John Mabry: Gates lives championship moment

John Mabry: Gates lives championship moment

OMAHA — So you’re Amanda Gates, a sophomore from Columbus, Nebraska, and this is your moment.

It’s happening. It’s really happening.

You play for Nebraska, and this is the NCAA volleyball championship, and there are 17,000 people yelling really loud.

It’s on ESPN2, and ESPN2 doesn’t do a lot of matches in Columbus, so this is sort of a big deal. You are doing all you can to support your teammates, but there is only so much you can do standing on the sideline wearing your warmup jacket.

Advertisement

You’ve been standing by the bench for close to 90 minutes, just as you stood all night in your team’s semifinal win against UCLA. But the clock strikes 9:37, and you are asked to replace freshman star Kori Cooper on the floor with your team behind 23-19 in game three. You’ve been summoned to do more than cheer and pass out high-fives.

You’re in the middle of it, really in the middle of it.

A net violation gives a point to the Huskers. 23-20. But the Cardinal comes out smoking again and goes up 25-21.

This is your time. You remember how family and friends told you that this would be your day. You remember those notes of encouragement from Dani Busboom and Tracy Stalls, the your-time-will-come notes of encouragement.

Your team makes it 27-25, then 27-26. This is your time, Amanda Gates. You remember your word — impact. You remember that you’ve been here before. As a freshman, you were not afraid of Stanford. You helped your team beat the Cardinal in three games a year ago right here at Qwest Center.

You go up for a block against Cynthia Barboza. Barboza is not from Columbus. She is from Long Beach, Calif., and she is really good. She has 451 kills. She is an All-American. You haven’t played in a match in two weeks. You did not play in the team’s semifinal win against UCLA.

You remember what everyone told you on this day, that the Huskers were not going to win without you, that they couldn’t win without you.

You jump as high as you can jump, with Rachel Holloway at your side, and Barboza strikes that blue-and-white bomb with all of her might.

You do not flinch. You remember the clips the coaches showed the team of last year’s Stanford match. You remember that you can do this.

The ball ends up back in Stanford’s yard.

Point Nebraska. 27-27.

But you are not finished, not on your day. You and All-American Jordan Larson go up again, this time against Stanford’s Cinderella, Erin Waller. Again, Stanford is denied. NU 29-28. Sarah Pavan follows with a kill that clinches game three.

In game four, you are at it again, this time with a diving save on a Stanford serve. The Huskers take the point to go up 11-10, and your coach has a feeling that the Cardinal is done. They are done.

Now they’re passing out championship stuff. Watches. They call out No. 15, Kori Cooper, the Husker who had your back while you were out there in her place, the Husker who won the middle blocker job you wanted, the Husker you cheered for despite it all.

Then they call out the next number.

No. 17, Amanda Gates

You are a champion. You were ready to make an impact, just like you said you would be, and now you are a national champion, you and a lot of kids from all over North America, but mostly from Nebraska.

“It’s the heart of the Nebraska girl,” you say.

Now you’re in the locker room, and you’re crying because you can’t believe it and you are so grateful to the ones who shared that room with you.

“My team supported me through all of this,” you say. “I went through ups and downs, and my team was always telling me I’m going to make an impact when I go there.

“This is unimaginable,” you say. “I can’t even describe it, the feelings right now. Like Coach said. It’s going to change our lives forever.

“I truly believe that.”

It’s not a dream, and you have a watch to prove it, a watch you can set to 9:37 and save forever.

Reach John Mabry at 473-7320 or jmabry@journalstar.com.