorities, etc etc.

We don't get to complain about double standards. Because the current standard puts whites way ahead. It might not be your fault or mine, but it is the fault of whites both now and throughout the history of our country.

• Fire 1

Median household income for whites: $49,000

Median household income for blacks: $30,000

Mean household income for whites: $65,000

Mean household income for blacks: $40,600

Median household net worth for whites: $110,000

Median household net worth for blacks: $5,000

We live in a society that is still recovering from the massive toll placed on blacks by slavery, by overt racism like Jim Crow laws, and now by systemic racism, by political policies that leave the poor (predominantly minorities) population hanging out to dry, by urban gentrification, by lack of funding for schools in areas highly populated by minorities, etc etc.

We don't get to complain about double standards. Because the current standard puts whites way ahead. It might not be your fault or mine, but it is the fault of whites both now and throughout the history of our country.

Would you mind including the stats for Asian-Americans as well. Thanks!

Say what you're going to say, so I can laugh at you.

I know where you're going, and its such a hilarious argument that maybe I'll just step back and let you make a fool of yourself

Say what you're going to say, so I can laugh at you.

I know where you're going, and its such a hilarious argument that maybe I'll just step back and let you make a fool of yourself

My point is that using salary figures to paint one group as an "oppresor" and one group as being "oppressed" is a flawed process in a number of areas.

And please laugh all you want. With as much as you contribute to "The Thread of Hate" it should REALLY do you good.