Another Article on Wagner and oline

Benard

At this point, it'd be premature to pronounce new Husker head coach Bill Callahan as the favorite for Big 12 coach of the year. His offense has been consistent only in its inconsistency.

The Huskers are 2-1, but it's not a particularly impressive 2-1.

Nevertheless, at the risk of hasty judgment, the early favorite for Nebraska assistant coach of the year (OK, I'm inventing an award here) ought to be, in my humble opinion, a stocky fellow from Waverly, Iowa, which claims to have "the best educated and friendliest people in Iowa," according to usacitiesonline.com.

Waverly, by the way, is also home to the renowned Midwest Draft Horse Sale.

Well, first-year Husker offensive line coach Dennis Wagner is the proud owner of a master's degree in athletic administration and is one of the friendliest guys you'll ever meet. So, perhaps it's true what they say about Waverly.

What's more, Wagner evidently can coach a little. To be sure, he has his horses — in this case, his Nebraska offensive linemen — moving in the right direction, or so it seems.

Nebraska, idle last week, takes the nation's 22nd-ranked offense into Saturday's home game against 2-2 Kansas.

I hope they aren't getting to much praise because they haven't proven much yet. We haven't played a good team yet.

WAgner