Tech writer "idolizes NU"

Guest Huskerboard

Guest Huskerboard

Clark: 'Huskers will have difficulties against Tech, but still my love

This sort of thing does not happen very often. That is, Nebraska coming to town.

Once every four years, the team I grew up idolizing returns to West Texas to play the Red Raiders, and it usually is a hallmark moment. This time, though, I find myself wishing, for Nebraska's sake, that the Cornhuskers stay in Lincoln, Neb.

After hours of breaking statistics down and considering intangibles, this is one of the closest games on paper I have seen since beginning a career at The UD.

I could share all the stats, but numbers are boring and cold. So, in the interest of remaining entertaining, the mailbag must be reopened after remaining sealed for more than a month.

Hey Kyle, isn't it true Tech has never beaten Nebraska? And if it is, why are you so worried it is going to happen now? Terry from Peoria, Kan.

Terry, it is true Tech never has defeated the Cornhuskers. The reason for concern, though, is in the fact that the Nebraska team that has taken the field each week this season is not the same Nebraska team that has defeated Tech so many times. The Cornhuskers offense has been anemic, and Nebraska quarterback Joe Dailey has thrown 11 interceptions in four games.

While Nebraska's Blackshirt defense has remained potent, it may not be enough to offset an improved Tech defense playing against the 'Huskers porous offense.

Kyle, what is the key to a Tech victory against Nebraska? Bill from Lubbock.

Well Bill, if Tech studied its game film against Oklahoma and played an exactly similar game, it would be extremely hard for Nebraska to escape with a win.

Against the Sooners, Tech held the ball for a longer period of time, which allowed the Raider defense to rest. Tech also settled for field goals and punted the ball on fourth down, playing a good field position game against Oklahoma.

The Sooner offense simply was too good. Despite less than perfect field position and a good defensive effort by Tech, Oklahoma's offense was up to the test.

The 'Husker offensive, on the other hand, would not fare as well against such a game plan. If Tech used good punter Alex Reyes to put the Nebraska offense in bad situations, Dailey likely would respond with turnovers that could help Tech win.

Hey Kyle, enough gibberish. Which team will win and why? Sam from Brownfield.

Sam, although the intangibles seem to play in Tech's favor, Nebraska still is my pick to win this game.

I picked Nebraska at the start of the year, and although this decision likely will reserve me the label of "homer," a Nebraska victory remains a strong possibility.

The Cornhuskers will play the field position game against Tech. Nebraska will run the football and try to put Dailey in comfortable passing situations to protect against turnovers, while depending on a defense that is ranked No. 5 overall and No. 6 in pass efficiency.

The Blackshirt defense likely will force Tech passer Sonny Cumbie into throwing a couple of picks. How Tech responds will decide the game. If the Raiders remain composed and maintain a field position game, they can win. But it is more likely Tech will attempt some deep, challenging passes to get back into the game and Nebraska's defense will prove better at stopping a comeback than Kansas.

Hey Kyle, you tubby goon, I have been writing you e-mails for three weeks with no mailbag. Why don't you pry your digits from around a burrito and slap them on a keyboard? By the way, does Texas stand a chance in hell at beating Oklahoma? Ray from Austin.

Thanks for the pep talk, Ray. From now on, the mailbag no longer will go untouched so long.

In response to your Texas query, the Longhorns stand a chance at beating Oklahoma, but it is about as good of a chance as me putting that burrito down. What does it matter as long as Cedric Benson wins the Heisman? Oh yeah, it matters a lot...to everyone but Benson.

Enjoy the Tech vs. Nebraska showdown and the Red River Shootout, but celebrate responsibly. I would hate to be regaled with tales about a Saturday spent in a Citibus paddy wagon.

http://www.universitydaily.net/vnews/displ...6/4163598c5b0f0