Obama pulls the race card. Imagine that

Obama says Republicans will use race to stoke fear By Caren Bohan

Fri Jun 20, 7:19 PM ET

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (Reuters) - Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama said on Friday he expects Republicans to highlight the fact that he is black as part of an effort to make voters afraid of him.

ADVERTISEMENT

"It is going to be very difficult for Republicans to run on their stewardship of the economy or their outstanding foreign policy," Obama told a fundraiser in Jacksonville, Florida. "We know what kind of campaign they're going to run. They're going to try to make you afraid.

"They're going to try to make you afraid of me. He's young and inexperienced and he's got a funny name. And did I mention he's black?"

He said he was also set for Republicans to say "he's got a feisty wife," in trying to attack his wife Michelle.

"We know the strategy because they've already shown their cards. Ultimately I think the American people recognize that old stuff hasn't moved us forward. That old stuff just divides us," he said.

Obama, born to a white mother from Kansas and a black father from Kenya, has cast himself as a candidate who can bridge divides within the country, including those involving race.

It has been rare for him to bring up the topic during his presidential bid. In March he gave a widely praised speech on the subject after receiving criticism over racially charged comments by his longtime pastor.

Obama, who faces Republican John McCain in the November election, would be the first black U.S. president.

"It is going to be very difficult for Republicans to run on their stewardship of the economy or their outstanding foreign policy," Obama told a fundraiser in Jacksonville, Florida. "We know what kind of campaign they're going to run. They're going to try to make you afraid.

"They're going to try to make you afraid of me. He's young and inexperienced and he's got a funny name. And did I mention he's black?"

You don't think that there is going to be a certain segment of 527 groups and sleazebag Republican operatives that have and will do exactly that?

Did you see where Republican strategists and commentators (including Rush Limbaugh) claim that Michelle Obama is on tape using the word "whitey?" When called on that, they all backed down.

Have you seen the internet and email chain rumors that Obama is a Muslim and was sworn into the Senate using a Koran? That isn't true either.

Have you seen the claims that Obama says racist things in his book? Also, not true.

They lies and smears of Obama have already started. To his credit, McCain has generally distanced himself from these things, but yet he is still benefitting from them with a certain segment of the population. Nonetheless, it is ridiculous for you to attack Obama for stating the obvious.

You don't think that there is going to be a certain segment of 527 groups and sleazebag Republican operatives that have and will do exactly that?

Did you see where Republican strategists and commentators (including Rush Limbaugh) claim that Michelle Obama is on tape using the word "whitey?" When called on that, they all backed down.

Have you seen the internet and email chain rumors that Obama is a Muslim and was sworn into the Senate using a Koran? That isn't true either.

Have you seen the claims that Obama says racist things in his book? Also, not true.

They lies and smears of Obama have already started. To his credit, McCain has generally distanced himself from these things, but yet he is still benefitting from them with a certain segment of the population. Nonetheless, it is ridiculous for you to attack Obama for stating the obvious.

There is nothing ridiculous about what I posted, I did not attack Obama as you say. I posted what he said and was quoted on. This race is between Obama and McCain and I guarentee that the 527's and SLEEZEBAG Democrate operatives work both ways. There will be a lot of misinformation put out there from both sides backers but this was not one of those times. He was QUOTED as saying that. If you don't like what he says being printed and repeated then that is on you.

Obama pulls the race card. Imagine that

At a minimum, that is extreme sarcasm. I believe I fairly interpreted it as an attack on Obama for his stating the facts.

That is not an attack, or extream sarcasm. It is the title of a thread to get people read the post. It just so happens to also accurately describe the post. Did he or did he not bring up his race in the quoted post?

....and he did mention his race, but simply mentioning his race is not "pulling the race card" as you say. If we was going to comment on people unfairly attacking him because of his race, he would pretty much have to mention his race, wouldn't he? If not, how would you suggest he mention that he is being attacked because of his race without mentioning his race?

So you decided to use an inflammatory title just to get me to read the rest? Sure, I believe that.....just accept that the title is your commentary on what he said; or are you just trying to distance yourself from an unfair attack?

Answer this question, was he quoted as bringing his race into it or not? Since the answer is yes how can the title be inflamatory. I stated a fact with the title. How is it unfair to state the obvious when that was his intent on saying it in the first place.

So you decided to use an inflammatory title just to get me to read the rest? Sure, I believe that.....just accept that the title is your commentary on what he said; or are you just trying to distance yourself from an unfair attack?

Answer this question, was he quoted as bringing his race into it or not? Since the answer is yes how can the title be inflamatory. I stated a fact with the title. How is it unfair to state the obvious when that was his intent on saying it in the first place.

