4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I also assume he knows how to count, but when the RB comes out for a single play I don't know that they run and ask him who should go in. And when the playcall doesn't involve the RB, I don't think it's crazy he wouldn't have noticed Rahmir being out there for a play. But Frost either forgot or didn't realize Rahmir had been in one of the games, so I'm assuming Held told him to run out there - just curious if that's actually the case.

I imagine the position coaches are making the call on who goes in unless they planned on someone going in for a series. However, I'd imagine Frost knows who's on the field as he's calling plays. 

1 hour ago, Ziebol said:

Have you watched our games this year? Have you watched Noa try to block someone? Have you seen how many screens get blown up compared to last year even though we have better talent running those screens in Wandale? 
Also I don’t care who starts but when the person isn’t getting the job done and the guy on the bench is the best perimeter blocker per the coaches themselves and our offense thrives on getting out in space, maybe the grad transfer and JUCO dud needs to ride the pine as we look down the barrel of another losing season. My annoyance isn’t with who plays and doesn’t, my annoyance is with the staff continuously saying how close this player is or how good this player is or how this player blocks the best or how this player hits the hardest, but using them in ways that seem like an absolute waste or not using them at all. 

Yep, I've watched him miss AND I've watched him succeed in blocking people and do a great job.  In fact, I'm not the only one that noticed.  Scott Frost also said he did a good job:

“We’re trying,” Nebraska coach Scott Frost said. “I’m really surprised the ball hasn’t found Kanawai yet. He did some really good things in the game, blocked well and ran some good routes. The ball just didn’t find him.”

https://www.theindependent.com/sports/college/huskers_hq/frost-looking-for-more-consistent-offense/article_a4428db2-d4eb-11e9-a177-7f8d79199b54.html

SO, which is it?  Should I believe someone on an internet board that Noa can't block and sucks and believe this NARRATIVE you are so adamant about spinning?  Or should I trust in our coaches who see him every day and review film and KNOW what he brings to the table.

Sorry mate, you lose. I trust our coaches.

Stop this moronic tirade where you talk crap about our players and create narratives that are false in order to shade them.  It's not cool.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I don’t know quite how to say this, but my biggest concern is our head coach’s detachment from the defense. He delegates and there seems to be no accountability other than “we’ve got to do a better job as coaches” (and players and equipment managers). His curt “I don’t call the defense” answer sticks in my craw like a dry, unbuttered biscuit. I feel like Frost is an OC and not a HC and that is costing the team in multiple ways. I also am starting to feel like his evaluation of some of his assistant coaches is colored by UCF’s magical undefeated season, which made him believe he had the greatest assistant coaches in the world. They are not translating well to the BigTen so far and, while I can see some playmakers wanting to play in Frost’s offense, I see recruiting Blue Chip defenders as a huge problem until we get a defense that isn’t going to showcase embarrassing games and make mediocre teams look like world-beaters.

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Yep, I've watched him miss AND I've watched him succeed in blocking people and do a great job.  In fact, I'm not the only one that noticed.  Scott Frost also said he did a good job:

https://www.theindependent.com/sports/college/huskers_hq/frost-looking-for-more-consistent-offense/article_a4428db2-d4eb-11e9-a177-7f8d79199b54.html

SO, which is it?  Should I believe someone on an internet board that Noa can't block and sucks and believe this NARRATIVE you are so adamant about spinning?  Or should I trust in our coaches who see him every day and review film and KNOW what he brings to the table.

Sorry mate, you lose. I trust our coaches.

Stop this moronic tirade where you talk crap about our players and create narratives that are false in order to shade them.  It's not cool.

Look man we are obviously on two sides of the spectrum here. If you want to hang your hat on an article that says he blocked well after the Colorado game so be it. Blocking isn't all a receiver does though in your book though right? So read the rest of the article how he had a grand total of 0 catches through the first two games. Real solid production against two of the weakest teams on the schedule. Now find me any recent article where Frost gives him or Williams praise for those blocks. Or show me where their stats are jumping and warrant them starting. Why not talk about Noa's fumble against Indiana that led to them going up by two touchdowns or WIlliam's still not knowing how to line up correctly and costing the team.  When the most recent interview with the head coach is him saying Hickman has been the best guy at the position in terms of perimeter blocking, something has to change and should have changed. If the head coach is flat out saying a true freshman is a better perimeter blocker than a senior grad transfer and a JUCO with 2 years in the system and those two guys have a whopping 258 total receiving yards, than it is absurd to not play Hickman over them because it can't get worse than what they bring to the table. You can believe the coaches words from after GAME 2 about Noa, but I will believe the stats from the rest of the season.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/nebraska-football-cornhuskers-biggest-challenges-rest-2019
https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-midseason-report-card-the-good-the-bad-the-knowns/article_ee8be786-38a2-5975-ac9c-43608a91dbcc.html

9 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Look man we are obviously on two sides of the spectrum here. If you want to hang your hat on an article that says he blocked well after the Colorado game so be it. Blocking isn't all a receiver does though in your book though right? So read the rest of the article how he had a grand total of 0 catches through the first two games. Real solid production against two of the weakest teams on the schedule. Now find me any recent article where Frost gives him or Williams praise for those blocks. Or show me where their stats are jumping and warrant them starting. Why not talk about Noa's fumble against Indiana that led to them going up by two touchdowns or WIlliam's still not knowing how to line up correctly and costing the team.  When the most recent interview with the head coach is him saying Hickman has been the best guy at the position in terms of perimeter blocking, something has to change and should have changed. If the head coach is flat out saying a true freshman is a better perimeter blocker than a senior grad transfer and a JUCO with 2 years in the system and those two guys have a whopping 258 total receiving yards, than it is absurd to not play Hickman over them because it can't get worse than what they bring to the table. You can believe the coaches words from after GAME 2 about Noa, but I will believe the stats from the rest of the season.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/nebraska-football-cornhuskers-biggest-challenges-rest-2019
https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-midseason-report-card-the-good-the-bad-the-knowns/article_ee8be786-38a2-5975-ac9c-43608a91dbcc.html

We're better off in the long run if Hickman can keep his year.  Simple as that.  Especially since he'd been injured.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, TheSker said:

We're better off in the long run if Hickman can keep his year.  Simple as that.  Especially since he'd been injured.

