Zach Potter

Benard

I don't know if it's an issue of good or bad, but it has to be done until Nebraska High School coaches start throwing the ball.

These kids have to develop early.

I don't see Nebraska teams ever get to where they throw the ball consistently. It's NEBRASKA. Smashmouth USA and the weather just isn't going to work.

I just don't know if weather plays that important of a role. How many times in the last ten years has there been poor weather at a home Husker game. '96 Colorado is one that comes to mind. Rain and cold don't matter that much, especially with all the hand warmers and things. The wind can be a pain in the ass, but West Coast Offense is all about short passes.

I just don't know if weather plays that important of a role. How many times in the last ten years has there been poor weather at a home Husker game. '96 Colorado is one that comes to mind. Rain and cold don't matter that much, especially with all the hand warmers and things. The wind can be a pain in the ass, but West Coast Offense is all about short passes.

I disagree and some other college coaches I have talk to think it will play a factor. They say their is a reason why no teams in Nebraska like to pass the ball. I think the weather will play a role, not just the snow but the cold weather isn't made for passing and breaking fingers. Also can we consitently get recruits from Florida and California in the hot weather come to cold windy nebraska.

We Will find out.

Weather is a huge factor in any football game played in Nebraska. Especially on Friday nights. High school coaches have to run the ball because their quarterbacks just don't have the strength to throw the ball with any precision. I think that Nebraska still has to recruit in state especially on the Lines because we need the big beef eaters who don't mind physical contact.

Weather is a huge factor in any football game played in Nebraska. Especially on Friday nights. High school coaches have to run the ball because their quarterbacks just don't have the strength to throw the ball with any precision. I think that Nebraska still has to recruit in state especially on the Lines because we need the big beef eaters who don't mind physical contact.

Well don't count on it because it isn't going to happen. 1 or 2 guys from omaha that'll be about it or some ungodly talent elsewhere.

Hmmmm...that may be true for skill position players - but why does it follow that Nebraska kids won't be recruited for the line, linebackers, or tight ends? Those positions aren't affected by the West Coast offense - you don't need different kinds of athletes for those positions.

My opinion is nebraska high school lineman won't be for bill because what does 95% of nebraska high school run? The smashmouth run and option. They don't pass pro. He won't get them because they don't pass pro. He won't get linebackers because they aren't his type here. He's not going to go get a small town type guy like shanle,sievers etc. He might get a class A type like ruud but it doesn't look like he's going after gritton so maybe not even them. He might get a few tight ends.

Well, let's see. Assuming Nebraska kids are like any others in the nation in their desire to go pro - or at least have a shot at it - they'll want to go to a program that teaches pass blocking skills. Now, they may not come into the program with the level of pass-blocking skills that kids from states that have more passing offenses will have, but that's part of the evaluation process - can a kid be taught the skills? Does he have good feet? If so, then they'll fit the system. They may take an extra year of coaching, but physically they have the skills.

Sure, if the coaching staff can recruit players that already have more of the skills, they'll do that. But it seems that most linemen tend to stay in the geographic region more than skill players. That means that Callahan and staff may not be able to recruit the numbers that are needed outside the mid-west in general, and Nebraska in particular.

Finally, high schools tend to eventually run the offenses of the major college in their region. Over time, we'll probably see more high schools going to more open offenses, which means that more linemen will have the same basic pass-blocking skills that are found in linemen in other states.

Well, let's see. Assuming Nebraska kids are like any others in the nation in their desire to go pro - or at least have a shot at it - they'll want to go to a program that teaches pass blocking skills. Now, they may not come into the program with the level of pass-blocking skills that kids from states that have more passing offenses will have, but that's part of the evaluation process - can a kid be taught the skills? Does he have good feet? If so, then they'll fit the system. They may take an extra year of coaching, but physically they have the skills.

Sure, if the coaching staff can recruit players that already have more of the skills, they'll do that. But it seems that most linemen tend to stay in the geographic region more than skill players. That means that Callahan and staff may not be able to recruit the numbers that are needed outside the mid-west in general, and Nebraska in particular.

Finally, high schools tend to eventually run the offenses of the major college in their region. Over time, we'll probably see more high schools going to more open offenses, which means that more linemen will have the same basic pass-blocking skills that are found in linemen in other states.

I disagree, I think Bill will be going after the tall 6'6 lineman who are made for pass blocking from cali and florida and Texas etc. Not the the 6'2 lineman who are stocky and bulldoze you over. He's going to get lineman who are use to pass blocking so they are that much further ahead in the game. ANd I don't think Nebraska high schools will go to the pass. Sure maybe a couple do or will but with our weather and our type of talent it will be run based no doubt.