Panic in Lincoln??

In a related story, Coach Cal remains optimistic.... really?? Wow that is weird... thanks DN!!

Callahan begins season with question marks, optimism

By Robin Washut / Daily Nebraskan

August 19, 2004

The seemingly endless days of preparation and speculation have finally narrowed to a reality, and thus begins Year One of the Bill Callahan Era.

Following one of the biggest revamps of a system this state has seen since a guy named Devaney first set foot on campus in 1962, the Nebraska football program is now within three weeks of unveiling its new makeover to Husker Nation.

Ready or not, here comes some West Coast flavor to the to good old Nebraska U.

“Bringing (the West Coast offense) into college football is a challenge, no doubt,” Nebraska Coach Bill Callahan said. “I can’t make any guarantees or promises that it is going to take off and lead the league in total offense, or do those things, because it is predicated on a lot of different levels.

“It’s hard to predict how we will do in the first year with the transition. I’m confident because I’m a confident person in terms of teaching the system.”

This aura of confidence seems to have overtaken a Cornhusker team that had seemed to be lacking it at times over the last few years.

Whether it stems from Callahan’s NFL mentality or the opportunity he offers to start over from scratch, the Huskers have assumed the role of a team on a mission.

No one truly knows how cards will be dealt to NU by season’s end, but the Huskers certainly aren’t showing their poker faces when it comes to their expectations.

“We think we have a great chance to bring it (the Big 12 championship) home this year,” junior defensive tackle Le Kevin Smith said. “We have pretty much the same defense coming back and the offense is going to be eye opening. I think we have a great chance to take home the Big 12 crown.”

While the Huskers’ intentions are all and good, there are still some mighty steep hills to climb before any championship dreams can be realized.

The Huskers are now playing under their third coaching staff in as many years, making any type of unity and familiarity awfully difficult to develop.

Throw in a quarterback, whoever it may be, who has never started a game, or in some cases, even taken a snap at the Division I level, and the learning curve gets even sharper.

One of the positives of NU’s coaching carousel, though, is that it has forced the players into an almost Darwinian state of adaptation.

Either learn and succeed, or let the evolution of the game run you into extinction.

Luckily for NU, the players seem to have chosen the former.

“I think that transition is a good thing,” junior safety Josh Bullocks said. “The changes we made from one system to another in the off-season have gone smoothly. We have been through a lot as a team. The changes are going to make us strong. We have learned to move on, regardless of the situation.”

Along with Nebraska’s introduction to the West Coast offense, which compared to the option is like comparing War and Peace with a copy of Goosebumps, the Huskers have had to familiarize themselves with almost a completely new coaching staff.

With receiver’s coach Tuner Gill (formerly quarterback’s coach) and tight end’s coach/recruiting coordinator Scott Downing the only holdovers from last season, there have been many new faces and philosophies for the players to learn.

How well the new concepts are learned, however, won’t be known until the first Saturday of September.

“The expectations are always high, and our expectations are very high,” Callahan said. “But I also want to temper where we are at. It is hard for me to project where we are going until we see it live against an opponent. I am encouraged by what I see, but there are still concerns. How our depth comes about and how healthy we stay are both major factors.”

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/vnews/displa...9/412427435f425

MSNBC profiles the WCO adaptation in Lincoln

LINCOLN, Neb. - There have been numerous reports of unidentified flying objects over Nebraska.

The Lincoln police department attempted to squelch the fears of the citizens by determining the objects merely were footballs.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5751776/

While I love the option, and bemoan the fact that Nebraska won't be running it, I have to admit - that's pretty funny!