Beau Davis not suprised

Benard

A smile may have crossed his face when he heard the news, but that was about the extent of Beau Davis’ reaction.

After learning last week that he would move up to the No. 2 quarterback spot on Nebraska’s depth chart, the freshman from Venice, Calif., has kept a modest demeanor on the field.

In Davis’ mind, the promotion isn’t something to get all that excited about. It’s only the beginning.

“It’s really not a big thing to me, I was actually kind of expecting it,” Davis said. “It’s not a big surprise. I’ve just been doing the best I could every day in practice, and the coaches must have noticed.”

Davis came to Nebraska following a stellar prep campaign as one of three quarterbacks brought in by NU Coach Bill Callahan.

Completing 60 percent of his passes, Davis threw for 3,152 yards and 40 touchdowns in his senior year.

Three of his wide receivers caught more than 1,000 yards, as the 6-foot-4, 185-pounder threw just 10 interceptions that season.

Now at Nebraska, it has been Davis’ work ethic that has caught the eye of a coaching staff searching for its quarterback of the future.

“It’s a reflection of how the guys are working in practice, and it’s really not a reflection on Ryan (Goodman),” NU offensive coordinator Jay Norvell said. “We just think Beau has done some things in practice that merits his position on the depth chart.”

The release of the Huskers’ new depth chart Tuesday marked the first change at quarterback since fellow freshman Goodman replaced junior Mike Stuntz at No. 2 at the end of fall camp.

While sophomore Joe Dailey is still the Huskers’ starter, Davis sees the move as just another step toward reaching his ultimate goal.

But it’s also a step he has no plans of losing anytime soon.

“If I just keep it up and continue to get better, I’m pretty sure I’ll keep the spot,” Davis said. “But anything can happen. Nothing’s ever set in stone. I have to keep on working hard for the rest of the season

story