A Carriker making a name for himself

I really think AC is going to be one of the break out players of the year. He is just a freak of nature athletically - he already won lifter of the year, so he has all the tools. He almost seem to fit the mold of a bigger Wistrom.

Just exactly where the Nebraska sophomore will line up could be more of a question mark.

If the 6-foot-6, 275-pound Carriker has his druthers, he'll play defensive end. He's strong, he's quick, and the Huskers' 2004 lifter of the year is able to generate a serious pass rush.

And if Carriker's linemates are healthy, that's probably where he'll play. 

So far this fall, that's been a big if.

When starting tackle Le Kevin Smith and backup tackle Brandon Teamer were sidelined earlier this week with nagging leg injuries, Carriker stepped inside and played alongside junior tackle Titus Adams.

Carriker had already been playing tackle in Nebraska's nickel package, but this move was more permanent.

Well, temporarily permanent. By Thursday, Smith and Teamer had both returned, and Carriker was seeing more snaps at his natural position. But he's got the talent and knowledge to play tackle in any situation, if needed.

That's an added bonus in the eyes of Nebraska defensive line coach John Blake.

"Any time guys can get experience at another position, it just helps us prepare to keep our best people on the field," Blake said. "The more versatile guys you have, I think the better you can be defensive-wise."

In a normal, healthy setting, Nebraska's starting defensive line looks like this:Smith and Adams playing inside, with Carriker and either Jay Moore or Benard Thomas at defensive end.

A banged-up tackle or two - as has been the case this week - and you'll see Carriker step over.

"He's awfully talented, and he's mighty strong inside," Nebraska coach BillCallahan said. "He gives us the push you want in the pass rush. The run reads ... and his ability to come off blocks and disengage and run to the ball is a little bit new to him because he's in close quarters. That's different for him. But his main position and the featured position for Adam is on the edge. We don't want to take him out of that spot."

Carriker, who played in nine games last season, had a breakout spring. He recorded three tackles for loss, including two sacks, in the spring game. Blake said he's got a motor that "goes 100 miles an hour."

Carriker, although he prefers end, is willing to contribute wherever needed.

"I'm learning a lot," he said. "(Tackle) is somewhat similar to end, but it's quite a bit different. It's the different blocking schemes you get. Like at end, there's probably maybe tougher blocking schemes you get, but Ihandle them a lot better ... because I'm used to it. I've been doing it for a couple of years now. I've got to adjust and learn how to play better at (tackle)."

Adams understands and appreciates what Carriker is experiencing. Adams was a reserve tackle in 2002, then switched to defensive end last season, but often moved back to tackle on passing situations.

"I know in practice that can be pretty demanding," Adams said. "But I think it pays off for you later on.

"With football, injuries will occur, and I think (Carriker) being able to play inside will help us out a lot. It won't be no drop from the inside position if one of us does get hurt."

Carriker's versatility is extremely valuable given Nebraska's depth problems along the defensive line, especially at tackle. Matt O'Shea is out for the year with a blood clot, and Brandon Greeson left the team, meaning Teamer, who played in 12 games as a true freshman, is the only experienced backup tackle.

Other reserve tackles include senior Jeff McBride and junior Nathan Krug. Both walk-ons are working with the second units, but neither has extensive playing experience.

Blake said there's promise with Nebraska's young players, which include the likes of true freshmen Ty Steinkuhler, Adam Blankenship and Danny Muy, who was moved from offensive line last week, but that they're not ready to contribute.

"You only need four to play ... but I like to play seven or eight guys. Keep 'em fresh, keep 'em rolling," Blake said. "(Strength coach)Dave Kennedy has done an excellent job, a magnificent job, preparing our kids to get into the kind of condition they need to be in."

http://journalstar.com/articles/2004/08/20...ll/10053907.txt

I really hope he can stay at defensive end. While he's strong and gets a push up the middle at tackle, over the length of an entire game he's bound to get worn down going up against players that are usually a minimum of 30 pounds heavier. And since he does get a push, he's going to get double-teamed. Unlike at end, that double-team would mean two 300+ pounders. I have no doubt that he'd give it his all on each play at tackle - I'm just afraid that "his all" would just have to decrease in those circumstances.

At end, he has a chance to really display all his talents and best help the team.