Flu

Benard

Say this about Nebraska wide receiver Isaiah Fluellen: When he picks his time to break out, he does it in a big way.

The third-year sophomore made his first career reception, a 43-yard touchdown catch, last year in an NU road win at Southern Mississippi.

Saturday at Memorial Stadium, six games into what had been a disappointing season for him, Fluellen awoke. He caught a pair of first-half passes, for 27 and 45 yards, and both went for touchdowns.

"I've been patiently waiting," Fluellen said after the Huskers' 59-27 rout of Baylor. "I wasn't going to change anything. I've been going about my business. I knew my time was coming."

For Fluellen, the past two months have been frustrating and painful. Injuries to the hamstrings in both of his legs stole from Fluellen the speed that distinguishes him among the NU group of receivers. His playing time for much of the season's first month was virtually nonexistent.

At times, Fluellen said, he thought his career as a football player could be over.

story