Shock of the off-season!!

Who wouldve expected to see this lean mean machine in the 2 slot behind Joe D!!! If he ends up seeing the field in '04 that will be amazing. But it looks like it could be closer to a reality than we ever imagined! Uh ohhh.,,

Davis moves into backup QB spot

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL

Beau Davis is a true freshman. He stands about 6 feet, 3 inches. He said his weight, honestly, is 165 pounds.

And if the football season began today, he'd be the top backup quarterback on the Nebraska football team.

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said Tuesday that Davis took more snaps during the Huskers' second practice of fall camp than he did Monday, and that the coaches are grooming him as the No. 2 quarterback.

"It's a big shock," Davis said. "I didn't expect that the second day of practice."

Nobody did, really. Then again, over the summer, when folks began labeling Jordan Adams as the biggest challenger to Joe Dailey for the starting quarterback spot, everybody assumed Adams would be healthy.

He's not.

"He's still not feeling great," Callahan said, referring to Adams' winter bout with mono and ensuing spleen problems. "He lost considerable weight. Close to about 18 pounds. And it's really affected his play and his strength."

Callahan said the coaches will be cautious with Adams and how they proceed with him.

Enter Davis, who has a strong arm but a very lean build.

"I'm comfortable," Callahan said. "I've never hesitated in playing a young player, whether it was in the National Football League or college football. If that's the best player at that position, we play him. We're going to have to get him out there and utilize his skills.

"Now, whether or not he'll hold down that position as we go through the duration of camp, that remains to be seen."

Davis seems encouraged. He said he's been working hard in the film room, listening in meetings and studying the thick playbook.

Davis also has one of the strongest arms of the NUquarterbacks. Playing last season for Venice High School in Venice, Calif., Davis completed 67 percent of his passes for 3,152 yards and 40 touchdowns.

"A lot of guys have strong arms, but just the accuracy ... I think I have a lot better accuracy than some of the guys," Davis said. "But Joe and them, they know the offense. I'm starting to learn it. That's kind of the advantage they have over me."

Davis understands the biggest knock against him:He's skinny.

"It is a concern," he said. "But as of right now, as I'm learning the offense and stuff. ... I'm getting down the offense. That's the main part.

"It's kind of a problem, but in a couple of years, as I'm in the weight room at Nebraska and eating the food ... it's going to come along. It's pretty much guaranteed that the weight's going to come."

Callahan said Davis' stature shouldn't be a deterrent.

"It's not a weakness, because he still throws the ball pretty well," he said. "He spits it out of his hand quickly. He's got good command, excellent poise. You'd like to have him bigger, but that will be in a few years."

http://journalstar.com/articles/2004/08/11...ll/10053505.txt

This is probably the closest he'll get to starting all year. Dailey doesn't seem to have the big time arm, or the speed, or the height, or the experience, but he knows how to get the team in the endzone and win games. And after everything is said and done that's the QB's #1 job..........WIN.

This is all preseason hype. Callahan is trying to give some of these new guys a shot with the 1's to see if they can do it.