Ross Wearing Green

Benard

Cory Ross was embarrassed to even discuss the subject.

But a Nebraska I-back wearing a green jersey certainly raises eyebrows.

"I don't even like talking about it," Ross said. "I think I'm the first I-back to ever put a green jersey on in practice."

Green jerseys are typically worn by quarterbacks as a symbol that they're off-limits for defenders to hit during practice.

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said Ross first donned the green jersey last week so he wouldn't take any hits.

"It's just to heal me up a little bit," Ross said.

Is Ross feeling OK?

"Yeah, I'm feeling good," Ross said. "Even if I wasn't, you know, I wouldn't tell you."

Callahan said Ross was among several players coaches backed down during Tuesday's practice.

Ross carried 24 times for 73 yards in Nebraska's victory Saturday in Pittsburgh. He admitted he probably could have gained more yards had he not slipped so often on the wet grass at Heinz Field.

"That's the most frustrated I've ever been since I've been playing football," Ross said.

"Just falling when I knew I could've did something with that play and with the ball in my hands.

"I watched film, and you actually get a little upset when you see it, because there were some holes there. If I would've hit it, there might have been more yards."

Did Ross try changing shoes?

"I had one set of shoes," Ross said. "They were actually brand new shoes. The grass was part of the problem, but at the same time I was a little off-balance trying to make cuts, too."

Ross said the slippery conditions caused him to change his running style, which in turn led to him taking some hard hits.

"It was so hard for me to really not take too many hits, because I'm so used to sliding and falling the right way," Ross said. "I just had to try to run straight and take as many hits as possible and get as many yards."

ross in Lincoln paper