nu notes

Benard

True freshman Keenan denies report of transfer

Nebraska true freshman linebacker Michael Keenan, who missed Saturday's Texas Tech game and sat out the past three practices for personal reasons, on Wednesday denied a television report that he planned to transfer to Big 12 rival Kansas.

"Anything like that that's been on radio, the Internet, television — it's all false," Keenan said. "There's still some things going on. I'm going through some personal issues, and nothing's been decided."

Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan said he expected to talk with Keenan sometime in "the next day or two."

"I'm hopeful he can resolve whatever personal problems he has," Callahan said after Wednesday's practice.

Keenan, a 6-foot-2, 220-pound native of Kansas City, Mo., remains enrolled in classes at NU. He was among three true freshmen who made their season debut on Nebraska's special teams in the second game, a loss to Southern Mississippi. He is yet to record a tackle.

As a senior last season at Oak Park High in Kansas City, Keenan rushed for 1,908 yards and scored 23 touchdowns. He also made 86 tackles, recorded three sacks and forced a pair of fumbles to lead his team to a 7-3 record in the state's largest classification (6A).

IMPROVING MOOD: Nebraska offensive tackle Mike Erickson said that, as one might expect, spirits were low Sunday when the Huskers returned to the practice field following their 70-10 loss Saturday night at Texas Tech. However, Erickson said, Nebraska's mood has since improved significantly, as have the team's practices. "Everybody came in really ready to work," he said. "We knew we couldn't practice or perform like that again." The plane ride back from Lubbock was extremely quiet, defensive end Jay Moore said. "I know I didn't say a word," he said. "Everybody was either sleeping or just sitting there puzzled."

OBSERVATION: Husker secondary coach Phil Elmassian had an interesting observation about Texas Tech's offense. "Their passing game, to a degree, is very similar to ours — it truly is," he said. "It's what we call a triangle/vertical game. It just so happens, they do it on every play." Indeed, Tech passed 61 times and rushed 15.

more here