Can the I-back conspiracy be put to bed yet?

Can the I-back conspiracy be put to bed yet?

October 9th, 2006

By David Rischling (DJR313)

HuskerWeekly Sports Analyst

Cody Glenn is being slighted. Callahan feels the need to force-feed his prized 5-star recruit Marlon Lucky and make him the man. Kenny Wilson is the hot up-and-comer. Callahan seems to have accelerated him up the depth chart because he likes his speed. Brandon Jackson is lurking in the shadows. Cody Glenn appears to be the odd man out.

Bullsh#t.

Those were all story lines in the local media in the past few weeks. On Saturday night, neither Marlon Lucky or Kenny Wilson had a carry against Iowa State. The result, Nebraska wins behind 2 gutty performances from the “overlooked” I-backs. Callahan, Norvell and Randy Jordan have maintained that playing time will be different for each back, each game and that they will go with the hot hand (or hands in this case) if it is working. Would it be possible to take what the coaches have to say at face value for once? The coaches made their stance known, and so far this season, they have stuck to that.

It seems as if an I-back controversy is a lot more interesting than having 4 capable guys that would do anything to help their team win. It does not matter to me who is back there. I love to see the line fire off on their blocks and see the back hit the hole and make someone miss or run over a defender for an extra couple yards. Take a look at what Callahan has standing on the sidelines ready to play:

Finish this article & comment here

:woo