NU defensive backs' inspired play leaves Elmassian

Benard

From before the first days of training camp in August, the Nebraska secondary figured to be the strength of this defense.

Even the strength of the entire football team.

What Phil Elmassian witnessed Saturday night, though, exceeded his high expectations.

"I'm just stunned," said Elmassian, first-year coach of the Nebraska defensive backs. "I can't even be sure if I believe what I saw. The effort from those guys was absolutely unbelievable. I've been in this business for a long time, and without watching the tape I already know I have never seen an effort like that."

The NU defensive backs certainly did come up big Saturday in guiding the Huskers to a 14-8 win over Kansas at Memorial Stadium. The experienced group accounted for nine pass breakups, one interception and numerous other big plays.

And still, for the second straight game, they had to bat down what could have been a last-second, game-winning pass in the end zone.

The Huskers held KU out of the end zone despite the Jayhawks' 82 total offensive plays. Nebraska had just 56 snaps on offense.

Kansas quarterback Adam Barmann completed 24 of 49 passes for 200 yards, with none going for longer than 23 yards.

More here