Trev's take on the So Miss matchup

RedCountry

I know some people think TAs an a-hole but personally I enjoy his commentary on espn. Without him there would be just be another Mary Kay May runnin his trap.

Trev's Take, 9/10

Trev Alberts, a former Nebraska All-America outside linebacker, is in his third year as a college football analyst for ESPN. The 34-year-old Iowa native will share his thoughts on the Huskers before each game.

"I think this is a perfect second game for Nebraska. We now know Joe Dailey can run this offense. The next step for him is facing a defense that shows a lot of different looks. In this game, Nebraska at times will look up and think, ‘Southern Miss has shifted, they're doing something different here.'

"Believe me, Southern Miss has some good athletes on defense. And (defensive coordinator) Tyrone Nix has been good at scheming and coming at you with a lot of different blitzes.

"Nebraska now knows its offense will work. But this week, the Huskers are going to be challenged mentally and physically. I'm not saying Western Illinois didn't do some good things, but come on, dude, this is a whole different level.

"Nebraska in this game is going to see how it responds when it has negative plays on offense. Everything went right early against Western Illinois. But in this game, Nebraska might find itself in negative situations early. How will the Huskers respond?

"This game will be a perfect example of a situation in which the Blackshirts can say, ‘Hey, it's on us. This is a game for us to ensure that if the offense struggles early, that's OK, because we'll hold down Southern Miss.' I thought the Blackshirts established themselves last week."

As for Nebraska's problems on special teams, "That was unacceptable," Alberts said.

A prediction?

"I'll say 31-7," Alberts said. "I'm not a big believer in Southern Miss' offense. I'm not saying it won't be a dogfight up until about the second quarter. But this might be an example where Bill Callahan shows he has remarkable ability to make adjustments at halftime."

— Steven M. Sipple

http://journalstar.com/articles/2004/09/10...ea020894972.txt