NU-Texas Tech should be 'fun', announcer says

Benard

Ron Thulin said TBS viewers should be in for a treat when the cable network televises the Nebraska-Texas Tech football game Saturday night.

"If you like offense, this is going to be fun to watch," Thulin said. "This is the kind of game I get a kick out of doing."

Thulin will handle the play-by-play duty for TBS' telecast of the 6:10 p.m. game from Lubbock. Expect at least a 31/2-hour game, he said, but not an out-and-out shootout.

"Defense has obviously carried Nebraska and Coach (Bill) Callahan told us that in July at Big 12 media days," Thulin said from San Antonio. "But I'm very impressed, considering the caliber of players they lost. Their secondary is very impressive and Barrett Ruud's playing like he's always played.

"Texas Tech's given up 28 and 27 in their two losses. They're playing a lot better. Last year they couldn't even line up right."

Thulin will be joined by Charles Davis in the TBS booth and Craig Sager on the sideline. Because of what Texas Tech does and because NU has installed a new offense, Thulin said the trio is busy preparing this week.

With NU at 3-1 and Texas Tech at 3-2, Thulin calls it an intriguing Big 12 Conference matchup.

"It's a must-win situation for both teams, I think," Thulin said. "Texas Tech has only five home games this year, so they've got to protect their home turf or they're not going to go to a bowl. Nebraska needs this game because they've still got to play at Kansas State and play Oklahoma, and they're trying to win the North

more here