I'll answer your question, please answer mine. Yes, he mentioned his race, but the title is inflammatory because you are saying he "pulled the race card." Are you suggesting that a mere mention of his race is "pulling the race card?" If so, how does he talk about being attacked because of his race without "pulling the race card?" And then adding "imagine that" obviously implies that you think he is of course willing to "pull the race card" to try and gain some advantage.

Look, we both know what you wrote and what you intended when you wrote it. The real question is why you won't admit it....

I'll answer your question, please answer mine. Yes, he mentioned his race, but the title is inflammatory because you are saying he "pulled the race card." Are you suggesting that a mere mention of his race is "pulling the race card?" If so, how does he talk about being attacked because of his race without "pulling the race card?" And then adding "imagine that" obviously implies that you think he is of course willing to "pull the race card" to try and gain some advantage.

Look, we both know what you wrote and what you intended when you wrote it. The real question is why you won't admit it....

I answered that already "That is not an attack, or extream sarcasm. It is the title of a thread to get people read the post. It just so happens to also accurately describe the post. Did he or did he not bring up his race in the quoted post?"

I am glad that you think you can tell my intentions by what I posted. Now if you could just be correct on those assumptions. I used the headline I did for the reason I stated and I felt it was more of an attention getter than "Obama says Republicans will use race to stoke fear" which was the original title of the article

If so, how does he talk about being attacked because of his race without "pulling the race card?"

Where has McCain or his team attacked him for being a black candidate. McCain has as much control over his followers as Obama does his.

And then adding "imagine that" obviously implies that you think he is of course willing to "pull the race card" to try and gain some advantage.

You are correct here. I feel he will use his race if he thinks it will benifit him. He already has.

Obama says Republicans will use race to stoke fear By Caren Bohan

Fri Jun 20, 7:19 PM ET

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (Reuters) - Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama said on Friday he expects Republicans to highlight the fact that he is black as part of an effort to make voters afraid of him.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said he was also set for Republicans to say "he's got a feisty wife," in trying to attack his wife Michelle.

"We know the strategy because they've already shown their cards. Ultimately I think the American people recognize that old stuff hasn't moved us forward. That old stuff just divides us," he said.

Obama, born to a white mother from Kansas and a black father from Kenya, has cast himself as a candidate who can bridge divides within the country, including those involving race.

It has been rare for him to bring up the topic during his presidential bid. In March he gave a widely praised speech on the subject after receiving criticism over racially charged comments by his longtime pastor.

Obama, who faces Republican John McCain in the November election, would be the first black U.S. president.

I do not know why this would surprise anyone. I was just wondering what took him so long? I takes me back to the promo he cut for the WWE. "Do you smell what Barack is cook-in'?" I wonder if it smells like that load of crap he shoveled to everyone about "bridging divides" and being the "candidate of change."

This is the Barack Obama who in 2005 intervened in the Maryland Senate race between Lt. Gov. Michael Steele and Ben Cardin. Steele who happens to be a black Republican, was leading late in the race, and was set to be the first African American Senator elected for the state of Maryland. Many black Democrats had endorsed Steele, and went so far as printing up Democrats for Steele paraphernalia. Well of course that didn't sit well with Howard Dean, so he sent Obama down to help Cardin, a white cable company owner. Obama tells the people there to vote on the issues and not on race. Steele barely loses his race for the Senate. However the racial attacks against him was fine, only if it is done by a Democrat. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2005/n...1-104932-4054r/

Here's another stellar example from nationally circulated magazine Esquire, referring to Lynn Swan, Michael Steele and Ken Blackwell as lawn jockeys of the Republican Party. http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ1006ESQ100_208_1

After the Steele affair, Obama two weeks later shows up to campaign for Congressman Harold Ford Jr., a black Democrat running for Senate from Tennessee. In a speech to a primarily black audience given on Ford's behalf, Obama is quoted saying, "Help send a another brother to the Senate, because I don't want to be alone." referring to race. Ford eventually lost because of family legal scandals that plagued his campaign. Obama uses his race when he needs to, and tells people to vote the issues when he thinks it shouldn't matter.

When Michelle Obama puts herself out on the stump spreading the Obama mantra, every word will be scrutinized. You can't check yourself into the game, and then put on the green jersey and whine when you get sacked. If Obama doesn't like it, then don't put her out there.

Obama should be the last person to talk about race since he sat in a church for 20 years listening to his father figure and spiritual leader Pastor Jeremiah Wright.

For those people who thought they were getting this new kind of politician that people were fainting over. Well I guess the jokes on you. So Obama is just being what he says he isn't, someone that is ambitious, politically expedient, always ready to throw his next sacrifice under the bus for change, and that's change that we can all believe in. Somebody cue the harps, I need a drink...........

Just stating a fact, at least as much as you were stating a "fact" saying "pulls the race card." See how you can editorialize a "fact?"

Except you know nothing about me and what I posted as a title was reference to the full article that was made public and there is no doubt as to what he said.