Riley statement on staff shakeup/firing

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/breaking-nebraska-defensive-coordinator-mark-banker-fired

“I want to thank Mark for his hard work and contributions to our football program the past two years and for all of his service and dedication as a member of my other coaching staffs,” Riley said in a statement. “We will conduct a national search to find a great coach, teacher and recruiter as we continue our pursuit of championships.”

Banker and Riley have worked together for all but one season since 1996, Banker serving as Riley’s defensive coordinator beginning in 1999 with the San Diego Chargers, then holding the same position under Riley at Oregon State and Nebraska. The Cornhuskers ranked seventh in the Big Ten in 2016 in total offense.

In addition to Banker being let go, Riley also announced that Stewart was leaving Lincolnto take over as defensive coordinator at Rice next season.

Also leaving will be Director of Player Personnel Ryan Gunderson:

“Ryan Gunderson will also be leaving our recruiting staff to pursue an on-field coaching opportunity at another institution,” Riley said in the statement.

“Gundy has been a valuable part of our operation both at Nebraska and Oregon State. I’m excited that he’s getting a chance to get back on the field in a coaching role and wish him the best of luck.”

• Fire 4