Would we though? There are as many if's to him keeping his redshirt, or any players redshirt, as there are to if he burned it. If the coaches preach no fear of failure and a desire to excel, then they have not followed that with who they have played this year. They have been extremely conservative this year and it shows in the record. Would Hickman or Johnson playing meaningful snaps this year have helped our chances at a bowl game? No one knows that but it can't be worse than what we are seeing now. Does having Hickman and Johnson keep their redshirt for another year mean it will work out in the long run? No one knows that, in theory it could be great, but also could end in them being injured, transferring, getting passed by someone else, etc. I see both sides of the argument , but if the goal this year was to be bowl eligible, then you have to do what ever is necessary to get to that because a bowl and extra practices is going to go a very long way for the future of  this team then sitting at home in December looking down a brutal 2020 season and us fans sitting there saying " Well at least we got Hickman and Johnson for another year."

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Would we though? There are as many if's to him keeping his redshirt, or any players redshirt, as there are to if he burned it. If the coaches preach no fear of failure and a desire to excel, then they have not followed that with who they have played this year. They have been extremely conservative this year and it shows in the record. Would Hickman or Johnson playing meaningful snaps this year have helped our chances at a bowl game? No one knows that but it can't be worse than what we are seeing now. Does having Hickman and Johnson keep their redshirt for another year mean it will work out in the long run? No one knows that, in theory it could be great, but also could end in them being injured, transferring, getting passed by someone else, etc. I see both sides of the argument , but if the goal this year was to be bowl eligible, then you have to do what ever is necessary to get to that because a bowl and extra practices is going to go a very long way for the future of  this team then sitting at home in December looking down a brutal 2020 season and us fans sitting there saying " Well at least we got Hickman and Johnson for another year."

Yes sir. Also missing a bowl game again is not a good look for recruiting. We need to have the appearance of trending up. 

2 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

I don’t know quite how to say this, but my biggest concern is our head coach’s detachment from the defense. He delegates and there seems to be no accountability other than “we’ve got to do a better job as coaches” (and players and equipment managers). His curt “I don’t call the defense” answer sticks in my craw like a dry, unbuttered biscuit. I feel like Frost is an OC and not a HC and that is costing the team in multiple ways. I also am starting to feel like his evaluation of some of his assistant coaches is colored by UCF’s magical undefeated season, which made him believe he had the greatest assistant coaches in the world. They are not translating well to the BigTen so far and, while I can see some playmakers wanting to play in Frost’s offense, I see recruiting Blue Chip defenders as a huge problem until we get a defense that isn’t going to showcase embarrassing games and make mediocre teams look like world-beaters.

This is a big concern of mine as well. As the head coach it is his job to keep tabs on offense, special teams and defense. Every piece of the program needs to have his fingerprint. He does talk more like an OC than a head coach. He is responsible for the D and needs to take heat for them sucking not just deflect and say that is Chins job.

4 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

If you'd prefer the Minnesotas, Iowas, and Wisconsins to stop mauling us, then yes we need to redshirt most freshmen.

2 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

When talking to the media he's not going to come out and throw Chinander under the bus...

19 minutes ago, TheSker said:

If you'd prefer the Minnesotas, Iowas, and Wisconsins to stop mauling us, then yes we need to redshirt most freshmen.

So in order to compete with those 3, we need to just not play our talent in hopes they can develop without any real game experience, without any additional  practices via a bowl, without bringing in top talent to compete with them because we are going on a third losing season in a row and top talent doesn't flock to that? That sounds like fear of failure to me. 

So not playing freshman is the way to go. I wish there was an example of a team that started their freshman in the Big 10, took their lumps for a season or two , and in year 3 became a top 10 team......

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

So in order to compete with those 3, we need to just not play our talent in hopes they can develop without any real game experience, without any additional  practices via a bowl, without bringing in top talent to compete with them because we are going on a third losing season in a row and top talent doesn't flock to that? That sounds like fear of failure to me. 

So not playing freshman is the way to go. I wish there was an example of a team that started their freshman in the Big 10, took their lumps that year, and in the following year became a top 10 team......

I'm glad our coaching staff is looking out further than one year.

Minnesota can build their team however they think is best.

Frost has a blueprint that worked for a long time.

And just like Minnesota did, we're taking lumps right now.  If Minnesota has one or two bad classes, it won't be sustainable.

35 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

You're saying you know better than an entire team of coaches how to handle Hickman?  And you're saying you know better than all the coaches who see him blocking and route running that he's better than everything we got at all facets of WR position?

I think you are creating a narrative based on one comment from Frost.  I still think you should stop.

1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

You're saying you know better than an entire team of coaches how to handle Hickman?  And you're saying you know better than all the coaches who see him blocking and route running that he's better than everything we got at all facets of WR position?

I think you are creating a narrative based on one comment from Frost.  I still think you should stop.

Where did I say I know better than the entire team of coaches in that entire quote you chose?