Football is season No. 1 for Grixby

Benard

Already established as a key member of the Nebraska secondary, true freshman Cortney Grixby has joined an elite group that includes Ralph Brown, Keyuo Craver and Fabian Washington.

Grixby is now ready to attempt something those other three never tried: a jump shot.

His first two months of life as a Division I football player have not deterred Grixby from following through on his high school desire to play two sports at this level. The 5-foot-9, 160-pounder said Wednesday he plans to join the NU basketball team shortly after the football season ends.

Coaches of both teams appear happy to let him try it, he said.

"That's the plan, to do the hoops thing," said Grixby, an every-down player at right cornerback since senior Lornell McPherson suffered a hamstring injury Sept. 11. "For me, I don't think it will be all that much of an adjustment. I've been going right from one sport to the other with almost no break for as long as I can remember."

Grixby participated in football, basketball and track at Omaha Central.

He earned one of his first scholarship offers from NU Basketball Coach Barry Collier. The offer was later pulled back after the Huskers recruited a pair of point guards last season, but Grixby has always been welcome to join the squad as a walk-on.

The basketball team opens practice Oct. 16, the day that would mark the exact midpoint of the football season if Nebraska fails to win the Big 12 North Division but still qualifies for a bowl game.

"They're going to have a real big head start," Grixby said, "and that's something that's new for me. But I'm not looking to go in there and take anyone's spot. I do think there's some way for me to help out."

Grixby helped direct Central to a third consecutive state-tournament berth as a senior on the basketball court. But the prolific jumper often ranked no higher than the Eagles' fourth offensive option.

It's a different story with football. He was considered the No. 1 prep prospect in Nebraska last fall and among the top five cornerbacks nationally, despite rarely playing the position last year.

Rest here