Richie Incognito a new person??

Well Im not exactly convinced just b/c he has a few good quotes. Of course he's going to be on his best behavior with a new coach and all. In the end he's still a hothead and better keep it outta his lower end this season b/c I don think Wags will be taking much crap. Plus I think RI realizes this season will greatly affect his future finances in the NFL.

http://journalstar.com/articles/2004/08/18...ed581517021.txt

Incognito trying to gain leadership skills, lose weight

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE

The evolution of Richie Incognito as a football player has spawned a slightly different way in which he approaches the game.

In a nod to his veteran status — he's preparing for his third season as a starter — the fiery Nebraska standout center thinks more about leadership, about how others might regard his actions and digest his words.

"I've sat down and thought about it long and hard," said Incognito, a preseason All-Big 12 pick by Athlon Sports, Lindy's and Street & Smith's.

Incognito, in fact, has discussed leadership with his offensive line coach, Dennis Wagner.

"Coach Wags talks a lot about being positive when you're correcting guys — not harping on guys so much," Incognito said. "If I notice something, I'll say something. I feel comfortable with that. But there are also times when you have to lay off. I think that's something I have to work on. ... I have to try to take a positive approach."

Much has been made of Incognito's notorious temper. It flared Sunday in practice during a goal-line scrimmage, an inherently intense drill. Incognito and 6-foot-6, 275-pound defensive lineman Adam Carriker exchanged words and forearms, and Husker coaches weren't exactly thrilled about the outburst, Incognito said.

"It doesn't need to be happening, especially on the goal line — or anywhere on the football field," Incognito said. "We got that taken care of really quick. Things are going in the right direction."

That wasn't necessarily the case early last week when Nebraska began preseason camp. Incognito reported for drills weighing 325 pounds. (He was listed at 300 in last year's media guide.) A bout with bronchitis curtailed his pre-camp workouts, and he felt sluggish when camp began, he said.

Incognito's still trying to overcome his bronchitis, not to mention a sore groin and back.

"Nothing major," he said.

Incognito said his weight is down to 312 pounds. He hopes to play somewhere between 305 and 310, he said.

"It's just a matter of playing catch-up now," Incognito said. "It's gotten to the point of no more excuses. The sickness is behind me. Now it's time to start making plays."

Nebraska's offensive line is considered by many to be a question mark on a unit that's in the midst of adjusting to a West Coast system. Although three starting offensive linemen return from last season's 10-3 squad, most of the returning players are accustomed to blocking in a run-oriented attack.

Incognito, a left tackle in the last two seasons, will be expected to anchor the middle in 2004. Indeed, he's regarded as one of the team's most talented and explosive players, someone Nebraska can't afford to lose.

Consequently, Incognito and his coaches have been frustrated during the first nine days of preseason camp as Incognito has missed parts of practices because of his ailments.

Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan was asked Tuesday whether there was anything in particular leadership-wise he'd like to see from Incognito. The coach paused for a few seconds, smiled and said, "I'd just like to see Richie play his game. It's so important in training camp that you get the necessary reps to get ready for the season.

"It's unfortunate that Richie's been nicked and bothered by some minor ailments. But hopefully, he can get himself right so he can get the reps he needs to get ready for the opener."

Said Wagner: "Richie's had a very tough camp."

Nebraska opens the season Sept. 4 against Division I-AA Western Illinois. The Huskers are intent on improving an offense that ranked 83rd nationally in total offense last season, including 10th in the Big 12.

"The coaches threw a lot at us during the first week of camp; we got everything installed," Incognito said. "Now, it's just a matter of fine-tuning everything. We're having a lot of miscues, a lot of stupid mistakes that shouldn't be happening. But I think we're in a good spot."

Nebraska's a well-oiled machine compared to where it was during the spring, when Callahan introduced his offense.

"We have an idea of what we're doing," Incognito said. "That's why I say we're making stupid mistakes — because we know what to do, we know how to do it. But everything's so high-tempo. People sometimes just get their brains overflowing. It's a mess.

"But we're right where we need to be."

Wagner, of course, keeps pushing his linemen to improve.

"He's extremely fair and extremely demanding," Incognito said. "He reminds me a lot of Coach (Milt) Tenopir. Real good guys. The O-linemen and Coach Wags, we're one group. Just like it was with Coach Tenopir. It's a great feeling."

Actually, Incognito said, Wagner is more outspoken than Tenopir, who was Nebraska's line coach for nearly three decades before retiring after the 2002 season.

Although the program has undergone massive change since Incognito's arrival on campus, at least one trait remains: Incognito expects to dominate.

"Center's a position where you either dominate or get dominated," he said. "There's no gray area in my book."

Man, oh, man, does this guy worry me. All the talent in the world. But if ever there was a season for him to be above reproach on the field, this is it. We have a new offense being implemented that absoluely requires the center of the line to deny a "push" by the defense. We have a new quarterback - no matter who it is - who will have either little collegiate experience, little West Coast offense experience, of both. We have a realtively inexperienced line that is having to switch their thinking 180 degrees.

In other words, we need Richie on the field, and we need him desperately.

I truly hope he realizes that, and he really can tame his temper. It can be done - look at Wallace with the Detroit Pistons. Compared to his behavior while in Portland, Wallace was a practically a gentleman on the court this year.